Sir Mo Farah, elite athlete, was a trafficked child

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 9:41 am

News has emerged that Sir Mo Farah's life story was made up by him to cover the horrific details of his kidnap and trafficking as a young child.

It has brought it home clearly to me that stories like this is why we must be aware of modern day slavery and do our best to stop it. I worked with very disadvantaged children a long time ago, I wonder looking back, if some of them were trafficked.

'Sir Mo says he wants to tell his story to challenge public perceptions of trafficking and slavery.
"I had no idea there was so many people who are going through exactly the same thing that I did. It just shows how lucky I was," he says.'

This story contains terrifying and highly emotive details, please be warned:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62123886

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 3:14 am

I saw something about it the other day. Sadly it won't be easy to convince everyone about the seriousness of the problem.

Case in point, my mum's bald english boyfriend upon seeing Mo Farah talk about this on TV:
"So you're a f-ing liar then!"

Brought to you by the man who responded with an english black activist talking about racism on TV with "Shut up, as far as I'm concerned you're not even british"

Myself as an almost normal person with the slightest amount of decency in their being I think it's a pretty horrible story, especially when you consider it probably happens a lot more than anyone is aware of.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 4:39 am

They used to call it “white slavery” for a good reason.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2022, 4:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
They used to call it “white slavery” for a good reason.
Except Mo Farah is African. But it does not matter. Very similar things happened to Polish migrants back when we were poor enough.
It's widespread, evil and far more common than we're comfortable to admit :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 5:18 am

Prostitution trafficking was called white slavery regardless of the race of the “employee.”

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 5:23 am

Kerch wrote:
I saw something about it the other day. Sadly it won't be easy to convince everyone about the seriousness of the problem.

Case in point, my mum's bald english boyfriend upon seeing Mo Farah talk about this on TV:
"So you're a f-ing liar then!"

Brought to you by the man who responded with an english black activist talking about racism on TV with "Shut up, as far as I'm concerned you're not even british"

Myself as an almost normal person with the slightest amount of decency in their being I think it's a pretty horrible story, especially when you consider it probably happens a lot more than anyone is aware of.

Yes. That's my father in law down to a tee. What is wrong with some people? Not an ounce of empathy or compassion for anyone different to themselves. Father in law, for example, thinks gay people should be executed. WTAF.

But anyway, the sheer horror of poor Mo Farah's experience SHOULD raise the alarm in normal people who want to stop this sort of thing happening. I am shocked to the core. It is like a nightmare story that will take time for my brain to accept.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 5:25 am

magz wrote:
Very similar things happened to Polish migrants back when we were poor enough.
It's widespread, evil and far more common than we're comfortable to admit :(

Yes, slavery has been going on for thousands if not millions of years, it is shocking that it still continues today and we need to be aware enough to stop it. It gave me a big slap in the face for sure, I will be try to be more aware.

I read that the family who enslaved Mo are under investigation now as there are witnesses to this situation.

TBH not much shocks me these days but this event did.