Page 2 of 23 [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 6:06 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
So what's causing these kids to go on shooting sprees?

The great unexamined link is mind-altering drugs, legal and illegal.

beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 6:20 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:

That is being and has been looked at.

For instance:

https://millennialjournal.com/2019/09/2 ... -men-kill/
"
Why Young Men Kill
September 25, 2019 Guest Contributor

It’s time we started talking about our young men, about why they become mass shooters, serial bombers, and homegrown terrorists. If any other demographic had demonstrated such a dangerous capacity for violence, we certainly would have probed deeper by now.

98% of mass shooters are men—and most are disaffected young men, whether American, Syrian, French, or Belgian—and they belong to and support a variety of religions and creeds. And yet, we are mostly silent about the demographics surrounding this particularly male phenomenon.

Many of the murderers also seem to share a common biography across racial, religious, and geographic boundaries: they were young men who were unable to come to grips with a complex world that did not live up to their own cultural, political, and social expectations. After this, they latch onto some ideology, extremist interpretations of their religion, and/or misogyny to justify their violence.

But what leads men, particularly young men, to act out their frustration through violence?

One thing missing from modern American culture is the initiation rite for young men. In almost all cultures, it was understood that boys did not just “become” men; rather, there was an intentional process that they had to undergo and that had to be acknowledged by the elders of the community. Without it, they’d become self-absorbed and violent.

According to writer and Catholic priest Fr. Richard Rohr, the intention of any initiation process is to communicate five hard truths:

1. Life is hard.
2. You are not that important.
3. Your life is not about you.
4. You are not in control.
5. You are going to die.

The sacred experience of these truths would help the young boy transition into adulthood by desacralizing the self-absorbed ego, reintegrating him back into the community. If not initiated, the young man could become violent and narcissistic. Combine that with access to military grade weapons and extremist rhetoric, and you get a lethal combination.
"

Also,

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelp ... 10729.html
"
Referring to young men in his circumstances, he noted: “Somebody’s gonna die every day from gun violence, because this is how our mind is registered. We don’t know no other way out. We have no structure.”
"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 6:20 pm

Quote:

Autism. I bet you any money you like that in a few days it will be reported that the killer was autistic. They always turn out to be autistic. And being autistic is no excuse to go around killing people, no matter how resentful and lonely they were. I'm resentful and angry with society but do I go around killing innocent people? No. SO STOP CLAIMING YOU HAVE AUTISM, YOU EVIL LOWLIFE LITTLE s**ts!! !! !! ! (Referring to these shooters and serial killers).

Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD

I don't like autism being mentioned to me as I'm partly in denial.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 6:41 pm

Good grief.
Autistic people aren't calculating murderers.
Psychopaths are.

Statistically, there's a chance that some of the victims and / or teacher were autistic or neurodiverse.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I won't have sympathy until that f****d up country stops letting anyone own guns. :x

Suppose he's autistic like all the other killers. :roll:

ffs autism is not that bad

1. I'm the only person you will find looking through the hoover dust compartment for my tickle because I sucked it up whilst I was cleaning (and that does not include the tickle hunts that occur at bedtime and more!).

2. I like my sense of humour...even if people do look at me like I'm an alien when it pops out of me.

3. People don't accept me but i am not a member of the recent *autistic killers are us* brigade

4. I was developmentally delayed in some ways but forwards in others...yet at the same time I had an iq that put me in the top 2 percent of the population.

5. I'm a Madonna fan but as there is no accounting for taste we won't go much into that then...viva la desperately seeking Susan and the virgin tour! *ahem*

excuse my typos, I have lazy caps mode syndrome lately (lowercase central).

Please ignore media representations, they are doing my head in too!

Last edited by Earthbound_Alien on 24 May 2022, 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:12 pm

They were all looking forward to summer break. :cry:

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:34 pm

I’m only 21 and I’m already old enough to remember many shootings such as:

The Aurora, CO movie theater shooting
Sandy Hook
The Orlando night club shooting
Las Vegas Shooting
Parkland

Those are just the ones that had the most news coverage, at least from what I can remember.

Every single damn time, it always follows with gun debates, thoughts and prayers, politicians speaking out, etc. and what always happens? Well, certainly not enough to prevent the same exact things happening over and over again.

A few years from now we’re gonna have yet another mass shooting. It’s a cycle that never ends.

‘MURRICA!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:38 pm

Oh no.
:cry:
Associated Press
Texas school shooting kills 18 children, 3 adults
By EUGENE GARCIA and DARIO LOPEZ-MILLS 38 minutes ago

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas ... e787d092b2
"
UVALDE, Texas (AP) — An 18-year-old gunman opened fire Tuesday at a Texas elementary school, killing at least 18 children, officials said, and the gunman was dead.

The death toll also included three adults, according to state Sen. Roland Gutierrez, who said he was briefed by state police on the fatalities. But it was not immediately clear whether that number included the assailant.
"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:44 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
I’m only 21 and I’m already old enough to remember many shootings such as:

The Aurora, CO movie theater shooting
Sandy Hook
The Orlando night club shooting
Las Vegas Shooting
Parkland

Those are just the ones that had the most news coverage, at least from what I can remember.

Every single damn time, it always follows with gun debates, thoughts and prayers, politicians speaking out, etc. and what always happens? Well, certainly not enough to prevent the same exact things happening over and over again.

A few years from now we’re gonna have yet another mass shooting. It’s a cycle that never ends.

‘MURRICA!

Buffalo, just last week.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:01 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
One consistent factor in most mass shootings is the killer is usually a teenager or close to it. I fully expected what I read; "The suspect was an 18-year-old male". So what's causing these kids to go on shooting sprees? Other info makes this look very similar to Sandy Hook. Tragic doesn't begin to describe it. I wonder if like others he exhibited warning signs and or left warning messages.

It makes one think in terms of a "Manchurian Candidate".

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:02 pm

Another mass murder in the USA? Is it tuesday again already?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Mikah wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

The great unexamined link is mind-altering drugs, legal and illegal.

I think there is more to it.

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:20 pm

shlaifu wrote:

Because too many people think gun control = emasculation. Also because of our failure to combat ideologies like the Great Replacement, white nationalism, or the whole incel thing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:25 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Because too many people think gun control = emasculation. Also because of our failure to combat ideologies like the Great Replacement, white nationalism, or the whole incel thing.

There is more to it.

And one more thing,

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:26 pm

:cry:
Two days left, only 2 days left.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/texas- ... 022-05-25/
"
May 24 (Reuters) - The children at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, were two days away from their summer break when Tuesday's massacre unfolded.

They had visited the zoo and participated in a gifted-and-talented showcase, recent posts on the school's Facebook page showed. Tuesday was awards day, according to the calendar, and students were invited to wear a nice outfit and fun shoes as part of a "footloose and fancy" theme.
"

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:28 pm

It has to do with someone who has such a grudge and hatred against society that they will harm the most vulnerable to inflict the most pain.
Gun control is a start ,but you have to address why they have this anger and hatred or they will just run someone over with a truck, blow up a building ,or start stabbing.