First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 10 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:30 pm

If these temperatures lasted 8 days, then I might talk about water restrictions. But this is only a 2-day heatwave.

Ironically, London only gets half the precipitation that NYC gets every year....a little less than half, actually.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If these temperatures lasted 8 days, then I might talk about water restrictions. But this is only a 2-day heatwave.

Ironically, London only gets half the precipitation that NYC gets every year....a little less than half, actually.

True. It's still going to be warm (24-28) but that is normal summer temperatures for the UK, plus rain is forecasted. As usual the news loves to turn everything into a catastrophy and scare everyone into thinking we're all going to die. We get too much rain here (sometimes floods) for a few days of heat to come to the point where people have to ration water as far as not flushing toilets. Plus we're on an island, surrounded by water.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:36 pm

London gets way less precipitation than NYC----but the evaporation rate in NYC is much higher than it is in London. Primarily because it's hotter in NYC in the summer----much hotter. Our average maximum temperature in July is 30C, our average minimum 21C.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:43 pm

Places like France and (especially Spain and Portugal) have been getting 40's temperatures for a while now. I don't believe these places are all that big on air-conditioning, either.

Then again, southern Spain routinely gets 40's temperature every summer; it's not unusual for them to approach 50 every summer.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:47 pm

So, day 1.

I've basically sat in my chair indoors in the shade all day but still had to drink constant water and have a cold flannel on my neck. I've hardly eaten anything all day (a few cra.c.k.ers, toast, chicken, peas) because my tummy can't take food in boiling hot weather. I can't afford to lose weight.

This is not fun at all. Roll on Wednesday and cool weather again.

Last edited by KitLily on 18 Jul 2022, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:48 pm

I would take a nice, cool to lukewarm bath, then try to get some sleep.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:50 pm

:heart: I might take a shower later, I'll be throwing up if I have a bath. I need to get a new body. Maybe I could get an android body? Where can I get that? Maybe a Terminator. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:52 pm

:)

I like your sense of humor. This will get you through tomorrow. It's actually supposed to start getting cooler tomorrow night.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:58 pm

Tomorrow night, hooray!

I just get so annoyed and frustrated. I can't stand ANY extremes, I'm on a knife edge all the time with my health. Any tiny little change and my body goes into meltdown. :x :roll:

I would love a Terminator body. That would stop traffic wardens putting tickets on my car :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 3:02 pm

Misslizard wrote:
KitLily wrote:
This sort of thing makes me angry. These poor guards! No one should be wearing bearskins in 40C. Ridiculous. These pictures sum up Britain today- clinging to old traditions despite the fact they're hurting people :roll: :lol:

https://www.mylondon.news/weather/royal ... d-24519888

They need a jug of ice under that hat.

They do. And the poor guard couldn't even hold the bottle of water, he had to be fed by someone else. I thought the Queen was in charge of them, I'd have thought she'd say something about them taking a break.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 3:07 pm

I’ve been in 40C weather a few times.

One time I missed out was when my dad and brother and brother in law went and did a 700km day motorcycle ride that I wasn’t available for. Parts of the trip were 40+ C temps and my dad said it was like riding through a furnace feeling hot wind in your face.

Possibly a bit much, but I’d have liked to have been there just to experience it for novelty’s sake. 8)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 3:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This is not to downgrade what you are experiencing across the pond. You are just not used to it. That the air is both so hot and so dry is the reason for all of the fires breaking out.

Also keep in mind that people vary in the amount of heat they can tolerate. As noted the elderly, very young, people with illnesses and so on can tolerate a lot less.

Yes I think we have dry heat here. I hate humidity.

I'm one of the less tolerant unfortunately. I can cope with rain and cold but heat...no :(

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 3:33 pm

KitLily wrote:
So, day 1.

I've basically sat in my chair indoors in the shade all day but still had to drink constant water and have a cold flannel on my neck. I've hardly eaten anything all day (a few cra.c.k.ers, toast, chicken, peas) because my tummy can't take food in boiling hot weather. I can't afford to lose weight.

This is not fun at all. Roll on Wednesday and cool weather again.

I was at work today. And tomorrow. But I kept feeling more hungry than thirsty. :) I still drank though, but I wasn't craving drink. I don't know why. :lol:

I'm glad you stayed indoors in the cool. I was concerned about you with your health problems, but I know you're wise enough to know to stay indoors and take all the right precautions. Hopefully you can do the same tomorrow. It's going to be slightly hotter tomorrow, but it's supposed to thunder tomorrow night (I don't know if you like thunder or not). Then it is going to cool down - could get down to 18 Celsius on one of the days next week.
In the meantime, just stay safe. :) :heart:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 4:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I was at work today. And tomorrow. But I kept feeling more hungry than thirsty. :) I still drank though, but I wasn't craving drink. I don't know why. :lol:

I'm glad you stayed indoors in the cool. I was concerned about you with your health problems, but I know you're wise enough to know to stay indoors and take all the right precautions. In the meantime, just stay safe. :) :heart:

You poor thing having to be at work. When I used to work out of the home e.g. in London, I remember how awful it was. How I used to do that, I don't know! I think I've got worse over the years.

