First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 18 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:00 am

Misslizard wrote:
I’m sorry about that, I’ve had bats come in the house before when we left a screen door open.I’m guessing most of the windows there don’t have screens?We have so many bugs here all windows and doors have screens.You can buy pop in screens that don’t require any tools to install.

You're right. Window and door screens are unknown in Britain. We'd get very funny looks if we had those installed, I can't think where I'd even buy them. :(

Yes we had bats nesting in our attic for a while, one got into our daughter's bedroom when she was 3! It was so scary. We had to get the Bat Protection people to take it away 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:17 am

A heatwave is a special situation. I understand you're seeking to economize.

But how much more would it cost if you took 1-2 extra showers in a heatwave? My wife's son, who lives in Bromley, economizes on water. I'm guessing water is rather expensive in the UK.

To be honest, I would consider a heatwave a special situation. I guess I'm a spoiled Yank :P

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:45 am

KitLily wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I’m sorry about that, I’ve had bats come in the house before when we left a screen door open.I’m guessing most of the windows there don’t have screens?We have so many bugs here all windows and doors have screens.You can buy pop in screens that don’t require any tools to install.

You're right. Window and door screens are unknown in Britain. We'd get very funny looks if we had those installed, I can't think where I'd even buy them. :(

Yes we had bats nesting in our attic for a while, one got into our daughter's bedroom when she was 3! It was so scary. We had to get the Bat Protection people to take it away 8O

A neighbor had a similar event, he had bats in the attic and blocked them out.But one found a way into the house and bit him in bed!He had to get the rabies shots.
The rooms here would be filled with bugs, birds , flies , moths and no telling what without the screens.
I guess you have no mosquitoes?
Here are the pop in screens, hopefully you won’t ever need them.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... 28210,cs:1

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

But how much more would it cost if you took 1-2 extra showers in a heatwave? My wife's son, who lives in Bromley, economizes on water. I'm guessing water is rather expensive in the UK.

To be honest, I would consider a heatwave a special situation. I guess I'm a spoiled Yank :P

If you keep witch hazel in fridge and wet a washcloth down with it, then wipe off ,its very cooling and saves water.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:25 am

I wonder how many deaths there have been so far?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

You make a good point, you're not a spoiled Yank. It's just not something I'm used to I suppose. We in Britain will have to change our habits :?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:43 am

Misslizard wrote:
KitLily wrote:

A neighbor had a similar event, he had bats in the attic and blocked them out.But one found a way into the house and bit him in bed!He had to get the rabies shots.
The rooms here would be filled with bugs, birds , flies , moths and no telling what without the screens.
I guess you have no mosquitoes?
Here are the pop in screens, hopefully you won’t ever need them.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... 28210,cs:1

How awful! Bats carry all sorts of horrible diseases don't they. We heard something flapping in our daughter's room, luckily she was downstairs with Daddy. It was a baby bat, and another time there was one on my bathroom towel. Nasty little things. Sorry if you like bats but I don't because they carry awful diseases, I didn't want my baby to get bitten.

We have SOME mosquitoes but they are worst in Scotland for some reason. I don't think they carry diseases though.

Yes, I've noticed how many more flies and wasps there are in hot weather! We had 10 flies buzzing in a circle in our lounge. That is very rare here. Most of those insects only last a few months in Britain, probably April to September? They are dead after that from cold.

Oh thanks for the link to the screens! :heart:

Last edited by KitLily on 21 Jul 2022, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
I wonder how many deaths there have been so far?

I don't know yet, they will have to calculate them after the event. A few thousands have died in Europe so far though...

Dozens of British people, mainly teenagers, have died jumping into random lakes, rivers, seas trying to cool off.

I'm not sure if anyone died in the house fires, heath fires, other random fires during the heatwave.

These poor firefighters though...Some of the scenes look like Ukraine...

‘Absolute hell’: firefighters battle blazes across UK on record hottest day

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... record-day

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:54 am

One good thing that happened during this heatwave are the huge, brightly-coloured butterflies I keep seeing. I had one stay on my hand and it was so heavy. So beautiful. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:02 am

Joe90 wrote:
One good thing that happened during this heatwave are the huge, brightly-coloured butterflies I keep seeing. I had one stay on my hand and it was so heavy. So beautiful. :)

Oh yes our buddleia has gone mad in the heatwave flowering like crazy. It attracts so many beautiful butterflies.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:08 am

/\They like the heat, such a wonderful fragrance.The flowering tobaccos thrive in it and release a wonderful perfume in the evening.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:18 am

Misslizard wrote:
/\They like the heat, such a wonderful fragrance.The flowering tobaccos thrive in it and release a wonderful perfume in the evening.

I suppose we'll see what flora and fauna thrive in the new hot weather. A previous dry spell we had showed that my pot plants all went crazy. They got so big and bushy, it was the opposite of how I thought they'd go.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:39 am

/\Some begonias like it, impatiens and coleus , petunias thrive ,if you keep them watered.Also some of the Mediterranean herbs that like it dry and hot ,like thyme and rosemary.Mints like heat but also water.Sorry, I’m really into plants.My therapy.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 12:58 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\Some begonias like it, impatiens and coleus , petunias thrive ,if you keep them watered.Also some of the Mediterranean herbs that like it dry and hot ,like thyme and rosemary.Mints like heat but also water.Sorry, I’m really into plants.My therapy.

The ones I've got, well they are trees really, are called Kalanchoe and Photinia Red Robin in large pots. I didn't even water them because I was saving water for my vegetables. They doubled in size! They must like hot dry weather 8O

That was a terrible drought for weeks, the grass and ivy almost died completely.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 3:43 pm

I hope you all get beneficial showers tomorrow.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 3:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope you all get beneficial showers tomorrow.

Yes, it looks like rain! All the exhausted firefighters, guards and fire victims can relax too...