Trump takes the fifth at New York Deposition

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 7:51 pm

Trump repeatedly pleaded the Fifth in hours-long deposition for New York AG probe: Sources

Quote:
Donald Trump on Wednesday invoked his Fifth Amendment protection against testifying against himself during an hours-long deposition as part of the New York attorney general's civil investigation into his family real estate business.

The former president was seen arriving at the attorney general's office in New York City around 9 a.m. local time and left about six hours later.

A source with knowledge of the matter confirmed to ABC News that Trump declined to answer questions from investigators in the deposition and, the source said, it is unlikely he will return for any additional questions.

A spokesperson for Attorney General Letitia James declined to comment.

Sources said the only question Trump answered was when Kevin Wallace, a lawyer in James' office who has been leading the investigation, asked his name. Otherwise he invoked the Fifth each time.

In an emailed statement to reporters while he was in the deposition, Trump said, in part, "Under the advice of my counsel ... I declined to answer the questions under the rights and privileges afforded to every citizen under the United States Constitution."

His statement also included lengthy attacks on the James' investigation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:31 pm

No surprise.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 1:15 am

So, he finally got better lawyers?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 1:23 am

And he finally learned when to keep his mouth shut?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 3:03 am

Because he's guilty af, duh.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:07 am

goldfish21 wrote:

We aren't supposed to make such inferences when a criminal case is at issue.

Something I didn't know until some recent research was that in some situations a witness has to either consistently take the 5th, or forfeits the right to use it at all. I don't know if that rule applied here.

One also never knows if the potential self-incrimination relates to the actual case at issue, or some unidentified potential tangent.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:08 am

In the United States, people are innocent until proven guilty. However that seems to be one of the things that those who currently hold the most political power are trying to change.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:14 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Something I didn't know until some recent research was that in some situations a witness has to either consistently take the 5th, or forfeits the right to use it at all. I don't know if that rule applied here.

One also never knows if the potential self-incrimination relates to the actual case at issue, or some unidentified potential tangent.

Tangents definitely seem to be involved. Otherwise the FBI would have gone in and grabbed the boxes from where their mole told them they were, instead of turning the whole residence upside down to grab anything they could lay their hands on.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:45 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Tangents definitely seem to be involved. Otherwise the FBI would have gone in and grabbed the boxes from where their mole told them they were, instead of turning the whole residence upside down to grab anything they could lay their hands on.

I think the NY questioning was entirely separate from the issues in the Florida warrant. I believe the NY case is mostly a financial investigation, potential misrepresentation to lenders versus tax agencies and such, while the FBI appears to looking at potential mishandling of classified information.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:04 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Wrong.  Ideally, a court of law (e.g., judge, jury, et cetera) is not supposed to assume guilt from "taking the 5th".

In the Court of Public Opinion, however, few honest people are so willfully naïve.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:06 am

That's right.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:13 am

Fnord wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Wrong.  Ideally, a court of law (e.g., judge, jury, et cetera) is not supposed to assume guilt from "taking the 5th".

Claiming that people shouldn't make inferences or have opinions about a person's guilt sounds thought-crimey.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:15 am

In reality, it's inevitable that somebody "taking the Fifth" will lose credibility.

In theory, though, under conditions of absolute objectivity, one should not take the fact that the defendant "took the Fifth" into account at all when assessing the defendant's guilt.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:52 am

Former President Donald Trump's decision on Wednesday to invoke his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination comes four years after he said that's what mobsters do.

"You see, the mob takes the Fifth", he said in April 2018.  "If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?"

:roll: Trump is either confessing to being a mobster or he is an effing hypocrite!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In reality, it's inevitable that somebody "taking the Fifth" will lose credibility.

In theory, though, under conditions of absolute objectivity, one should not take the fact that the defendant "took the Fifth" into account at all when assessing the defendant's guilt.

As I understand it - a jury IS allowed take that lack of credibility resulting from an excessive number "I take the fifth" responses into account in a civil trial, but not in a criminal trial.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:07 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
In the United States, people are innocent until proven guilty. However that seems to be one of the things that those who currently hold the most political power are trying to change.

Yes, based on the years of investigations, court proceedings etc - they're totally jumping the gun and convicting him without due process. :roll: