F.B.I. Raids Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate

Page 9 of 67 [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 67  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:00 am

Dox47 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
I'd say that's spot on. I've seen a lot of sentiment of voting for whoever makes the left the most miserable. So if it's not Trump, it'll be DeSantis.

That's where I'm at, revenge is definitely a factor at this point. They won't leave me alone, so I'm going to pick whoever inflicts the most pain on them in return, even if I have to bend a few of my principles in the process.

I hope your frustration and need to retaliate with a vote won't take you to the point of voting for someone who will do their darn best to destroy our constitutional checks and balances and Democracy as we know it.

Are you referencing local policies that have had a detrimental effect on your businesses and quality of life when you mention "they won't leave me alone?"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:53 am

Anybody who votes for Trump as a “revenge” vote—is someone who doesn’t bother to use critical thinking skills.

It’s not precisely the same thing—but it’s akin to voting for Hitler in 1933 as a “revenge” vote in order to “stick it to the Jews” who the electorate thought was behind the failed Weimar Republic.

I’d take someone like Elizabeth Cheney, arch conservative—over any Trumpite idiot.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Anybody who votes for Trump as a “revenge” vote—is someone who doesn’t bother to use critical thinking skills.

It’s not precisely the same thing—but it’s akin to voting for Hitler in 1933 as a “revenge” vote in order to “stick it to the Jews” who the electorate thought was behind the failed Weimar Republic.

I’d take someone like Elizabeth Cheney, arch conservative—over any Trumpite idiot.

To those who aren't staunchly anti-trump, overall he wasn't that bad of a president. That's another big voter pool. Those who neither hate him to death, nor worship him.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:16 am

Trump was just some guy who liked to insult people and fire people via Twitter….

Twitterer in Chief.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:40 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

To those who aren't staunchly anti-trump, overall he wasn't that bad of a president. That's another big voter pool. Those who neither hate him to death, nor worship him.

How can anyone be anything but a very bad president when:

-Huge segments of their staff felt they had to quit because he was asking them to do things that violated their oath of office
-Military leaders had to band together in defiance of changes he was trying to make
-Turned thousands of civil service jobs into political appointments instead of merit based
-Refuses to recognize the results of an election that was held in accordance with our constitution
-Tries to override the vote certification process mandated by our constitution
-Holds secret (off the record) meetings with adversarial foreign leaders
-Has publicly stated he doesn't see a reason he couldn't just give himself a third term if he gets a second one
-Degraded the public's faith in our elections because he didn't want to lose, not because he had any real reason to doubt election integrity
-Refused to act when the capital was breached and the lives of the vice president and legislators were threatened

Those are just off the top of my head. I know there are more.

Legislation wise he wasn't that bad, even if I disliked most of what he "accomplished." It's the other stuff, the blatant disregard of our laws and process. And that was BEFORE he started a second term, during which he would have felt totally unrestrained by advisors trying to get him reelected.

I don't hate him. I used to find him entertaining when his sights were solely on marketing himself for financial gain. But he's a cancer to our government. OK, I realize he's more a symptom than a cause, but I'd rather you all pick a less destructive figurehead to fill the role.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:56 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Very astute observation.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 6:36 am

What If Republicans Are Right? - Noah Rothman for Commentary

Quote:
What if the Republican officials who jumped to cynical conclusions about the FBI’s execution of a search warrant targeting Donald Trump’s Florida residence are right? What if it turns out that the precedent-setting search of a former U.S. president’s effects was justified only by the suspicion that he had misbegotten government documents in his possession—a violation of statute that has not previously justified such extraordinary measures? What if the FBI expanded the terms of political engagement based on nothing more than speculation and partisanship, thereby opening a Pandora’s Box? What then?

These are questions that the former president’s opponents and supporters alike don’t seem to have thoroughly contemplated. Indeed, in the roughly 90 minutes it took Republicans to reach the worst possible conclusion about the FBI’s motives, these questions could not have been wholly explored. The opacity that has so far typified the Justice Department’s conduct indicates that federal law enforcement has been similarly incurious. So, let’s examine the possibilities.

First, if the GOP’s allegations prove entirely true, the Biden administration and the Democratic Party it represents will have set fire to any credibility they had as a responsible alternative to what they insist is the Trumpified GOP’s malicious and persecutory governance. That is, whatever credibility was left, given the efforts by Democratic campaign apparatuses to lend financial support for the Trumpified GOP’s most aggressive elements.

If the Democratic Party has any sense of constitutionalist propriety left, it will commit to reimposing restraint on federal law enforcement. That would be a byproduct of holding accountable those responsible. Even if Republican criticisms are wholly unfounded, the first step toward proving that would be to make public the warrant and its predicates—at least, whatever does not jeopardize an ongoing investigation. Someone must explain why these documents were so imperiled by being in Trump’s custody that they couldn’t be subject to subpoena.

If the probable cause justifies this extraordinary intervention in ways that were not satisfied by similar violations of similar statutes by other federal officials accused of improperly handling government documents, it would put Republicans on the defensive. At the very least, those who are capable of being persuaded would have reason to quietly doubt the allegation that we now live in a “banana republic,” in which the rule of law is subordinated to the will of the powerful.

