Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
CNN
Quote:
The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled in favor of a death row inmate in Georgia who is challenging the state's lethal injection protocol and seeks to die by firing squad -- a method not currently authorized in the state.

The court said the inmate could bring the challenge under a federal civil rights law that allows individuals to seek remedies when their Constitutional rights are violated. The decision could make it easier for inmates to challenge their potential execution method.

The 5-4 majority opinion was written by Justice Elena Kagan, with Justice Amy Coney Barrett penning a dissent joined by Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch.

Kagan said that the law at issue, Section 1983, "broadly authorizes suit against state officials for the deprivation of any rights secured by the Constitution."

"Read literally," she said, "that language would apply to all of a prisoner's constitutional claims."

Barrett, in her dissent, countered: "An inmate can use §1983 actions to challenge many, if not most, aspects of prison administration. But when a challenge would prevent a State from enforcing a conviction or sentence, the more ritgorous, federalism-protective requirements of habeas apply."

Although Barrett noted that she "understand[s] the impulse" for prisoners to use civil rights suits rather than habeas petitions to bring such claims given the obstacles to the latter, she concluded that the proper forum for such challenges are state, rather than federal, court.

I tend to agree with the inmate because I would prefer to be shot by a 30-06 loaded with deer hunting ammo in the torso instead of lethal injection.I am very afraid of needles.Maybe I feel this way because I am a hunter.

you're gonna die anyway. So why fear a needle?

I would choose getting shot with a 7.92x57 mm Mauser in the heart it would be more pleasant than a IV for me.I guess I just feel this way because I have seen so many game taken I dont think its a bad way to go all things considered if I was going to die anyways.Needles hurt a lot to me.I would not suffer at all compared to even a needle.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 25 Jun 2022, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:04 pm

This reminds me of that scene in Monty Python and the Meaning of Life in which Arthur Jarrett, convicted criminal is allowed to choose the manner of his own execution.

It's on Youtube (two minute video) but I won't link it here due to nudity (I'm surprised they got away with posting that on Youtube).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 2:08 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
CNN
Quote:
The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled in favor of a death row inmate in Georgia who is challenging the state's lethal injection protocol and seeks to die by firing squad -- a method not currently authorized in the state.

The court said the inmate could bring the challenge under a federal civil rights law that allows individuals to seek remedies when their Constitutional rights are violated. The decision could make it easier for inmates to challenge their potential execution method.

The 5-4 majority opinion was written by Justice Elena Kagan, with Justice Amy Coney Barrett penning a dissent joined by Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch.

Kagan said that the law at issue, Section 1983, "broadly authorizes suit against state officials for the deprivation of any rights secured by the Constitution."

"Read literally," she said, "that language would apply to all of a prisoner's constitutional claims."

Barrett, in her dissent, countered: "An inmate can use §1983 actions to challenge many, if not most, aspects of prison administration. But when a challenge would prevent a State from enforcing a conviction or sentence, the more ritgorous, federalism-protective requirements of habeas apply."

Although Barrett noted that she "understand[s] the impulse" for prisoners to use civil rights suits rather than habeas petitions to bring such claims given the obstacles to the latter, she concluded that the proper forum for such challenges are state, rather than federal, court.

I tend to agree with the inmate because I would prefer to be shot by a 30-06 loaded with deer hunting ammo in the torso instead of lethal injection.I am very afraid of needles.Maybe I feel this way because I am a hunter.

you're gonna die anyway. So why fear a needle?

I would choose getting shot with a 7.92x57 mm Mauser in the heart it would be more pleasant than a IV for me.I guess I just feel this way because I have seen so many game taken I dont think its a bad way to go all things considered if I was going to die anyways.Needles hurt a lot to me.I would not suffer at all compared to even a needle.

When you get older you will need things like root canals. And you will be strapped to a chair and forced to watch as they- dab anesthesia on your gums, to prep for it being injected with a small needle, which is itself just prepping for a bigger needle, which is prepping for that final needle (which looks four feet long out of the corner of your eye), and you will flop around in the chair like a fish in the hand of person trying to remove the fishhook from its mouth, as they stick THAT gleaming shaft into your mouth. :lol:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:35 am

I would still choose to get shot by a firing squad of AK-47s over lethal injection any day.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 6:57 am

Like I said before - I would prefer to go out in a romantic blaze of gunfire -facing my executioners- like a soldier.
Or I did when I was younger. So I would make the same pick.

But fear of needles just doesnt enter into my thoughts at all.

But years ago there was a thread on this website that attracted several people who shared a phobia of ....buttons.

You know...buttons...as in "buttoning your shirt". Those things that are "as cute as a button" that you sew onto clothing.

Several folks found them absolutely revolting to be around. I asked them "which is worse...me placing a button into the palm of your hand, or me placing a big live spider into your hand?". They all said something to the effect that it was about the same.

So to each his own. Preferences, and phobias.