Thank you. Unfortunately I've got some workmen coming tomorrow to assess my oven! I wish I'd looked at the weather forecast before I'd booked them. I'll have to be sociable to them, and wear modest clothes instead of my nightie :x

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:16 pm

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I'm glad you stayed indoors in the cool. I was concerned about you with your health problems, but I know you're wise enough to know to stay indoors and take all the right precautions. In the meantime, just stay safe. :) :heart:

You poor thing having to be at work. When I used to work out of the home e.g. in London, I remember how awful it was. How I used to do that, I don't know! I think I've got worse over the years.

Thank you. Unfortunately I've got some workmen coming tomorrow to assess my oven! I wish I'd looked at the weather forecast before I'd booked them. I'll have to be sociable to them, and wear modest clothes instead of my nightie :x

Oh dear, how annoying. Hopefully they won't be there all day.

Keep drinking water or juice. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:23 pm

CNN live updates

Quote:
Europe braces for potential gas crisis as demand surges during the heat wave
Europe is bracing for the potential of a full-blown gas crisis later this week just as a historic heat wave has hiked demand for energy to help cool the continent’s homes and businesses.

On Thursday, the Nord Stream 1 pipeline — a crucial artery linking Russia’s gas to the bloc — is due to reopen after 10 days of routine maintenance work. But concern is building that Russia will keep the taps turned off in retaliation for sanctions the European Union has imposed since Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine in February.

Global heat records are outpacing cool records by 10-to-1 this year
Hot-temperature records are far outpacing cool records across the globe so far this year as Europe and the United States brace again for dangerous heat waves.

Globally, 188 all-time heat records have been broken so far in 2022 (with more than 50 of those occurring in the past week), compared with just 18 cold records, according to data from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

In the US alone, 92 all-time record high temperatures had been set through July 16, compared with only five all-time record low temperatures.

Ireland records its highest temperature in over a century
Ireland on Monday recorded 33 degrees Celsius (91.4 degrees Fahrenheit) at Phoenix Park in Dublin, the country's highest-ever recorded temperature in over a century and a new record for the month of July, the Irish Meteorological Service said.

Monday's temperature at Phoenix Park is only 0.3 degrees Celsius below the all-time 135-year-old record set at Kilkenny Castle in Ireland in 1887, the Irish Observational Climatology said.

UK experiences its third hottest day on record
The top temperature in the UK on Monday was 38.1 degrees Celsius (100.58 degrees Fahrenheit) recorded in Santon Downham, Suffolk.

Monday was the UK’s third hottest day on record, after 38.7 degrees Celsius (101.66 degrees Fahrenheit) was recorded at Cambridge Botanic Garden in July 2019 and 38.5 degrees Celsius (101.3 degrees Fahrenheit) was recorded in Faversham, Kent, in August 2003.

The Met Office is warning that Tuesday is likely to be even hotter, after it issued its first ever Red warning for exceptional heat, covering both Monday and Tuesday.

Record temperatures registered across western France
Records for high temperatures were broken across many cities and towns in the west of France on Monday as the country continues to battle wildfires burning in its southwestern region of Gironde.

The town of Cazaux, threatened by the raging wildfires in Gironde, recorded 42.4 degrees Celsius (108.3 degrees Fahrenheit), the hottest it has ever seen since its weather station first opened more than 100 years ago in 1921, according to the French national meteorological service Météo France.

Major cities in Western France, such as Nantes and Brest have also seen their records updated by the heatwave on Monday — Nantes saw 42 degrees Celsius (107.6 degrees Fahrenheit) and Brest 39.3 degrees Celsius (102.7 degrees Fahrenheit), according to Météo France.

Temperatures in the west are expected to be lower on Tuesday compared to Monday as the center of the heatwave moves toward the center and east of the country. Paris is expected to reach 39 degrees Celsius (102.2 degrees Fahrenheit) Tuesday.

Britain's Network Rail asks people not to travel on Tuesday in anticipation of record-high temperatures
Network Rail, which owns, operates and develops Britain’s rail infrastructure, is asking people not to travel Tuesday due to extreme heat.

The company said in a tweet the East Coast Main Line will be closed and no services will run between London King's Cross and York and Leeds.

"A combination of extremely high local forecast temperatures and temperatures well in excess of those for which the infrastructure is designed for on the East Coast Main Line has led to this decision," it said on its website.

Network Rail also said conditions on other routes are subject to change depending on the weather. Extreme heat can cause the rail to expand, causing it to bend and buckle, the company says, adding the high temperatures can also be dangerous for workers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman