Page 10 of 33 [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 33  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 6:13 pm

Trump Is In Deep, Deep, Deep, Deep Trouble Trump Is In Deep, Deep, Deep, Deep Trouble - John Podhoretz for Commentary

Quote:
The testimony this afternoon of Cassidy Hutchinson, the aide to Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows, cannot be dismissed. If what she has testified to, sworn under oath, is not countered or contradicted by Meadows or Trump’s White House counsel Pat Cippolone—either under oath themselves or eventually before a grand jury—then there is a credible criminal case that Trump violated the law in ways not dealt with by the second impeachment, and from which he would not be shielded by executive privilege. It’s possible her memory is faulty, or that she is a fantasist and that none of this happened. But she has reported directly on things that went on inside the White House and around the Oval Office on January 5 and January 6 that go beyond the merely circumstantial.

The case the January 6 committee is building in a far more painstaking manner than anyone could have expected is that Trump knowingly encouraged the formation of and participated in the forward deployment of a crowd he knew was armed. He was told so on January 6. We also know now that Trump had told Meadows to make contact on January 5 with Roger Stone and Michael Flynn, both of whom were communicating with the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers—some of whose leaders have been charged with seditious conspiracy. We also know that Meadows told Hutchinson he was going to go to the suite personally but she either changed his mind or he did and he called instead. What was said on the call we do not yet know.

Hutchinson testified that Trump was told by the Secret Service they were making the crowd at the rally on January 6 go through magnetometers because they were armed. Trump was angered by this, something she knew because she was “in the vicinity of a conversation where I overheard the president say something to the effect of, ‘You know, I don’t f-ing care that they have weapons. They’re not here to hurt me. Take the f-ing mags away. Let my people in. They can march to the Capitol from here. Let the people in. Take the f-ing mags away.’”

You’re going to hear people call this “hearsay.” It is not hearsay. It is direct testimony of contemporaneous things said in Hutchinson’s earshot about events that were taking place while she was listening.

And here’s the rub for Trump. He has so far been protected by Meadows and Cippolone because they have refused to testify to the committee under claims of executive privilege—that Congress does not have the power to force them to speak about their direct conversations with the president or the actions they may have taken under his direct authority because the executive branch is not subordinate to the legislative branch. But they can testify if they choose. If they do not, they will, in essence, be allowing Hutchinson’s testimony to stand. If they do, and they do not say everything she said was a lie, her testimony will stand and be bolstered by them. And if they testify and say their recollections of the days were different, they will have to report in what way they were different—and will not be able to refuse to answer questions they find uncomfortable.

But if they do remain silent and Hutchinson’s testimony is not somehow rebutted, they can be made to testify if Attorney General Merrick Garland convenes a grand jury on the basis of the revelations of the January 6 committee and subpoenas them. Failure to testify under those conditions will lead to prison time.
I did not think this day would come. I have said as much on our podcast many times. But as a result of the bombshells today, there’s no question now that Donald Trump is staring down the barrel of an indictment for seditious conspiracy against the government of the United States.

And I haven’t even gotten to the possible witness tampering!

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 6:46 pm

All I want for Christmas is . . .

Quote:
Donald Trump is staring down the barrel of an indictment for seditious conspiracy against the government of the United States.
. . . to see the indictment lead to a conviction.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 6:56 pm

Podhoretz can be characterized as being a staunch conservative.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 7:08 pm

I hope the committee examines the tweet that Trump sent about 6 PM on January 6th.

Telling the insurrectionists that he "loves" them, but that they should get away from the riot scene and go home.

It was actually at 4:17 PM. Here it is:

4:17 p.m. Trump tweets a video downplaying the events of the day, repeating false claims that the election was stolen and justifying what his followers did, saying: “I know your pain, I know you’re hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us. It was a landslide election and everyone knows it, especially the other side. But you have to go home now. We have to have peace. … You’re very special. You’ve seen what happens. You see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil.” That’s certainly not a condemnation. This was the first time Trump suggested that his followers go home, and he did so rather tepidly.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 28 Jun 2022, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I feel mildly surprised, but certainly not amazed, since the events described in the testimony are in line with what others have told about Trump's behavior.

It's also going to warm the hearts of his followers, who seemed perplexed that he hadn't joined them that day. Now they'll know it wasn't his fault that he did not.

Just an observation. Not saying that is good or bad.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 9:08 pm

Peter Alexander Chief White House Correspondent for NBC wrote:
A source close to the Secret Service tells me both Bobby Engel, the lead agent, and the presidential limousine/SUV driver are prepared to testify under oath that neither man was assaulted and that Mr. Trump never lunged for the steering wheel

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 10:40 pm

Road Runner, the coyote's after you.
Road Runner, if he catches you you're through.
That coyote is really a crazy clown,
When will he learn that he never can mow him down?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 6:11 am

John Gotti was an excellent Road Runner—until he was finally caught.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 8:53 am

The teflon don - Teflon Don.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 9:00 am

We might see Trump die on a prison hospital bed----just like Gotti did.

I don't want that fate for anybody-----but people who like to be nasty get less of my sympathy, in general.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 11:17 am

I've yet to listen to episode 5 or the Hutchinson edition, but I have seen headlines and newsclips. Seems trumpty dumpty might just fall off the wall and not have any horses or men to put him back together again.

Fnord wrote:
All I want for Christmas is . . .
Quote:
Donald Trump is staring down the barrel of an indictment for seditious conspiracy against the government of the United States.
. . . to see the indictment lead to a conviction.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :santa:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 11:39 am

Tony Ornato did not brief Cassidy Hutchinson that Trump tried to lunge at Secret Service agent: sources

Quote:
A source close to former Trump Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations Tony Ornato says he did not brief Jan. 6 Committee witness Cassidy Hutchinson on one of the major allegation she made to the committee Tuesday.

a source close to Ornato told Fox News that Ornato watched the hearing yesterday and was shocked when Cassidy made the allegation about the steering wheel.

