Pat Benatar won't preform 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot'

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I disagree but respect her decision. That is what I was trying to say in my OP.

Oh, okay.

It's probably best for artists not to perform work that they are uncomfortable with because it could impact their performance.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 2:05 am

I actually bought her album in the 1980s and the lyrics to this song always seemed metaphorical in my mind?

Have to agree with vegieman on this one (BTW before you run away what happened to the farewell thread?)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:41 am

If she would have written the song, maybe she would feel differently.

Still….her choice.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 9:43 am

I read some rock critic decades ago lambasting Pat Benatar for the song.

He interpreted the chorus to mean 'to punch', and not use a gun. And the other lyrics do say things like "put up your dukes lets get down to it".

Critic accused her of 'hypocrisy' because she put the song on the same album as the song "Hell is for Children" which protests child abuse.

"How can you glorify fighting in one song, and protest physical child abuse in the next song?" he was saying.

I as a disagreed with him (though I also the image of she and dude with boxing gloves, and not guns), and that even he was taking the song too literally. I always thought it was obvious that it meant "hit me with your best pick up line". And that was addressing a guy who was a womanizing serial seducer. Taunting him to see if his charms worked on her or not. "you're a smooth operator with a long history of breaking little hearts like you tried with me.." . That line only makes sense with my interpretation.

Or not.

I didnt know until now that the song was written by a male person from a pov. Dont know if that changes my interpretation or not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 12:50 pm

The bottom line is that Ms. Benatar chose to stop singing the song of her own free will.

Whether or not anyone else believes she ‘should’ have done so is now a moot point.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
The bottom line is that Ms. Benatar chose to stop singing the song of her own free will.

Whether or not anyone else believes she ‘should’ have done so is now a moot point.

Fans and others are going to interpret and misinterpret lyrics. Always have, probably always will. Not liking that is moot but free speech.

This is not "cancel culture". She said if you like the song listen to it. There was no pressure campaign ongoing for her to drop it.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:13 pm

You have to belt out the lyrics into the mike with full conviction in front of fifty thousand fans. While at the same time having the recent news in the back of your head. I dont blame her for dropping it from her repertoire.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:16 pm

Basically, it's all up to Benatar.

And it's not for us to judge.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:21 pm

Kind of like the Dixie Chicks and Lady Antebellum changing their names to "The Chicks" and Lady A.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:26 pm

Antebellum: The South before the abolition of slavery, before the Civil War.

Dixie: A prime nickname for the South. It can have both good and bad connotations.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:28 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The bottom line is that Ms. Benatar chose to stop singing the song of her own free will. Whether or not anyone else believes she ‘should’ have done so is now a moot point.
Fans and others are going to interpret and misinterpret lyrics. Always have, probably always will. Not liking that is moot but free speech. This is not "cancel culture". She said if you like the song listen to it. There was no pressure campaign ongoing for her to drop it.
Exactly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Dixie: A prime nickname for the South. It can have both good and bad connotations.

Same....Pat Penatar has probably been told via social media her song seems to be promoting domestic violence. She responded sure....but it's taken her exactly 42 years to stop singing it.

It's an interesting example of how implicit bias works. An important aspect of bias is where the issue does not impact on the person they simply pay no mind to how it impacts other people. To be fair to all three musicians they grew up at a time before social media and their management are trying to retcon their image in hindsight to avoid bad publicity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 5:17 pm

I don’t feel the song promotes domestic violence.

I read the interpretation of the song by the writer.

My opinion is that it’s a metaphor for people who experience frustration at constant arguments within relationships.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 6:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Same....Pat Penatar has probably been told via social media her song seems to be promoting domestic violence. She responded sure....but it's taken her exactly 42 years to stop singing it.

It's an interesting example of how implicit bias works. An important aspect of bias is where the issue does not impact on the person they simply pay no mind to how it impacts other people. To be fair to all three musicians they grew up at a time before social media and their management are trying to retcon their image in hindsight to avoid bad publicity.

Again, there was no ongoing campaign for her to stop preforming the song. In light of recent events the lyrics have a different meaning to her. That simple, nothing else to see.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 12:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes. One band NEEDED a name change more than did the other.

"Lady Antebellum" was horrible name for a band from the get-go for the reason you said. It implies nostalgia for the slave owning pre civil war south.

"Dixie Chicks" was fine when they started (its a music reference to a Little Feat song), and arguably its still fine now, because its just a nickname for the South.

So "Lady A" is a needed change.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 2:02 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Again, there was no ongoing campaign for her to stop preforming the song. In light of recent events the lyrics have a different meaning to her. That simple, nothing else to see.

She has clearly been oblivious (as I mentioned I used to be a fan and never picked up this connection) it's been 42 years to she was happy to perform the song? It's quite obvious in the current environment she didn't have to read the tea leaves and somebody on social media must have triggered her (or her management) awareness.