The Universe Could "Bounce" For Eternity

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 5:44 pm

https://www.sciencealert.com/eternal-bouncing-universes-still-have-to-start-somewhere

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 5:54 pm

So...the Universe is both a diesel engine, and a perpetual motion machine?

The piston goes back down the cylinder, and the compression on the fuel is enough to make the fuel explode, and push the cylinder back out. Then when it finishes the upstroke the cycle starts over. But unlike a diesel engine it somehow never gains entropy, and keeps on going forever without need for any refuel?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 10:17 pm

So there's a chance that I can be sitting here again posting on WP after the next Big Bang, because that was actually a Big Bounce.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 4:59 am

The Universe will return to its present form. But it wont necessarily repeat the exact history of the previous post Big Bang expansion with every detail being exactly the same. So a new Earth with a new you would not appear.

On the other hand...who knows? If the arrow of time itself gets reversed, and then set forward, it might be like rewinding and replaying on a VHS tape, and you would be sitting here again in front of the computer 20 billion years from now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:24 pm

So I assume reality is therefore made up of countless numbers of "bouncing" universes in the multiverse? How do we know if other universes experience big bangs?