Both Bobby Engel, the top agent on Trump's Secret Service detail who was in the car, and Ornato, who was not in the car, testified to the January 6 Committee in private over the past year, the source close to Ornato said.

Engel and Ornato never brought up part about steering wheel, according to that source. Both want to testify on the record again and refute the part about Trump grabbing or trying to grab the wheel. The driver of the SUV, who is unnamed, will also cooperate with the committee.

A source close to the USSS says Hutchinson was truthful when she said that Trump was furious inside the SUV. Trump did want to go to the Capitol on January 6 and was yelling and shouting. However, the steering wheel part is false, per this source.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 12:29 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tony Ornato did not brief Cassidy Hutchinson that Trump tried to lunge at Secret Service agent: sources
Quote:
A source close to former Trump Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations Tony Ornato says he did not brief Jan. 6 Committee witness Cassidy Hutchinson on one of the major allegation she made to the committee Tuesday.

a source close to Ornato told Fox News that Ornato watched the hearing yesterday and was shocked when Cassidy made the allegation about the steering wheel.

Both Bobby Engel, the top agent on Trump's Secret Service detail who was in the car, and Ornato, who was not in the car, testified to the January 6 Committee in private over the past year, the source close to Ornato said.

Engel and Ornato never brought up part about steering wheel, according to that source. Both want to testify on the record again and refute the part about Trump grabbing or trying to grab the wheel. The driver of the SUV, who is unnamed, will also cooperate with the committee.

A source close to the USSS says Hutchinson was truthful when she said that Trump was furious inside the SUV. Trump did want to go to the Capitol on January 6 and was yelling and shouting. However, the steering wheel part is false, per this source.

The grabbing the wheel part was always a bit of "I heard so and so said," and might have been best left out of the testimony. I don't think it's key. I do trust Ms. Hutchinson told the truth to the best she understood it, but on this she was never a direct witness.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:02 am

Trump has done worse grabbing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 8:47 am

The claim: "Evidence shows the U.S. Secret Service has debunked ex-White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony that she gave under oath before the U.S. House Jan. 6 panel."

The claim is blatantly false.

The official Secret Service statement reads as follows: "The United States Secret Service has been cooperating with the Select Committee since its inception in spring 2021, and will continue to do so, including by responding on the record to the Committee regarding the new allegations surfaced in today’s testimony."

Nowhere in this official statement is Ms. Hutchinson's testimony "debunked".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 9:34 pm

Accounts of Trump angrily demanding to go to Capitol on January 6 circulated in Secret Service over past year

Quote:
Then-President Donald Trump angrily demanded to go to the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, and berated his protective detail when he didn't get his way, according to two Secret Service sources who say they heard about the incident from multiple agents, including the driver of the presidential SUV where it occurred.

The sources tell CNN that stories circulated about the incident -- including details that are similar to how former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson described it to the House select committee investigating January 6 -- in the months immediately afterward the US Capitol attack and before she testified this week.

While the details from those who heard the accounts differ, the Secret Service sources say they were told an angry confrontation did occur. And their accounts align with significant parts of Hutchinson's testimony, which has been attacked as hearsay by Trump and his allies who also have tried to discredit her overall testimony.

Like Hutchinson, one source, a longtime Secret Service employee, told CNN that the agents relaying the story described Trump as "demanding" and that the former President said something similar to: "I'm the f**king President of the United States, you can't tell me what to do." The source said he originally heard that kind of language was used shortly after the incident.

"He had sort of lunged forward -- it was unclear from the conversations I had that he actually made physical contact, but he might have. I don't know," the source said. "Nobody said Trump assaulted him; they said he tried to lunge over the seat -- for what reason, nobody had any idea."

The employee said he'd heard about the incident multiple times as far back as February 2021 from other agents, including some who were part of the presidential protective detail during that time period but none of whom were involved in the incident.

The source added that agents often recounted stories of Trump's fits of anger, including the former President throwing and breaking things.

"Not just plates," the source added,

The other Secret Service source, who spoke to the driver and another agent who wasn't there, said he heard about Trump verbally lashing out at his detail but not about any physical altercation. Neither source told CNN they had heard about Trump trying to grab at the steering wheel.

Three of the people present for the encounter in the presidential SUV, a modified armored version of a Chevrolet Suburban were Trump, detail leader Robert "Bobby" Engel, and the driver whose identify is not publicly known at this time.

Hutchinson herself didn't see the incident firsthand.

Meadows intermediary may have tried to influence Hutchinson's testimony to January 6 committee, sources say
Quote:
One of people who may have been trying to influence Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony did so at the behest of former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, according to multiple sources familiar with information gathered by the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, insurrection.

Republican Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the vice chairwoman of the committee, brought up two examples of possible witness intimidation at a hearing featuring Hutchinson, who was an aide to Meadows in the Trump White House, earlier this week, without naming a witness or who made contact. Sources now tell CNN that both instances recounted by Cheney were directed at Hutchinson, and that Hutchinson believes the messages were intended to impact her testimony.

Multiple sources now tell CNN the witness was Hutchinson and the "person" referred to in the message, which was redacted in the version projected on a screen during the hearing, was Meadows.
Ben Williamson, a spokesperson for Meadows, denied that Meadows or anyone in his "camp" attempted to intimidate Hutchinson or influence her testimony.

"No one from Meadows camp, himself or otherwise, ever sought to intimidate or shape her conversations with the committee," Williamson told CNN.