First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 19 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 6:08 am

So the heatwave officially ended on Tuesday, it was a bit hot on Wednesday, but finally by Friday the house has cooled down enough for me to wear normal clothes and not overheat!

This heatwave has certainly been an education in how efficient British houses are at keeping us warm and cosy, whatever the weather! :?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 10:00 am

f$&%?*g heat killed my truck battery.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 11:08 am

Misslizard wrote:
f$&%?*g heat killed my truck battery.

I'm sorry to hear that. The world is definitely getting hotter isn't it... :(

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 12:11 pm

It’s funny in a way because the news mentioned heat is as bad as extreme cold for batteries and the thought flashed through my mind, “How old is my battery?”.
I know the answer, old enough to die .
Even if you are used to extreme heat waves it’s a pain.It does seem like they are happening more often and in places that never had extreme heat before.
Too hot in the middle of the day to enjoy sitting outside so you get cabin fever.If it’s humid ,it’s worse.But with low humidity the chance of wildfires goes up.
Then fingers crossed no rolling blackouts. No power outages or fires in my area.So far so good.Rain would really help.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 12:47 pm

Yes, humans aren't really designed for extreme heat are they. Extreme humidity must be horrendous, and is more dangerous. We don't get extreme humidity in Britain, so far.

Climate change is definitely happening, people 8O

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 2:06 pm

it was early thirties in wales, still didnt feel like doing much but sit in front of the fan for a couple of days

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 3:17 pm

klanka wrote:
it was early thirties in wales, still didnt feel like doing much but sit in front of the fan for a couple of days

Really! Gosh it doesn't usually get that hot there does it.

I was luckier that it only got to about 31C here but London and the Midlands were 40C. Couldn't stand that. It felt like our house was sweating as it was. And it took so long to cool down afterwards...days! :x

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 4:01 am

KitLily wrote:
Yes, humans aren't really designed for extreme heat are they. Extreme humidity must be horrendous, and is more dangerous. We don't get extreme humidity in Britain, so far

yes, this is something that I think is often overlooked. I find quirks and differences in humans due to history quite interesting. Over tens of thousands of years our bodies have adapted and changed shape to best cope with the climates we are in (further towards the north pole you are the thinner your nostrils so that you take in less cold air), so when something extreme happens, like the heat we experienced in the UK, we are literally not set up to cope with it well

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 5:37 am

I've always said that I much prefer cold weather to hot, but I've been saying that with the luxury of central heating all of my life. Winter has effectively been a prolonged Autumn going straight into Spring, indoors. With gas prices spiralling out of control, I and many others are probably going to experience winters for real for the first time and we'll have something else to complain about.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 6:01 am

Biscuitman wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Yes, humans aren't really designed for extreme heat are they. Extreme humidity must be horrendous, and is more dangerous. We don't get extreme humidity in Britain, so far

yes, this is something that I think is often overlooked. I find quirks and differences in humans due to history quite interesting. Over tens of thousands of years our bodies have adapted and changed shape to best cope with the climates we are in (further towards the north pole you are the thinner your nostrils so that you take in less cold air), so when something extreme happens, like the heat we experienced in the UK, we are literally not set up to cope with it well

Hit the nail on the head. Brits are not set up to cope with extreme heat, either bodily or environmentally.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 6:03 am

lostproperty wrote:
I've always said that I much prefer cold weather to hot, but I've been saying that with the luxury of central heating all of my life. Winter has effectively been a prolonged Autumn going straight into Spring, indoors. With gas prices spiralling out of control, I and many others are probably going to experience winters for real for the first time and we'll have something else to complain about.

I know what you mean. I tend to prefer cold weather but I bet people in extremely cold climates would think I was silly.

Yes, the coming winter is not going to be fun is it...

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 10:36 am

I've only been in wales just over a year, it usually quite cold :)

Can't imagine putting up with 40C

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 10:41 am

klanka wrote:
I've only been in wales just over a year, it usually quite cold :)

Can't imagine putting up with 40C

I lived in Wales for 3 years, it was wet. Wet, wet and wet. I spent my life in raincoats and wellies :lol: Really nice, friendly people though!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 8:29 am

Our local maximum was 39 degrees - 5 degrees higher than it has EVER been in this town. But the previous record was just two years ago! For some reason Yorkshire and northern parts of the Midlands were hit particularly badly this time round - in 2020, it was a bit further south.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 10:12 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Our local maximum was 39 degrees - 5 degrees higher than it has EVER been in this town. But the previous record was just two years ago! For some reason Yorkshire and northern parts of the Midlands were hit particularly badly this time round - in 2020, it was a bit further south.

Yes, I saw that. The red warning was all in the middle of the country wasn't it. Away from the cooling sea breezes perhaps?

That could be another reason we don't usually get heatwaves: UK is a small island surrounded by cooling sea breezes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 10:33 am

Even coastal sections in the north were over 35C.