Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 6:46 am

Thirty-one people affiliated with the white nationalist group Patriot Front were arrested near an annual LGBTQ+ event Saturday in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, police said.

https://www.dw.com/en/us-police-arrest- ... a-62103382

The suspects were booked on suspicion of conspiracy to riot, Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Lee White said at an afternoon news conference. Among those in custody late Saturday was a man with the same name as Patriot Front's Dallas-based founder, Thomas Ryan Rousseau.

White said police were made aware in recent days that a number of groups planned to disrupt Pride in the Park, an annual event highlighting civil rights struggles for the LGBTQ+ communities.

Police in this case did a good job in foiling what might have ended up being a another mass murder at the Pride festival.

Last edited by magz on 13 Jun 2022, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.: Location corrected in the title

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 10:01 am

I'm puzzled by the title. Coeur d'Alene is a long ways from Seattle.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 10:24 am

Yes. The town is in Idaho. Next state over from Washington state, where Seattle is located.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 12:01 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure this was in Idaho.

Anyway:
BOTH SIDES!!1!!1! BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY BAD GUYZ!!1!!!11!2!! ! BOTH SIDES ARE TOTALLY EQUALLY TO BLAME FOR THE PROBLEMS IN THIS COUNTRY!!1!1!1!! !!@! !

Hey, at least they're not grooming kids into thinking that they deserve basic dignity and respect if they identify as gay or trans, am I right? Lol. Those people are the real problem.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 12:36 pm

Idaho and Montana are both breeding grounds for these groups. Just outside Coeur d'Alene is a town called Hayden Lake, which is the HQ of the Aryan Nations.

Whitefish, MT is another far-right bastion.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 2:36 pm

Unfriendly reminder that the Pacific Northwest has an ugly history of white supremacy. The populations in these states really started to grow after the Civil War, as many white southerners migrated there in an effort to get away from blacks who now dared to compete with them for paying jobs. Ditto for many northerners who left once the Great Migration of freed blacks to northern states started to take off. These states were envisioned as havens for whites who did not want to live alongside non-whites. Chinese and Latin-Americans were subject to de jure racism as well. (Native Americans being discriminated against goes without saying). Google the Northwest Front. And the Oregon Black Exclusion laws. Though not always enforced, the latter meant that blacks could not legally reside in Oregon until 1926.

Scrutinize Pacific Northwest conservatives as much as you would Southern conservatives. Do conservatives not like me saying that? Then purge your godd-mn ranks of these people. Stop tolerating them. Stop enabling them.

"This is about anti-gay conservatives, not racist conservatives." Gays are just the newest target because reactionary conservatives can't as easily get away with openly despising black and brown people anymore--though groups such as the one in this article are less subtle about the interconnection of their racism and homophobia than their more mainstream counterparts.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 5:16 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:

That's what you take from the article?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 7:31 pm

The 31 arrested men were all part of Patriot Front, a white supremacist hate group, including one of the leaders of the Unite The Right rally at Charlottesville. Scary that that isn't too far away from my own Spokane/Spokane Valley home.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 7:55 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Unfriendly reminder that the Pacific Northwest has an ugly history of white supremacy. The populations in these states really started to grow after the Civil War, as many white southerners migrated there in an effort to get away from blacks who now dared to compete with them for paying jobs. Ditto for many northerners who left once the Great Migration of freed blacks to northern states started to take off. These states were envisioned as havens for whites who did not want to live alongside non-whites. Chinese and Latin-Americans were subject to de jure racism as well. (Native Americans being discriminated against goes without saying). Google the Northwest Front. And the Oregon Black Exclusion laws. Though not always enforced, the latter meant that blacks could not legally reside in Oregon until 1926.

Scrutinize Pacific Northwest conservatives as much as you would Southern conservatives. Do conservatives not like me saying that? Then purge your godd-mn ranks of these people. Stop tolerating them. Stop enabling them.

"This is about anti-gay conservatives, not racist conservatives." Gays are just the newest target because reactionary conservatives can't as easily get away with openly despising black and brown people anymore--though groups such as the one in this article are less subtle about the interconnection of their racism and homophobia than their more mainstream counterparts.

Only in part, actually. Among some of the original settlers here in Washington were blacks who felt unwelcomed in Oregon. If anything, the Chinese were the blacks of the Pacific Northwest, much more than actual blacks were. Though that was a prejudice felt all around the country back then.
The fact that Coeur d'Alene, as Spokane, has a Pride Parade, says something about how there is true tolerance and diversity among many of us here in the Northwest.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:14 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The fact that Coeur d'Alene, as Spokane, has a Pride Parade, says something about how there is true tolerance and diversity among many of us here in the Northwest.

I understand there are islands of tolerance throughout the US. The comedian Dave Chapelle lives in Yellow Springs Ohio which he claims is democrat island (Bernie Sanders supporters) in a sea of Trump voters. I think it has something to do with it being historically a place where subversive/hippy movements started as it's close to a university.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I said I'm puzzled by the title.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:49 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I thought the article said Seattle. I'm not American so can only go by the source information.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 10:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I thought the article said Seattle. I'm not American so can only go by the source information.

I think this is perhaps yet another case where you didn't really read the article.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 12:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I understand there are islands of tolerance throughout the US. The comedian Dave Chapelle lives in Yellow Springs Ohio which he claims is democrat island (Bernie Sanders supporters) in a sea of Trump voters. I think it has something to do with it being historically a place where subversive/hippy movements started as it's close to a university.

Washington and Oregon tend to be pretty liberal blue states, though in both there are pretty conservative rural areas, as there are in most blue states. My own Spokane county has unfortunately produced some certifiably insane politicians.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 12:29 am

USA seems to produce a lot more crazier per capita than here in Canada. Maybe there's something in the water down there.. :?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 12:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Washington and Oregon tend to be pretty liberal blue states, though in both there are pretty conservative rural areas, as there are in most blue states. My own Spokane county has unfortunately produced some certifiably insane politicians.

I keep seeing two things about Spokane, One is far right politicians and second spooky paranormal.