Quick-thinking staffers save camp children from gunman

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 9:16 am

ABC News

Quote:
Police shot and killed a man armed with a handgun Monday morning after he entered an athletic complex where a summer camp was taking place in Duncanville, Texas, authorities said.

No children were harmed after camp staffers ushered them to safety when the man entered the building.

Police exchanged gunfire with the suspect at the Duncanville Fieldhouse within minutes of arriving at the scene, Duncanville Mayor Barry Gordon said, according to ABC Dallas affiliate WFAA.

Police identified the suspect on Tuesday as Brandon Keith Ned, 42, of Dallas. It was unclear if Ned had any connection to the Duncanville Fieldhouse or the summer camp.

A motive for the shooting remains under investigation.

The summer camp for 4- to 14-year-olds has an average attendance of more than 250 campers and staff, the Duncanville Police Department said in a statement.

A camp counselor confronted the suspected gunman in the lobby of the indoor sports and fitness center.

Upon hearing the gunshots in the lobby, staff members moved the kids to a safe area and locked the doors, preventing the suspected gunman from getting inside, Duncanville Assistant Police Chief Matthew Stogner said.

"[He] did fire one round inside the classroom where there were children inside," Stogner said. "Fortunately, no one was injured."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman