Page 8 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:24 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Some of these local diocese are out of step with the direction Pope Francis is trying to take the church. He just appointed a progressive as the top US cardinal.

Sounds like maybe Pope Francis is selling out.

If Francis is capitulating to secular progressivism, then that would mean he's selling out to it. I'm not claiming that's what's happening. I'm saying what the result is if that's happening.

If such a split is taking place, that would be a split between maintaining church mores and setting them aside in favor of secular mores.

No, the division isn't new and it isn't secular. It's a theological. There has never been only one way to read the Bible or approach faith. The Catholic Church has always been a big umbrella covering a lot of different personalities and approaches. The split I've referenced derives from human nature and is old enough to tie into reputations of different priest and nun communities.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:32 pm

Just to clarify, which Catholic church are you all discussing?

• Coptic Catholic Church

• Eritrean Catholic Church

• Ethiopian Catholic Church

• Armenian Catholic Church

• Albanian Greek Catholic Church

• Belarusian Greek Catholic Church

• Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church

• Greek Catholic Church of Croatia & Serbia

• Greek Byzantine Catholic Church

• Hungarian Greek Catholic Church

• Italo-Albanian Catholic Church

• Macedonian Greek Catholic Church

• Melkite Greek Catholic Church

• Roman Catholic Church

• Romanian Greek Catholic Church

• Russian Greek Catholic Church

• Ruthenian Greek/Byzantine Catholic Church

• Slovak Greek Catholic Church

• Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

• Chaldean Catholic Church

• Syro-Malabar Catholic Church

• Maronite Church

• Syriac Catholic Church

• Syro-Malankara Catholic Church

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jun 2022, 12:41 pm

Greek Catholic church of Ukraine - and a number of others but this one I'm most familiar with - are in unity with Rome. They have different rites and structures but they have unified theology and sacraments. Roman Catholics can fully attend their Sacraments and vice versa.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:54 pm

I'm always referring to the Roman Catholic church when I speak of a "Catholic" church. If I mean some other "Catholic" church, I would be more specific.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
Just to clarify, which Catholic church are you all discussing?

• Coptic Catholic Church

• Eritrean Catholic Church

• Ethiopian Catholic Church

• Armenian Catholic Church

• Albanian Greek Catholic Church

• Belarusian Greek Catholic Church

• Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church

• Greek Catholic Church of Croatia & Serbia

• Greek Byzantine Catholic Church

• Hungarian Greek Catholic Church

• Italo-Albanian Catholic Church

• Macedonian Greek Catholic Church

• Melkite Greek Catholic Church

• Roman Catholic Church

• Romanian Greek Catholic Church

• Russian Greek Catholic Church

• Ruthenian Greek/Byzantine Catholic Church

• Slovak Greek Catholic Church

• Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

• Chaldean Catholic Church

• Syro-Malabar Catholic Church

• Maronite Church

• Syriac Catholic Church

• Syro-Malankara Catholic Church

The Roman Catholic Church has been specified throughout this thread.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm always referring to the Roman Catholic church when I speak of a "Catholic" church. If I mean some other "Catholic" church, I would be more specific.

That's true of most living in the West.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:33 pm

Just making sure.  Each of you seems to be talking about a different Catholic church from the others, that's all.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Just making sure.  Each of you seems to be talking about a different Catholic church from the others, that's all.

We are or should be talking about the Catholic church the OP is about.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:38 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
We are or should be talking about the Catholic church the OP is about.
Which one?  The "real" RCC, or the "excommunicated" one?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:39 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It should be obvious that some flags are more odious than other flags.

I don't believe the Nazi German flag should have equal status to the modern German flag, for example.

What about the Gadsden (Don't Tread On Me) flag used by MAGAs? Should the Catholic church allow that to be flown in Catholic schools I wonder.

I remember there being a huge uproar over Nike embroidering the Colonial flag on the back of its shoes.

It seems if a flag or symbol is condemned by woke, then it's perfectly fine and commendable for it to be banned.