If the Biden administration cannot do this, or if the DOJ has behaved as recklessly as its Republican critics allege, then amends must be made. Careers should be on the line. Resignations must be tendered. Anything less would invite what the Republican Party is all but promising will follow their return to power: the reciprocal treatment of former Democratic officeholders in pursuit of little more than retaliation.

But nor have Republicans fully internalized the consequences of their behavior over the last several hours.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis insisted. “Now the Regime is getting another 87k IRS agents to wield against its adversaries? Banana Republic.”

Beyond the crass agitation, this sort of talk is unbearably short-sighted. The officeholders taking a hatchet to the foundational legitimacy of America’s governing institutions are also seeking to assume command over those institutions. It will be their Justice Department one day, their Internal Revenue Service. They will one day inherit the mechanisms of self-government they are disparaging as the organs of something akin to a junta, bereft of democratic legitimacy and unworthy of allegiance or fealty.

What’s the long game here? It can’t be the preservation of republican propriety and the jealous stewardship of institutional legitimacy. It can only be the short-term pursuit of political advantage. But political advantage is a fleeting thing, and voters are fickle. Even entertaining the establishment of a norm that views political retribution as just another feature of cyclical governance cannot end well for the world’s longest-lived constitutional republic.

At the very least, Republicans who have deployed the language we once reserved for politburos and despots have learned nothing from the assault on the Capitol Building.

We’re left to conclude that almost no one in the political arena has thought beyond the news cycle and the personal advantages it might bestow on them. I’d say we deserve better from our elected officials. But perhaps we don’t.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 6:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Making that predictable parallel between conservatives and nazis I see. Nothing new here.
Oh well, coming from the left I always take it as a heartfelt compliment.
Press on...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 6:55 am

I’m talking about authoritarianism in general. It doesn’t have to be specifically of a Nazi stripe.

I used the German 1933 election as an example of an instance where millions of people failed to use their critical thinking skills.

I’m not equating Trumpism with Nazism— though some of his supporters are neo-Nazis.

And don’t assume I’m a leftist—because I am not one. I’m a registered Independent.

Elizabeth Cheney is too conservative for me—but at least she has critical thinking skills. She realizes the fulsome character of the moral decay of Trumpism.

I have nothing against some conservatives. I wouldn’t have batted an eye if McCain became President. Trump was a total as*hole when he called him a coward. That’s one of many reasons why the military thinks he’s a douchebag.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:14 am

Speaking of nazi and banana republic parallels, I've been reading how the mole lead agents directly to where the documents were stored in a basement. So once again, why did they go through the entire residence? Why did they break into Trump's safe when what they were supposed to get wasn't in the safe? Why did they go through his wife's belongings etc?

For those who all of this didn't look like a witch hunt before, it does now. Note that I'm not saying it is a witch hunt, just that it totally looks like a witch hunt.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:32 am

I just don’t feel autistic people would thrive under a Trump presidency.

He would throw them under the bus, and tell the driver to roll over them.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:32 am

Raptor wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Making that predictable parallel between conservatives and nazis I see. Nothing new here.
Oh well, coming from the left I always take it as a heartfelt compliment.
Press on...

I've been practicing my goosestep.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I just don’t feel autistic people would thrive under a Trump presidency.

I did just fine under it. 2019 was a great year for me financially. What personal horrors did you experience?
kraftiekortie wrote:
He would throw them under the bus, and tell the driver to roll over them.

Oh BS. This is why I don't plug into left-wing media.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:46 am

I'm talking more about the potential for disaster should Trump do something like----get rid of SSI. If Trump had a choice, he would get rid of most "entitlement programs." Leaving people on "benefits" totally in the lurch. People who are on "benefits" for a good reason, most of the time. Sure, you have some slackers----but most, if they had their druthers, would not be on "benefits."

I've been doing all right for a long time. I was smart enough to get a civil service job when I was 19.

Trump is only for people who he feels are high up on the totem pole. And only people who say "yes" to him at every turn.

He's put some very faithful people (to him) under the bus.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm talking more about the potential for disaster should Trump do something like----get rid of SSI. If Trump had a choice, he would get rid of most "entitlement programs." Leaving people on "benefits" totally in the lurch. People who are on "benefits" for a good reason, most of the time. Sure, you have some slackers----but most, if they had their druthers, would not be on "benefits."

I've been doing all right for a long time. I was smart enough to get a civil service job when I was 19.

Trump is only for people who he feels are high up on the totem pole. And only people who say "yes" to him at every turn.

He's put some very faithful people (to him) under the bus.

What did he actually do to put us at risk? There's a dividing line between scary bedtime stories told by left-wing media, and the reality of what actually did and did not take place during the Trump presidency.

What Trump would do is cut off SSI/SSDI and welfare to scamers and illegal aliens.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 11 Aug 2022, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:05 am

I don't happen to read "left-wing media." I don't form opinions based on it. I form them based on a composite of various media sources.

I prefer to read neutral news sources. Reuters is one of my favorites. I also read Fox News sometimes. I don't rely on CNN/MSNBC. In NYC, the Post is the conservative paper, and the Daily News is the liberal paper.

I wish we would come back to the times when journalism was relatively objective.