Tip prevented July 4th Richmond, Virginia massacre

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 6:17 pm

A tip from a 'hero citizen' thwarted a mass shooting planned for July 4 celebration in Richmond, Virginia, police say

Quote:
One phone call saved countless lives and prevented a potential mass shooting during July 4 celebrations in Richmond, Virginia, the police chief and mayor said Wednesday.

The "hero" tipster overheard a conversation that a mass shooting was being planned for the celebration at the Dogwood Dell amphitheater and called that information into police on July 1, said Richmond Police Chief Gerald Smith during a news conference. The amphitheater seats 2,400 people, according to the city's website.

he same day as the tip, police went to a residence at the 1000 block of Columbia Ave. where they found the weapons and ammunition. In total, police found two assault rifles, one handgun and 223 rounds of ammunition at the home, Smith said.

One man was arrested Friday and police put surveillance on a second person, who was arrested Tuesday, the chief said. Both suspects have been charged with being non-citizens in possession of a firearm.

"They were planning to, actually, shoot up our Fourth of July celebration," Smith said. "We know what their intent is but we don't have their motive, we do know that they lived at the same location."

Both men are being held without bond at the Richmond City Jail, Smith said.

The US Department of Homeland Security and the FBI were also involved in the investigation, Smith said. Police did not elaborate further on plans for the mass shooting but reiterated the importance of the tip.

"There's no telling how many lives this hero citizen saved from one phone call," Smith said. "Public safety is a responsibility of us all. One phone call saved numerous lives on the Fourth of July."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mitchell M.
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2022, 3:04 pm

Not all heroes wear capes, excellent to finally see someone stop a senseless massacre.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 7:23 pm

Who are the suspects in Richmond’s alleged mass shooting plot, stopped by an anonymous tip?

Quote:
More than 24 hours after the Richmond Police Department (RPD) announced the arrests of two suspects believed to be involved in an alleged mass shooting plan set for Independence Day weekend, questions remain about the men behind bars.

Julio Cesar Alvarado-Dubon, 52, and Rolman A. Balacarcel, 38, both originally from Guatemala, were taken into custody on July 1 and 5, respectively. Alvarado-Dubon was arrested at a residence in the 3100 block of Columbia Street in Richmond by RPD, while Balacarcel was taken into custody in Charlottesville and transported to the Charlottesville-Albemarle County Regional Jail.

Each suspect was charged with gun possession by an unlawful alien, a class 6 felony.

Court documents obtained by 8News show that Alvarado-Dubon was granted a $15,000 bond. Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Richmond, Colette McEachin, said that her office’s general policy is to release individuals on bond, with appropriate conditions, unless the person is a flight risk or there is a concern that they could be a danger to the community or themselves.

“The Commonwealth objected to bond,” she said. “Nevertheless, the General District Court judge granted a bond and decided on the $15,000 amount himself.”

According to a local bail reform organization, bond amounts typically fall between $2,500 and $10,000 for property and drug felonies, and $25,000 and $50,000 for more serious felonies.

Sources told 8News that Alvarado-Dubon, although in the country illegally, did not have a prior criminal history. His visa was reportedly expired by four years.

Documents show that he has a son living in the greater Richmond area, and had been a resident of the city for approximately three years. He worked in construction full-time.

However, sources also confirmed to 8News that Balacarcel had previously been deported twice. It is unclear whether he had previous criminal charges.

“I know him from where we’re from, and I can’t wrap my head around why he would do this,” Alexander Chacón said in an interview with 8News translated from Spanish. “He was never violent or had weapons, so I was surprised.”

Prior to his move to the greater Richmond area, court documents show that Alvarado-Dubon spent six months living in New Jersey.

Sources told 8News that it is unknown at this point whether the suspects will be extradited to Guatemala.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman