Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2022, 5:14 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... -shortage/

Florida just allowed veterans with no teaching background to teach in the classroom. Governor Ron DeSantis said a marine with no education training can teach better than someone with an education degree. Arizona is allowing college students to step in and instruct children and rural school districts in Texas are switching to four-day weeks this fall due to lack of staff.

But is there really a teacher shortage? Or is there a shortage of adequate pay and respect from parents, students and the administration?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 12:54 am

I can't speak to the rest of the country, but my brother is a teacher here in Washington and his salary is around $80K, he's only been teaching about 3 years. Yes, public school, and not in a rich district either.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:11 am

There's a shortage in my district and I believe in my state in general (though maybe not in the wealthiest few districts). Starting salary here is crap and the benefits sucks. Right now you can teach here once you have x amount of credits and the school district will allow you to continue taking classes to get your proper degree/certification. We have tons of long term substitutes right now and not actual teachers. These subs make, I believe, $100 a day and only need 90 or 100 credits in anything/doesn't matter what. No one wants to teach. Why would they? Kids do things in class like throw stuff at each other and security doesn't respond. Parents yell at teachers for 'picking' on their children (the ones who throw things in class are usually innocent angels who can do no wrong to their parents). Teachers make less money than bartenders around here. Seriously, my one ex is a teacher and has a part time job at a bar working three nights a week and makes more there than at their teaching job. Less drama at the bar as well. It's crazy to me. They're overworked, underpaid, and often have to buy their students school supplies with their own money if they want their students to have things like paper and pencils, and usually have more than 30 kids per classroom. I have no idea why anyone would want to be a teacher nowadays. It's not really worth it. It's not like you even get to teach since all your time goes to preparing kids for standardized testing. The whole thing is a colossal clusterfu**, imho.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 6:21 am

In Australia there are so many regulations on teaching children that now you need a masters degree in early education to change a nappy in daycare, Coupled with the uncompetitive salary and there's a high attrition among teachers. There is a general feeling among teachers that they are not appreciated,

Even in universities the research academics look at those of us who are "education focused" as losers. It's no wonder there is a belief in the private sector that "those who can't teach". But by jeeves, those same ignorant snobs expect (no demand) their little darlings get the best quality education :roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 12:58 pm

Why not just raise the wages? I think they are way underpaid because of the BS they have to put up with and it's not easy to teach students. That is why you need a degree so you can tech students of different learning styles and be creative and know how to keep their attention. I have had bad teachers who didn't know how to control their class and keep students' attention.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 12:59 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I can't speak to the rest of the country, but my brother is a teacher here in Washington and his salary is around $80K, he's only been teaching about 3 years. Yes, public school, and not in a rich district either.

Looks like a good pay because I read their average salary is $30k.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:13 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

National averages:

Elementary: $61,400
Jr. High: $61,320
High School: $61,820
Special Ed: $61,820
College Professors: $79,640

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:15 pm

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Governor Ron DeSantis said a marine with no education training can teach better than someone with an education degree.
Maybe for a Phys-Ed class, but not for any STEM courses.
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
But is there really a teacher shortage? Or is there a shortage of adequate pay and respect from parents, students and the administration?
I think more of the latter than the former, since hiring unqualified people to teach means paying them less money than one would pay a fully-certified teacher with a Master's Degree in Education.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Governor Ron DeSantis said a marine with no education training can teach better than someone with an education degree.
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
I think more of the latter than the former, since hiring unqualified people to teach means paying them less money than one would pay a fully-certified teacher with a Master's Degree in Education.

Lemme guess, the one with less education is less likely to say gay.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:33 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Lemme guess, the one with less education is less likely to say gay.
Oh, no!  Did you not get the memo?

All colleges are hotbeds of secular liberalism where people are taught to BE gay!

:roll: That is sarcasm, folks!

Come to think of it . . . maybe that false belief is why DeSantis does not want anyone with a college degree to teach impressionable children.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 08 Aug 2022, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:34 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

National averages:

Elementary: $61,400
Jr. High: $61,320
High School: $61,820
Special Ed: $61,820
College Professors: $79,640

My aunt who worked as a special Ed teacher only made $40k and this was in 2007 Oregon

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:58 pm

Teachers tend to start off with a rather low salary-----but they get frequent raises subsequently until they get about 5 or so years experience.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 2:06 pm

The average teacher salary in my hometown is about $54,252; but the salary range typically falls between $45,370 and $66,130.  Salary ranges vary widely depending on factors like: teachers' education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years spent in the profession (e.g., seniority).

The median home cost in the same town is about $234,600 as of 2022-08-01.

The average salary for a person with a STEM degree is $87,502 (
 Source ), so why be a teacher?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 3:58 pm

I do think it's silly to require a masters to teach, that certainly doesn't help on the supply side.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:06 pm

The amount of pay that teachers receive can be deceiving. We tend to spend a lot of money out-of-pocket on supplies for the classroom, snacks, and essential stuff for the kids. This is especially the case in impoverished school districts like mine.

My school is desperate for teachers. They are taking people with a degree in whatever and then paying for their certification and master’s. In return, the teacher is contractually obligated to work for the school district for a certain number of years.

Most new teachers here are under-qualified.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
The average salary for a person with a STEM degree is $87,502 ( Source ), so why be a teacher?

The pay is certainly not enough, but I don’t think that people go into teaching for the money.