Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 7:43 am

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 11:27 am

The US will never ban guns because its society is too ammosexual. Everything else has been heavily sexualized, so why not guns?The guns' shape, their appearance, the way they fire bullets. It's all really Freudian. To ban guns is to ban humans with delusional, testosterone-ravaged brains.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 4:53 pm

Fewer guns, fewer problems. Of course, other issues need to be appropriately addressed as well.

Quote:
A study published in January by a leading non-profit organization that focuses on gun violence prevention found that there is a direct correlation in states with weaker gun laws and higher rates of gun deaths, including homicides, suicides and accidental killings.

The research team weighed the list of gun safety policies based on their efficacy, ranked each state on its implementation of those policies and compared that score with the rates of gun deaths in each state, he said.

The CDC's data includes homicides, accidental killings and suicides committed by guns. According to the CDC, over 45,000 people in the United States were killed with a firearm in 2020 -- more than half died by suicide.

The analysis, first reported by CNN, put California at the top of the list for gun law strength -- a composite score of 84.5 out of 100, with a low rate of 8.5 gun deaths per 100,000 residents, and below the national average of 13.6. Hawaii has the lowest rate of gun deaths in the country with the second strongest gun law score. It also has the lowest rate of gun ownership, with firearms in 9% of households, the data shows.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/01/20/us/e ... index.html

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 03 Jun 2022, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 5:06 pm

Gun accidents are problematic. Banning guns isn’t solely about eliminating violent crimes although it would probably help.

“492 people unintentionally die by gun in an average year.

Thus far in 2022, there have been unintentional shootings by over 21 children, resulting in 9 deaths and 13 injuries.

Accidental gun deaths occur mainly to those under 25 years old. So far in 2022, 209 children (age 0-17) have died by gunshot and an additional 519 were injured. Adolescents are particularly susceptible to accidental shootings due to specific behavioral characteristics associated with adolescence, such as impulsivity, feelings of invincibility, and curiosity about firearms.

In 2021 there were at least 377 unintentional shootings by children. This resulted in 154 deaths and 242 injuries in the United States.

In 2021, unintentional shooting deaths accounted for over 4% (2,007) of total gun related deaths (44,912) in the United States.

Shelter in place orders during the coronavirus pandemic have led to major spikes in accidental shootings at home by children. Unintentional shooting deaths by children increased by nearly one-third comparing incidents in March to December of 2020 to the same months of 2019.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, there were 3,906 additional firearm deaths and 9,278 additional firearm injuries in 2020 compared to 2019.

70% of unintentional shootings by children occur in the home.

From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.

The majority of people killed in firearm accidents are under age 24, and most of these young people are being shot by someone else, usually someone their own age. The shooter is typically a friend or family member, often an older brother. By contrast, older adults are at a far lower risk of accidental firearm death, and most often are shooting themselves. (source)

A statistically significant association exists between gun availability and the rates of unintentional firearm deaths, homicides, and suicides.

In the United States, over 4.6 million American children live in homes with at least 1 unloaded, unlocked gun, setting the scene for possible tragedy if firearms are not locked and stored properly.
As gun sales in the US spiked by 70% in March 2020 when compared to March 2019, accidental shooting deaths by minors spiked by 43%.

Around 31 percent of accidental deaths caused by firearms might be prevented with child-proof safety locks and loaded chamber indicators.

A study from 2014 showed that victims of unintentional shootings were three times more likely to live in a household with a firearm.

A 2001 study found that regardless of age, people are nine times more likely to die from unintentional firearm injuries when they live in states with more guns, relative to states with fewer guns.”

https://www.aftermath.com/content/accid ... tatistics/

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 5:18 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
The US will never ban guns because its society is too ammosexual. Everything else has been heavily sexualized, so why not guns?The guns' shape, their appearance, the way they fire bullets. It's all really Freudian. To ban guns is to ban humans with delusional, testosterone-ravaged brains.

I’m happy with bananas. Tasty and harmless, unless one has diabetes or an allergy.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 5:31 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 7:24 pm

Would anyone want a Second Prohibition to happen in the US if guns are taken away?

I certainly don't, but this doesn't mean I support less strict gun control laws.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 11:01 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Gun accidents are problematic. Banning guns isn’t solely about eliminating violent crimes although it would probably help.

“492 people unintentionally die by gun in an average year.

Thus far in 2022, there have been unintentional shootings by over 21 children, resulting in 9 deaths and 13 injuries.

