First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 16 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:55 am

Quote:
Oh why the change of title? I don't understand.

Well we have the "Emergence of a deadly coronavirus" thread in this news and current events section, and this thread discusses how to be safe in hot weather and all that and sharing news updates about the heatwave and stuff. It could be like a sister to that thread.
It's OK you don't have to change the title. It was just a joke. :lol:

Quote:
Oh really! OMG I didn't hear that about the bathroom fan! We have our fans on all night in our room and our daughter's room! Now I'm panicking. I'm glad I didn't know this before the heatwave! Sh|t. At least we get brand new fans every year.

I think everyone in the country has fans on in several rooms all night. This fire was caused by one of those bathroom fans that are like a ventilator fan, and can cause fire if uncleaned.

I hate fires, they're the bane of my life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:57 am

Space heaters are much more prone to fires than fans.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 7:54 am

I’ve used fans all my life and never had one catch on fire.I use portable ones and keep them clean.I prefer ones with metal blades since the plastic ones seem to flatten out over time and don’t send out as much air.Cheap fans aren’t as good either, they tend to be nosier and don’t work as well.
I bought a whole set of new retro looking ones with metal blades last year, they come in assorted colors so I got antique blue ones.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 8:37 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Oh why the change of title? I don't understand.

Well we have the "Emergence of a deadly coronavirus" thread in this news and current events section, and this thread discusses how to be safe in hot weather and all that and sharing news updates about the heatwave and stuff. It could be like a sister to that thread.
It's OK you don't have to change the title. It was just a joke.

Oh, hahaha. :P Maybe every thread should be 'Emergence of the (something) :lol: :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 9:07 am

Some more info about our heatwave problems:

Wennington counts the cost the morning after 'tinder box' heat destroyed houses
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uk-weather-we ... 20419.html

Heatwave led to London firefighters’ busiest day since second world war
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/20/heatwave-led-to-london-firefighters-busiest-day-since-second-world-war

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:17 am

Do you feel the cool air in your house yet?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you feel the cool air in your house yet?

Yes it's only about 26C now. A few years ago that would have finished me off but now I'm tougher :lol: :lol: :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:25 am

That's the Spirit! :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's the Spirit! :)

That is the one thing Brits have in our favour. We are very used to changeable weather. It can be pouring with rain then 5 minutes later hot sunshine. We are used to the weather changing constantly.

My Indonesian friend said she can't stand the changeable weather, it drives her mad. I didn't know what she meant for a moment because I don't notice the changes much. She said Indonesia has predictable weather all the time so she can't cope with the changes.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:51 am

Wasn't it the Beatles who had a song which went something like, "Eight days of heat are hot enough for sweaty hair"?
8)
And speaking of eight days of heat,
From National Weather Service for our town in Missouri,
(bold added by me)
"
Detailed Forecast
Today
Sunny, with a high near 94. Northwest wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Tonight
Clear, with a low around 68. Northwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Thursday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Southwest wind 3 to 7 mph.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 72. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Friday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101. South southwest wind 5 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 77.
Saturday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 103. (39.4 C)
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 77.
Sunday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 98.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Monday
A chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 91. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday Night
A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 74. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tuesday
A chance of showers. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
"

My brother and sister in law's town in Kentucky,
"
Today
Sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Heat index values as high as 111. (43.88C) West southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:57 am

I've been seeing posts on Facebook by geniuses saying people in the UK are being over-dramatic because in some parts up here in Canada it can get just as hot or even hotter in the summer. That's right, Canada. I live in Nova Scotia and this past Monday it was around 35 degrees. But the geniuses clearly don't realize that heat waves like in the UK are rare so people aren't as used to or prepared for it. And *we're* the ones who lack empathy?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I've been seeing posts on Facebook by geniuses saying people in the UK are being over-dramatic because in some parts up here in Canada it can get just as hot or even hotter in the summer. That's right, Canada. I live in Nova Scotia and this past Monday it was around 35 degrees. But the geniuses clearly don't realize that heat waves like in the UK are rare so people aren't as used to or prepared for it. And *we're* the ones who lack empathy?

People like that just don't want to see reason. I've posted numerous links to show why a heatwave is worse in the UK because we are just not prepared for it or used to it. We are a TEMPERATE country. We have rain and cloud most of the time with moderate temperatures. Our citizens, infrastructure and living areas are not set up for heatwaves.

Some photos of UK things melting in the heat e.g. roads
https://news.sky.com/story/most-strikin ... s-12654973

Google Datacentres Fry Amid European Heatwave
https://www.ign.com/articles/google-dat ... n-heatwave

The clearest one:
Why a 40C day in the UK is deadlier than a 40C day in other countries

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-heatwave- ... d-12654950

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:51 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

yeah there's some real basics that make a huge difference. Our houses are built to keep us warm in a cold climate. Try having 40C in a house build with insulation to keep you extra warm on a cold night :lol:

also our roads & runways are built with the mixture type just right for our historical climate. Once it goes as high as yesterday it melts. RAF Brize Norton (main military air base) couldn't fly planes as the runway had become too soft.

Also train tracks get buckled. Many trains cancelled and many of those still going were restricted to max 20mph

You just can't compare the same temperature in different countries. There is so much else that gets affected differently.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 12:14 pm

I never want to go through that again. I live on the north side of a city and all of the polluted air was being brought in from there on a southern breeze, it was horrific. House insulated, it was impossible to get it to cool down before the middle of the night. How people on top floor flats with south facing windows coped, I can't imagine.

I'd move to the North East coast close to the Scottish border if I could.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2022, 12:18 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
Surprisingly, for such a long and good-natured chatty thread - I had to remove an entirely unnecessary personal attack.

Pro tip - instead of seeing red and reacting in a hostile manner, ask whether you're not simply misreading an innocuous question and think about how what you want to say will impact on its intended recipient.

Sometimes a question is... just a question.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 12:21 pm

Less than 1% of Britons have air-conditioning. I was shocked to read this figure. And there really isn't a high variety of air-conditioners on sale in the UK.

Nova Scotia has a pretty similar climate to the UK----but it normally doesn't get as hot as the UK. 35 Celsius is a very high temperature for Nova Scotia. It's much colder in the winter in Nova Scotia than it is in the UK.

If one goes to the Prairie Provinces of Canada, though, it can hit 40 Celsius very easily.

About 2 weeks ago, it was over 30 Celsius in such places as Inuvik, which is at 68 degrees North Latitude.

Back to the UK. It was almost 40C even in the North of England.....places like Newcastle-Upon-Tyne got up near 40. Edinburgh, Scotland just barely missed 30 Celsius. I've NEVER seen this sort of heat this far north. Whenever there's a hot spell, it usually is confined to places south of Manchester (inland), and the coast is usually cooler. The infrastructure in the UK, as opposed to Canada, is not made for very hot weather.