Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 12:52 pm

Okay reading on Opera news today . Tomarrow , July 19th. Possibly through the 23rd .Some large Coronal ejections from the Sun ( known as flares) . Maybe damaging to some communication satellites and possibly affecting communications on the ground. So just a heads up if you notice some problems . In receiving various types of radio signals , possibly including TV reception and other devises. ??? Time to wear tinfoil hats ???? :jester:

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 1:14 pm

Have you ever watched  Day of The Triffids ?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:43 pm

This might be of interest,

Space Weather Prediction Center
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/c/TamithaSkov/about
"
Description
I am a space weather physicist. You may recognize me from TV shows I've done for The History Channel and The Weather Channel. I've been featured in Popular Science Magazine, and I am a regular on TWiT TV and TMRO Space News. I want to open your world to a new kind of weather that's becoming important to our daily lives.

Think of all the technology we take for granted, like GPS & traffic apps on mobile phones, drones & UAVs that fly above our heads, high-altitude airline flights, satellite internet, satellite phones, Direct TV, even SiriusXM Radio -- all of these things are directly affected by Space Weather. As we become more reliant on smart, wireless technologies, our dependence upon Space Weather grows. Even today, emergency radio communications used by disaster relief agencies like the Red Cross depend on it. I'm working to make credible Space Weather forecasts as common as the weather forecasts you see on the evening news. I would love for you to join me on this journey!
"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:46 pm

Leading space science expert predicts a 'direct hit' on Earth from a solar storm
It can cause significant blackouts to GPS navigation systems.
By Loukia Papadopoulos
Jul 17, 2022 (Updated: Jul 17, 2022 09:04 EDT)
https://interestingengineering.com/sola ... -hit-earth
" ...
Skov is a research scientist at the federally funded Aerospace Corporation and an award-winning science educator on social media.

"Direct Hit!" she wrote on Twitter. "A snake-like filament launched as a big solar storm while in the Earth-strike zone."

"NASA predicts impact early July 19. Strong Aurora shows possible with this one, deep into mid-latitudes," she explained, adding that there could be disruption to GPS and amateur radio.

G2 level conditions

Her worrisome tweet was followed by another post accompanied by a video of the Sun.
"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 11:18 pm

I have a tinfoil German helmet named Schultz. I'll be wearing him tomorrow.