Accidental gun deaths occur mainly to those under 25 years old. So far in 2022, 209 children (age 0-17) have died by gunshot and an additional 519 were injured. Adolescents are particularly susceptible to accidental shootings due to specific behavioral characteristics associated with adolescence, such as impulsivity, feelings of invincibility, and curiosity about firearms.

In 2021 there were at least 377 unintentional shootings by children. This resulted in 154 deaths and 242 injuries in the United States.

In 2021, unintentional shooting deaths accounted for over 4% (2,007) of total gun related deaths (44,912) in the United States.

Shelter in place orders during the coronavirus pandemic have led to major spikes in accidental shootings at home by children. Unintentional shooting deaths by children increased by nearly one-third comparing incidents in March to December of 2020 to the same months of 2019.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, there were 3,906 additional firearm deaths and 9,278 additional firearm injuries in 2020 compared to 2019.

70% of unintentional shootings by children occur in the home.

From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.

The majority of people killed in firearm accidents are under age 24, and most of these young people are being shot by someone else, usually someone their own age. The shooter is typically a friend or family member, often an older brother. By contrast, older adults are at a far lower risk of accidental firearm death, and most often are shooting themselves. (source)

A statistically significant association exists between gun availability and the rates of unintentional firearm deaths, homicides, and suicides.

In the United States, over 4.6 million American children live in homes with at least 1 unloaded, unlocked gun, setting the scene for possible tragedy if firearms are not locked and stored properly.
As gun sales in the US spiked by 70% in March 2020 when compared to March 2019, accidental shooting deaths by minors spiked by 43%.

Around 31 percent of accidental deaths caused by firearms might be prevented with child-proof safety locks and loaded chamber indicators.

A study from 2014 showed that victims of unintentional shootings were three times more likely to live in a household with a firearm.

A 2001 study found that regardless of age, people are nine times more likely to die from unintentional firearm injuries when they live in states with more guns, relative to states with fewer guns.”

I think we may be onto something here. :scratch:

Quote:
U.S. traffic deaths reached a 16-year high in 2021, according to government estimates
Published Tue, May 17 20221:09 PM EDTUpdated Tue, May 17 20221:31 PM EDT

Michael Wayland

NHTSA, a federal vehicle safety watchdog, estimates 42,915 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes last year, a 10.5% increase from 2020.
The deaths include pedestrians, cyclists and others who may have died during a crash.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/17/us-traf ... -says.html

After we get rid of the guns, we have to get rid of the cars, too. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 11:05 pm

Trying to connect guns with alcohol and cars is misguided.

Cars and alcohol are created for a specific function that is non-lethal.
Guns are created to kill.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 11:08 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I’m happy with bananas. Tasty and harmless, unless one has diabetes or an allergy.

I think you may need to visit this thread again. 8O
viewtopic.php?t=191840#p4451890

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 11:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Trying to connect guns with alcohol and cars is misguided.

Cars and alcohol are created for a specific function that is non-lethal.
Guns are created to kill.

You are missing the point. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 11:12 pm

So, what do people think about the "Black Operations" that are responsible for some of these mass shootings? :scratch:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 11:48 pm

Because taking guns away is cheaper (free) than placing armed guards in schools... And the US has way better ways to spend our tax payer dollars: wars, abortions, sex reassignment for prisoners, and armed protection for our politicians. All funded in part by taxes made off of gun sales. :roll:

And please don't act like an armed guard would be any different than the armed resource officers that are already a presence in our schools. Ours makes an appearance before class starts everyday.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Last edited by Cornflake on 05 Jun 2022, 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.: Fixed image link

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 12:01 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

I'm really sorry for these individuals. Been around guns all my life, even when I was a child I knew not to touch it. I wouldn't be able to explain why these parents are so stupid or remiss in their responsibilities, that they cannot ensure the safety of their children. I'm more inclined to believe they just don't care.

A killer is a killer, they don't stop being a killer just because someone took their gun away. If someone decides they want to strangle me (as opposed to shooting me), a legal gun for the purpose of protection is still going to be my best hope of survival. I won't give up my registered weapons and they'll never know where the unregistered ones reside, so it's all moot.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 3:26 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Because taking guns away is cheaper (free)

Wow. How ignorant and uninformed. Because there is no gun registration database (our government is not allowed to store that information in a searchable format), and there is no mandatory registration, how do you think that would even work???

The database doesn't exist for this reason, so there would be no future mass confiscation. It's not a matter of whether we think it's right or wrong, what you suggested is very much impossible to execute in reality.

The Australia thing is impossible to do in US. (Not that it had any statistical impact on murder rates, AFAIK)