First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 20 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 10:50 am

KitLily wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Our local maximum was 39 degrees - 5 degrees higher than it has EVER been in this town. But the previous record was just two years ago! For some reason Yorkshire and northern parts of the Midlands were hit particularly badly this time round - in 2020, it was a bit further south.

Yes, I saw that. The red warning was all in the middle of the country wasn't it. Away from the cooling sea breezes perhaps?

That could be another reason we don't usually get heatwaves: UK is a small island surrounded by cooling sea breezes.

Annoyingly it's very rare for me to go to the seaside and not have a cool wind blowing my hair about and making me feel chilly, even on the warmest of days. I thought the heatwave (late 30s) might have been the best day to go to a seaside without having to put up with wind, but then I knew everyone else would be doing the exact same thing and I'm not that stupid to follow the herd. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 12:26 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Annoyingly it's very rare for me to go to the seaside and not have a cool wind blowing my hair about and making me feel chilly, even on the warmest of days. I thought the heatwave (late 30s) might have been the best day to go to a seaside without having to put up with wind, but then I knew everyone else would be doing the exact same thing and I'm not that stupid to follow the herd. :)

I know what you mean, I used to be always, always cold. But now I'm in my 50s I'm just the right temperature! So hang on in there.

Yes, the beaches looked horrendous! Packed elbow to elbow 8O

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 3:37 pm

Another heatwave but hopefully not as bad as the last one. Looks like this will be what summers are like for us from now on in Britain...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 3:56 pm

We just got over a two-week heatwave.

Just take precautions.

It doesn't seem as if it will be as bad as it was in late July.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 3:57 pm

I'm armed with all the advice from the previous one now, thanks everyone! I just sat with my feet in a bowl of cold water.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 4:04 pm

I wonder if they have this in the UK: something called "Arctic Air."

https://www.arcticairpurechill.com/ONTV ... tsid=25614

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 7:17 pm

KitLily wrote:
I'm armed with all the advice from the previous one now, thanks everyone! I just sat with my feet in a bowl of cold water.

Make it like a spa day and put some cucumber slices on your eyes and have a cool fruity drink.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wonder if they have this in the UK: something called "Arctic Air."

https://www.arcticairpurechill.com/ONTV ... tsid=25614

I highly doubt it :wink: We don't really do air conditioning stuff in Britain. Too busy trying to keep warm and dry :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:14 am

Misslizard wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Make it like a spa day and put some cucumber slices on your eyes and have a cool fruity drink.

Spa week :lol:

We're going Mediterranean though- everyone is doing things early and late in the day to avoid the hot middle bit :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:47 am

I'm a true fan of summer but even I'm getting tired of it now, not so much the heat but the dryness. I want it to rain. Even if it's still 35 degrees, I still want a monsoon.

It reminds me of the winter of 2009 into 2010, we had weeks and weeks of snow that would not go away. It didn't keep snowing, but the snow we did get was just laying around and wouldn't thaw for about 2 months. Even people who liked the snow were getting tired of it.

And the heat is making me lazy. When I'm at work I just don't feel like doing anything, which isn't like me. I just want to sit lazily and do nothing. I hate it, because society frowns upon laziness, but I can't help it. :cry:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:54 am

I'm in the UK at the moment.
Its strange that although i came from winter in Northern Australia, the minimum and maximum temperatures in the two countries are almost identical at the moment.
Feels just like home. :D

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:35 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm a true fan of summer but even I'm getting tired of it now, not so much the heat but the dryness. I want it to rain. Even if it's still 35 degrees, I still want a monsoon.

It reminds me of the winter of 2009 into 2010, we had weeks and weeks of snow that would not go away. It didn't keep snowing, but the snow we did get was just laying around and wouldn't thaw for about 2 months. Even people who liked the snow were getting tired of it.

I'm not a fan of hot weather, 24C is my maximum, but it is getting annoying now and droughts are being announced.

I remember that winter. We live in a small village and the shops were running out of food. People were standing around the shelves snatching bread and milk as it was being put on the shelves. The snow froze, it was impossible to walk on and we were more or less housebound. We had to go out at midday when it was warmest. This was not fun with a delicate 3 year old child.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:36 am

Raleigh wrote:
I'm in the UK at the moment.
Its strange that although i came from winter in Northern Australia, the minimum and maximum temperatures in the two countries are almost identical at the moment.
Feels just like home. :D

What are the winter temperatures in Australia then? Sounds like you have hot winters!

What's the lowest temperature it gets in Australia?

Also, how does the UK house you are in cope with the heat? Is it nice and cosy? Or is it easy to keep cool and airy? Is it better or worse than your house in Australia?

Last edited by KitLily on 11 Aug 2022, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:41 am

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:43 am

Yes, we don't have air conditioning, fly screens, wooden floors etc. We have cosy, warm, insulated homes with thick carpets and warm curtains designed to keep the heat in and the cold out. We can have all doors and windows open all day, yet the minute we shut them for the night, the house starts heating up again.

I've said this numerous times throughout this whole thread.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:57 am

/\ I get it, older homes here are built for cooling.We suffer when it gets near zero.
Cold floors and space heaters.I have wood heat so the rooms far away from heater get chilly.
Nothing looks as cosy as an English cottage.