Page 7 of 33 [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:01 pm

They ransacked the Capitol Building.

I AM watching the hearings. Arch-Republicans are testifying to all the nonsense pulled by Trump and his acolytes.

Those people testifying are NOT liberal/progressive Democrats. Many are Republicans who voted for Trump in 2016 and 2020. One of them who testified was Trump’s Attorney General.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Those people testifying are NOT liberal/progressive Democrats. Many are Republicans who voted for Trump in 2016 and 2020. One of them who testified was Trump’s Attorney General.

To be honest any POTUS who is put forward as a candidate should be given a general mental status exam (MSE) as there was good evidence Trump was never mentally fit to hold the highest office of the land. His elevation to this position attracted the worst elements of American society into positions of power and so it's laughable they now choose to testify against Trump. All of these clowns need to be held accountable for enabling the mess in 2016-2020.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:36 pm

The Vice Chairperson of the Select Committee is a conservative Republican.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 11:02 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

There was very little property damage during the so-called "January 6th riot". I called up a girl who was my *ahem* interest at the time, an IT project manager at DoJ in DC, she was stuck there during curfew, I offered to drive her out of the city to stay with her parents for the week, as I had a DoD (US Cyber Command) permit excusing me from curfews, she said it was quiet and safe in the city, she was just playing sessions of WoW with her clan instead of going to work.

So what's the real impact of January 6th events? Some (amusingly) terrified congressmen still talking about it, and you going nuts watching TV in your parents' basement?

I see no valid comparison to other major events around the country in recent years. It's a bit of a nothingburger.

Property damage can be repaired.

The destruction of a functioning Democracy cannot.

I don't think you understand that this is about a whole lot more than some rioters breaching the capital walls. Its about the reason they did, what they hoped to accomplish, AND - more importantly, actually - all the behind the scenes efforts being made by the former President and his cohorts to literally overturn an election. Trump et al were putting intense pressure on political leaders and faithful government employees, threatening lives and livelihoods, with zero interest in preserving or honoring our Constitution. They were inspiring the populace to believe a lie, knowing full well that the populace would be willing to act with violence "to defend their country" from the made up threat and, in the process, actually destroy the foundations of our nation.

You might actually understand that if you allowed yourself to view the hearings with an objective eye.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 23 Jun 2022, 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 11:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
1/6 can only be dismissed as a nothing burger because it failed. It failed because it was poorly organized, with a lot of LARP. That is in hindsight. There was no way of knowing that at the time. I had no idea if they were going to kill the congresspeople or take them hostage demanding they do not certify the election or else.

It only failed because we actually have people in political office who take their oaths seriously. Day 4 was about those people and the pressure they faced. Republicans who believed in Trump's politics, but not his efforts to stay in office after losing an election.

But all those people continue to be under attack politically and pressured personally. If you are actually following politics, you will know that.

The next round, when our Democracy is attacked again, will be quiet, because the real coupe never was the marchers (the marchers were just the visual, a backup, and cannon fodder). And the next round may not have enough people who understand their oath to the constitution and the law to prevent a fall into autocracy. Red states are actively working to pull pull power from voters and put into the hands of Republican politicians. The Republican Party is busy trying to get Trump favored candidates and believers in the big lie, who are more interested in party than the constitution, elected. Next time the architecture will be in place for someone like Trump to actually overturn election results. At that point, Democracy is dead.

That is anything but a "nothing burger."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 1:19 am

^Yep.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 2:47 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
1/6 can only be dismissed as a nothing burger because it failed. It failed because it was poorly organized, with a lot of LARP. That is in hindsight. There was no way of knowing that at the time. I had no idea if they were going to kill the congresspeople or take them hostage demanding they do not certify the election or else.

It only failed because we actually have people in political office who take their oaths seriously. Day 4 was about those people and the pressure they faced. Republicans who believed in Trump's politics, but not his efforts to stay in office after losing an election.

But all those people continue to be under attack politically and pressured personally. If you are actually following politics, you will know that.

The next round, when our Democracy is attacked again, will be quiet, because the real coupe never was the marchers (the marchers were just the visual, a backup, and cannon fodder). And the next round may not have enough people who understand their oath to the constitution and the law to prevent a fall into autocracy. Red states are actively working to pull pull power from voters and put into the hands of Republican politicians. The Republican Party is busy trying to get Trump favored candidates and believers in the big lie, who are more interested in party than the constitution, elected. Next time the architecture will be in place for someone like Trump to actually overturn election results. At that point, Democracy is dead.

I said "it can only be dismissed as nothing burger" not that it was was a nothing burger. As I noted in the post you quoted my focus is on the ongoing coup.

Going back to 1/6 while the new information revealed has made a strong political case that he should have been convicted by the Senate I am not sure anything new prosecutable has been revealed so far. They showed the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers planning the event and them saying Trump ordered them, what has not been shown yet is Trump or his aides actually planning the insurrection with the domestic terrorist groups. A big Oh my God moment was Trump saying killing Pence might not be a bad idea. But IMHO what is shown is direct evidence of a disgusting reaction to an ongoing event, not a direct order being given. The previously known find me the votes call and stand down remarks to the Proud Boys during the debate is better circumstantial evidence of planning.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jun 2022, 7:00 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Red states are actively working to pull pull power from voters and put into the hands of Republican politicians. The Republican Party is busy trying to get Trump favored candidates and believers in the big lie, who are more interested in party than the constitution, elected. Next time the architecture will be in place for someone like Trump to actually overturn election results. At that point, Democracy is dead.

Truth. ^

The Republican Party has morphed into a dangerous parody of itself, fully removed from reality and beholden to one man and his lies - Constitution and truth be damned.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:35 am

Currently listening to episode 4.. probably won't get through it this morning. Listening while I cook/eat, prepare for the day. Might have to save the rest for tonight. And then similar for episode 5.

Someone (Cornflake?) mentioned hearing there were to be 7 episodes - but I thought there were 6 scheduled ? Whatever, I'll listen to all of them, even if not live.

So far I'd say these hearings are not going well for trump.. especially with all the people pointing out specific state and federal laws he and his gang broke.

I remember hearing in some clip last night that some official had his office raided/was arrested or something like that ~yesterday. I just heard a little snippet.. not sure who/where/why - I just remember thinking "Hmm, is this related to the most recent J6 Hearing? Are law enforcement agencies watching and then acting ? Or did they get a tip off from the committee in advance and timed it for just before/during/just after the J6 Hearing that revealed this guy's criminality ?" Probably something like that occurred.. and maybe a lot more of it. Would be hella sweet if a whole bunch more trump administration criminals get the "cop knock," on their doors *while* they're watching the Hearings tell the world about their criming. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:12 am

Yep. There were offices and homes raided by these Trump-influenced folks. Reminds me of Watergate. This is a worse version of Watergate.

I believe #5 might be the last public hearing until July, when two are scheduled.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:15 am

I do believe there was a missed opportunity by the J6 commission.. they could have used this song as the intro to each hearing:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jun 2022, 11:20 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Someone (Cornflake?) mentioned hearing there were to be 7 episodes - but I thought there were 6 scheduled ? Whatever, I'll listen to all of them, even if not live.
Yep, but can I find a reference to it now? Nope... :roll:

I did find this, though - it sounds like the committee has barely scraped the surface:
CNN wrote:
Thursday's hearing {#5} was initially supposed to occur last Wednesday, but the committee postponed it the day before.
The committee had initially said it would hold all its hearings in June, but now the schedule is likely to be pushed back to July.
There are at least two more hearings after Thursday that the committee previously laid out -- one focused on extremists who attacked the Capitol on January 6, and another on what Trump was and wasn't doing in response to the attack.
But with new information coming into the committee, aides declined to say Wednesday whether those would be the only remaining hearings or when they would be held, adding that the timeline of the hearings was being driven by the investigation.

Indeed, committee members said they need more time to go through new documentary footage the panel received from documentarian Alex Holder, who has never-before-seen footage of Trump and his family. Thompson said he has reviewed some of the footage and characterized it as "important."
"There's been a deluge of new evidence since we got started," committee member Rep. Jamie Raskin, a Democrat from Maryland, said on Wednesday. "And we just need to catch our breath, go through the new evidence and then incorporate it into the hearings."
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/23/poli ... index.html

Quote:
So far I'd say these hearings are not going well for trump.. especially with all the people pointing out specific state and federal laws he and his gang broke.
Yes - he's being isolated, and justifiably so, as the primary cause of it all. Even now, too stupidly myopic to see the truth, he's continuing to incriminate himself.
"Excellent..." /Monty Burns

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:23 am

May it finally dawn on him that he is no longer this nation's Demander-In-Chief.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jun 2022, 11:29 am

I'm hoping for something a bit more substantial than a realization, long overdue though it is. :wink:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:30 am

Fnord wrote:
May it finally dawn on him that he is no longer this nation's Demander-In-Chief.

..or not. Would be quite entertaining to see him shocked & pissed off that he gets slapped with charges. :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
...or not. Would be quite entertaining to see him shocked & pissed off that he gets slapped with charges.
Very little would give me such intense schadenfreude as to see Mr. Trump break down while bawling his eyes out, and admit his guilt, arrogance, and stupidity while begging this nation's forgiveness.

Double bonus if he wets himself.

:twisted: