First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 2 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:20 am

Windows open, fans blowing, light clothing, lots of cold beverages, refrain from strenuous activity.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:22 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
we don’t get big wildfires like out west.
It hasn’t rained in weeks ,so I’m expecting a repeat.

While I'm wishing for y'all's sake you don't have wildfires, I'm also considering the little detail that wildfires in your area are a whole lot closer to my area than the ones out west are!

Oh, and while we're posting links,
Fire Weather
Weather.gov > Fire Weather
https://www.weather.gov/fire/

Last rain was June 23 and only 1/2 inch.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:26 am

Even we in NYC haven't gotten much rain since June.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:32 am

Here's the US drought page, https://www.drought.gov/

Haven't seen if UK Met Office has similar kind of drought page, https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:41 am

Here is the UK drought page

https://eip.ceh.ac.uk/droughts

Southeast England has been very dry. But it's been quite wet in Scotland.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 9:56 am

Thanks everyone. I appreciate that you don't just say 'Google it' but instead like to have conversations with me.

I agree with the one who said it's forecast to be 38C in the Home Counties. Unimaginable isn't it, for us pale Brits...I am pale and freckly, I can't go out in the normal sun so I'm definitely not going out in 38C!! !

The government is always moaning about droughts in Britain. That will never happen here.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jul 2022, 10:21 am

KitLily wrote:
Any advice on how to keep cool?
Loitering in the dairy aisle in Tesco for longer than is strictly necessary.
That's lovely and very cooling; unfortunately you do have to get there without melting first.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:27 am

People can go to malls if they live nearby, or have a car.

Or go to a place like Sainsbury's----especially the big ones.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:36 am

:lol: :lol: Supermarket cold aisles are going to be very full for the next few days!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:46 am

Libraries are the best.Quiet and cool and books , all those wonderful books and most have WiFi.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:53 am

KitLily wrote:
Thanks Misslizard for all that good advice!

We are used to rain in Britain. Rain, rain and more rain. Not hot weather.

I hope your triple digit heat is Fahrenheit not Celsius! lol.

You’re welcome.I don’t know if you need to save water ,but I collect my hand washing water to pour on some of my potted house plants, and also the condensation drip from the AC to water non-edible plants, also place a bucket in the shower to catch water.
If it gets really dry make sure there isn’t any flammable material against the house or in the gutters.
Dead evergreens and grasses are really flammable, like a torch.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 11:21 am

Misslizard wrote:
You’re welcome. I don’t know if you need to save water ,but I collect my hand washing water to pour on some of my potted house plants, and also the condensation drip from the AC to water non-edible plants, also place a bucket in the shower to catch water.
If it gets really dry make sure there isn’t any flammable material against the house or in the gutters.
Dead evergreens and grasses are really flammable, like a torch.

See this is the type of information we need! We have no clue about things like that in Britain because we have so much rain and cold. :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 11:26 am

Glad to help.Last winter was cold and snowy, this spring unusually cold and wet , and in June the rain stopped and it turned hotter than the hubs of hell.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 4:06 pm

The weather is going mad. We have 4 seasons in one day most days: rainy, windy, sunny, hailing.

The worrying thing about heatwaves in Britain is the idiots who think heatwaves are the ideal time to go sunbathing, swimming, get drunk at parties outside etc. Then they get heatstroke, overheated, dehydrated, sunburnt, drown etc. They have no idea about the dangers of heatwaves :roll:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 4:22 pm

KitLily wrote:
They have no idea about the dangers of heatwaves

That leads to an impulse to be silly and say, Do the Irish even know that sunburn exists?

Which then leads to a desire to find actual information.

Which leads to finding,

Everything you need to know about sunburn
Updated / Tuesday, 8 Jun 2021 13:10
https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/201 ... t-sunburn/
"
We spoke to Dr Triona McCarthy, Consultant in Public Health Medicine, about what sunburn is, how to avoid it, how to treat it and why tanning might not be worth the negative effects on our health.
"
"
With 11,000 new diagnoses of skin cancer in Ireland each year - 1,000 of which are of melanoma, the more serious form of cancer that can spread to other parts of the body - proper sun protection must be taken seriously, particularly as "a very large proportion of Irish people have the lightest type of skin", McCarthy notes.
"
and

Met Éireann, The Irish Meteorological Service
Sunshine
Sunshine and Solar Radiation
https://www.met.ie/climate/what-we-measure/sunshine
"
Ireland normally gets between 1100 and 1600 hours of sunshine each year. The sunniest months are May and June. During these months, sunshine duration averages between 5 and 6.5 hours per day over most of the country. The extreme southeast gets most sunshine, averaging over 7 hours a day in early summer. December is the dullest month, with an average daily sunshine ranging from about 1 hour in the north to almost 2 hours in the extreme southeast. Over the year as a whole, most areas get an average of between 3 1/4 and 3 3/4 hours of sunshine each day. 1887 was the sunniest summer in the 100 years from 1881 to 1980, according to measurements made at the Phoenix Park in Dublin. A more recent summer, 1980, was the dullest.

The tendency for coastal regions to record more bright sunshine than inland areas is the result of the convective development of clouds over land. This daily development of cloud is due to the vertical air currents as a result of thermal heating of the ground. Upland areas are also prone to low values of bright sunshine because of greater cloudiness especially on slopes facing the prevailing winds.

The most important variations of daily bright sunshine are due to seasonal changes corresponding to changes in the sun’s elevation. The mean daily bright sunshine at Rosslare is almost 1.9 hours in winter, 5.3 hours in spring and 6.1 hours in summer.
"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 4:25 pm

I'm worrying about it too, and I've never been worried about heat before, as it's my favourite weather (next to rain and thunder).

The 40 Celsius temperatures were going to be at the weekend but now it's postponed to Monday and Tuesday when I've got to go to work, and it's going to be horrendous. I didn't even want to go outside in 40 degrees weather, I was planning on cooling off indoors if it was at the weekend like it was supposed to be.

I'm hoping work will call me and say that it's too hot to clean coaches (or if lack thereof, sit around in hot clothes waiting for 5pm). But I doubt they will. I don't know if I'm classed as a key worker or not.

I did want to be at home making sure my pet rats are cooling off. I've bought them an indoor paddling-pool to play in when it's really hot, but they obviously need to be under supervision. My boyfriend isn't as good at supervising rats as I am, although I could still set up the paddling pool and tell him to stay in the room and keep an eye just while I'm at work during the afternoon.

Our apartment gets hot, which is a bonus in the winter but not in the summer. Also my dad is traveling on Monday and I'm worrying about the extreme heat overheating his car on the highway. Knowing him though, he'll probably travel early in the morning when it's at its coolest.

Yes, 40+ is unusually hot for the UK. Typically during a UK heatwave the temperature doesn't get much higher than 34, so having temperatures of over 40 is going to be a shock to everyone.