I don't see how "don't tread on me" would reflect any biblical value, while trying to gain parity for marginalized groups of people most definitely DOES reflect a biblical value. The main issue being if a flag representing certain controversial social organizations is an appropriate way to advocate for that parity.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:39 pm

magz wrote:
Greek Catholic church of Ukraine - and a number of others but this one I'm most familiar with - are in unity with Rome. They have different rites and structures but they have unified theology and sacraments. Roman Catholics can fully attend their Sacraments and vice versa.

Interesting. Formally the Roman church and Greek church excommunicated each other. Personally I'm more partial towards Greek Orthodoxy.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jun 2022, 1:48 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
magz wrote:
Interesting. Formally the Roman church and Greek church excommunicated each other. Personally I'm more partial towards Greek Orthodoxy.

During the last 1000 years, several Orthodox dioceses re-united with Rome, forming Greek Catholic churches.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:51 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It should be obvious that some flags are more odious than other flags.

I don't believe the Nazi German flag should have equal status to the modern German flag, for example.

What about the Gadsden (Don't Tread On Me) flag used by MAGAs? Should the Catholic church allow that to be flown in Catholic schools I wonder.

I remember there being a huge uproar over Nike embroidering the Colonial flag on the back of its shoes.

It seems if a flag or symbol is condemned by woke, then it's perfectly fine and commendable for it to be banned.

I don't see how "don't tread on me" would reflect any biblical value, while trying to gain parity for marginalized groups of people most definitely DOES reflect a biblical value. The main issue being if a flag representing certain controversial social organizations is an appropriate way to advocate for that parity.

BLM and LGBTQ are secular humanist groups. The RCC has its own method of advocating parity. The Bible says to "Make every effort to live in peace with everyone". The parable of the Good Samaritan is all about parity.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jun 2022, 1:56 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The RCC has its own method of advocating parity.
Can you elaborate? I don't think I've seen such a thing in action recently.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:58 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Catholic schools, in New York City, primarily offer secular education. Many of the teachers are members of some religious order associated with the Roman Catholic Church. There are also classes which concentrate on specifically Catholic/religious matters. One doesn't have to be Catholic to attend one of these schools.

The discipline meted out in Catholic schools is often more severe than in public schools. The coursework is sometimes more rigorous than what is found in public schools. Many times, parents believe Catholic schools are preferable to public schools. The curricula must meet state educational standards.

The Catholic schools I know of, like the one currently near me, are part of the Catholic church building complex. The kids wear the traditional Catholic school uniform.

The school system started by the Catholic Church has undergone some changes as the schools have aged. I know of several Catholic Schools that seem to have severed from the financial support of the church and are registered under the Independent Schools network. The more elite Catholic High Schools seem to be in that group, although I'm not certain of how the relationship with the church works, ie if there remains any current relationship at all, or if it is purely historical. I do know that locally the curriculum of their religion classes is usually less RCC focused (often a question at school tours), and annual tuition is about double that of schools that clearly continue to have a relationship with the diocese; yet the community still considers the schools to be Catholic.

Catholic elementary schools are often connected to a parish, but Catholic high schools and universities are not.

School uniforms are selected by each school; there is no single traditional Catholic school uniform, although some broad concepts seem to apply. Locally Catholic high schools have all dropped the uniforms concept, although students still must acquire one for select uniform days.

Like any other school, Catholic Schools have to compete in a marketplace for students, and that affects how they will structure their curriculum and rules. In creating the schools, the Church had a mission to offer quality education to students who may not have had that opportunity otherwise. I never sent my kids to Catholic school, but we did tour the local ones, and I do donate to their support. As a parent I know that all students learn differently and, so, having a choice of schools available to all students is important. Often, Catholic schools offer the only other viable choice to local public schools.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 2:02 pm

magz wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
The RCC has its own method of advocating parity.
Can you elaborate? I don't think I've seen such a thing in action recently.

What kind action are you talking about?

There's a slew of Bible passages instructing the church in it.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/equality