First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 14 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sorry about that! That you missed most of the showers......but I do believe things will start to cool off now.

It's below 30 Celsius in most places west of the showers, especially Stonehenge and west.

We had a 2 minute rain shower :lol:

I do keep getting a gust of cool wind through the door.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:05 am

Misslizard wrote:
People that toss lit cigarette butts out the window during a drought are the worst.
They cause lots of grease fires.But when it gets that hot and dry even a car pulled over on the grass can set it on fire from the heat of the catalytic converter.Just a spark from something dragging on the concrete or even a broken piece of glass reflecting the sun.

Some people can be so stupid can't they with the cigarettes and things...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:09 am

It's forecast to go down to 27 by 6 PM. I believe those showers represented the beginnings of the cool front.

Glad you're able to feel the cool breeze!

I believe the heat wave just might be over for you.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:12 am

KitLily wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
People that toss lit cigarette butts out the window during a drought are the worst.
They cause lots of grease fires.But when it gets that hot and dry even a car pulled over on the grass can set it on fire from the heat of the catalytic converter.Just a spark from something dragging on the concrete or even a broken piece of glass reflecting the sun.

Some people can be so stupid can't they with the cigarettes and things...

Lol with spell check , grass fires not grease.Yes, and I was a former smoker and NEVER tossed my butts out.So irresponsible!! I remember riding behind somebody that tossed a lit one out right into the dry grass.It’s like a parade of idiots, people that still use the burn barrel even though we are under a burn ban, dump their bbq coals out etc.,,,

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:19 am

KitLily wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
You may get weird fluctuations like we do, very cold spells in the winter then scorching summers.I’ve seen it below zero one winter with almost a foot of snow and then 111 one summer.You have to prepare for both extremes here .haha
Planting greenery in heat islands like cities is a good way to plan for future heat waves.Maybe this will inspire that to happen.More Trees for everyone!!
I have wood floors and they are cool in the summer and cold in the winter so I use throw rugs then.Right now the dogs prefer to lay on the floor rather the couch.

We have been getting weird fluctuations like that for the last few years but probably not as extreme as yours.

If we had a decent government they'd plant greenery but they are the opposite. They are cutting down on measures to help the environment and increasing fracking and fossil fuel usage. :evil: Very like Trump.

As I said, most British homes have fitted carpets, cosy furnishings, everything is warm and soft. It makes a huge difference if you have wood floors in hot weather. All the furnishings in my house smell right now and are radiating heat. It's hard to explain what it's like to people not used to having fitted carpets. Even Europeans don't have cosy, warm homes because they are used to hot weather. Brits are not :(

It’s weird how stuff smells in the heat, like it amplifies any odors trapped and releases them.If we have heat and humidity, then we get mold and mildew.It would grow on leather shoes and belts and wood, a light blue film.
The smell is awful.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:19 am

Misslizard wrote:
Lol with spell check , grass fires not grease.Yes, and I was a former smoker and NEVER tossed my butts out.So irresponsible!! I remember riding behind somebody that tossed a lit one out right into the dry grass.It’s like a parade of idiots, people that still use the burn barrel even though we are under a burn ban, dump their bbq coals out etc.,,,

There is a large percentage of idiots these days because they can be idiots. For most of history, if they were idiots, they died. Now they can get by.

A lot of services aren't available at the moment too e.g. Netflix, emails. Apparently the servers are overheating or something 8O

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's forecast to go down to 27 by 6 PM. I believe those showers represented the beginnings of the cool front.

Glad you're able to feel the cool breeze!

I believe the heat wave just might be over for you.

Still 31C in here. I hope the coolness hurries up!

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 12:04 pm

KitLily wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Current temp: 39°C - 103°F

Where's that?

I just typed in "UK" but probably London.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 12:34 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Current temp: 39°C - 103°F

Where's that?

I just typed in "UK" but probably London.

Yes it is London and other places, look at this link:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-62184978

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 12:35 pm

It just rained for about 15 minutes! It's now 26C or less and we can relax a bit!

That was very scary. I'd better prepare for more heatwaves...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 12:53 pm

Yep....the cool front went through!

London might not get the rain----but they'll get the west wind soon.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:00 pm

I read earlier today that a kid in the UK got sent home from school just for wearing shorts during the heat wave.

What really shocked me is that kids in the UK are in school in the middle of July and not on summer vacation, or "holiday" as they call it in the UK.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:31 pm

Quote:
I read earlier today that a kid in the UK got sent home from school just for wearing shorts during the heat wave.

I don't understand that, as shorts are actually part of the uniform in UK schools, unless it was at a high school, because at high school all students must wear blazers, ties and trousers or skirts, but no shorts. I think high schools should allow shorts in extreme heat, as surely being too hot can interfere with their learning.

Quote:
What really shocked me is that kids in the UK are in school in the middle of July and not on summer vacation, or "holiday" as they call it in the UK.

I think UK schools break up tomorrow or Thursday for summer. We only get about 6 weeks off for summer.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:43 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Yes that shorts story is ridiculous.

We can have rain and cold any season of the year. We're used to it, but we're not used to very hot weather. Our academic year is September to July, it never really gets hot. Summer holidays are end of July to early September.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:45 pm

Why a 40C day in the UK is deadlier than a 40C day in other countries

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-heatwave- ... d-12654950

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 3:48 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Joe90 wrote:
I don't understand that, as shorts are actually part of the uniform in UK schools, unless it was at a high school, because at high school all students must wear blazers, ties and trousers or skirts, but no shorts. I think high schools should allow shorts in extreme heat, as surely being too hot can interfere with their learning.

Found a BBC article which is itself a bit confusing,
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-62207137
"The father of a schoolboy sent home for wearing shorts to class as England faced its hottest day so far this year says he is "fuming".
Alan Freeman said he was "baffled" when his son, 14, came home to change.
Heckmondwike Grammar School in West Yorkshire told the teenager to switch his grey formal shorts despite the soaring temperatures.
A school spokesperson said uniform policy had been relaxed to allow the removal of blazers and ties only.
Mr Freeman, who made the shorts from a pair of trousers, said the school had sent out guidelines asking pupils not to wear sport shorts.
"They gave me the impression that grey formal shorts were allowed," he said.
"[My son] has come home, put long trousers on and gone back to school.
"He's not very happy. He's a bit exhausted and weary."
Mr Freeman said none of the other students were wearing shorts.
"

on the other hand, in some places,

Heatwave: Schools to close or let children wear PE kit to keep cool
By Hazel Shearing
Education correspondent
Published 4 days ago
https://www.bbc.com/news/education-62182530
"
Simon Kidwell, head teacher at Hartford Manor Primary School and Nursery in Cheshire, told the BBC he had advised parents to send children to school in cool clothes to prevent overheating.

"Uniform policy is out of the window for Monday and Tuesday," he said.

"Polo shirts aren't always the lightest weight so just making sure that they can wear their clothes which are the coolest and which feel most comfortable."
"