Legal shrooms in Canada could make waves in US

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 5:36 am

I think Mormon places in Utah might have had alcohol restrictions until recently. I remember in the film SLC Punk! the punks from Salt Lake City were driving far away to buy normal alcohol beer for their parties, as the beer sold back home was low alcohol. Upon looking it up it seems that long-standing restriction was lifted in 2020.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 5:40 am

r00tb33r wrote:
I think Mormon places in Utah might have had alcohol restrictions until recently. I remember in the film SLC Punk! the punks from Salt Lake City were driving far away to buy normal alcohol beer for their parties, as the beer sold back home was low alcohol. Upon looking it up it seems that long-standing restriction was lifted in 2020.

So are there signs?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 6:39 am

There are still “dry” counties in the South and Alaska where alcohol sales are prohibited or severely restricted.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 6:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are still “dry” counties in the South and Alaska where alcohol sales are prohibited or severely restricted.

That's rather cruel to do that to Alaskans...no warm brandy?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 2:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That's rather cruel to do that to Alaskans...no warm brandy?

I assume it's done more because alcoholism and drug abuse has been so bad amongst indigenous populations that the locals have enacted laws to keep drugs and alcohol out as much as possible and to penalize those who smuggle it in to sell to addicts as much as possible. Desperate times call for desperate measures.. when people that are highly susceptible to alcoholism and drug addiction way up North in complete isolation and darkness are preyed upon by drug dealers.. ya kinda gotta decide whether it's all or nothing & enact a Nothing law and enforce it in order to have a hope in hell of the population healing.

Someone should send them some spores & growing supplies. Zoomies would help stave off addictions to harmful substances.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 3:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Wait! Americans and Canadians have dry zones?? WTF!

I thought prohibition ended back in the 1920s?

Technically you could say it never really ended in America in some areas.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 3:51 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Technically you could say it never really ended in America in some areas.

My dad said when he went to the Jack Daniel's distillery that it's in a dry county. Irony.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 4:00 pm

I really couldn't care less. I don't understand why anyone would take substances to make the world look weird when the world is so weird now people take medication just to make it look normal.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 4:04 pm

I don't understand why someone would bother opening a thread on a topic that's of no interest to them just to comment on how they they don't understand how it could matter to anyone.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 4:30 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

I think Utah may be the most strict state when it comes to booze or at least thats what I read.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 4:36 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I really couldn't care less. I don't understand why anyone would take substances to make the world look weird when the world is so weird now people take medication just to make it look normal.

That’s a very VERY narrow view of what psilocybin does.

It’s not simply about visual perception. Sure, there are other sensory alterations - audio distortions/amplifications, potential synesthesia etc But it’s also largely about thoughts, thought processes, mood and mindset.

For some it’s about treating/avoiding cluster headaches, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, addictions etc.

They tend to have a lasting afterglow effect of mood elevation.

It’s a lot more than pretty colours.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 10:38 pm

Drug and alcohol laws are weird in America.I remember I was in Oklahoma and I got carded when I bought some sort of soda at a gas station.Also caffeine is a big controversy in Utah.I remember watching a mini documentary and apparently they have some sort of soft drink chains as a subsitute for Starbucks because of all the Mormons.And my dad could of been a felon in Texas for having CBD from Colorado in the car.the old sheriff in my county said CBD oil is a stadte jail felony if there is any trace of THC.You would lose your voting rights because of CBD in that case.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 12:10 am

Meanwhile anything under 2.5g of ANYTHING just got decriminalized here in Vancouver, BC.

Cops & gov’t finally acknowledged it’s a waste of time and money to criminalize addiction. All of this is well on the path to full legalization and regulated retail of narcotics and all other classes of recreational drugs.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 4:47 am

cyberdad wrote:

Ya to top it off we even have a third party called the Prohibition Party which used to be quite a big deal here but still exists today that a few people vote for in elections.But Prohibition formally ended in the 30's.A big part of it was that they wanted to use booze to get people to spend money during the Great Depression.There's a city in Texas thats named Lubbock that was once called the driest city outside of Saudi Arabia.Like half of the state of Arkansas is dry.I wish I was making this up but I am not.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 11:37 am

Zoom zoom zooms - some people I know that have worked in the drug industry say there's no real money in shrooms because they're not addictive and don't have regular repeat customers like other recreational drugs. But, IMO, there's still a viable business for people selling psychedelics.. even if people do them every few months, when a lot of people do them, that's a lot of zoomies or whatever other substance. Plus there are businesses setting up as sort of "zen spa," type environments for people to go have a very comfortable trip with soft lights, music, and trained trip sitters/trip guides who might talk people through the experience etc. Heck, some of those companies are publicly traded already.

I know a bunch of people that sell shrooms/mushroom chocolates at the beach. Some of them do quite well. Some of them supply dispensaries and sell via websites, too, where prices are far higher than at the beach.. and even at the beach, the gross margin in a 1g chocolate is Very Good. Product cost is somewhere around $2-ish depending on volume/processing labour etc and they retail for $10 on the beach and up to $30 on the internet. One girl I talked to yesterday told me she sold $2K worth of chocolates on Saturday. And she's one of many sellers and the beach wasn't even super busy. But obvi that's at One beach and only during ideal weather on weekends during our short Summer, so not exactly constant year round demand. But still - that's amazing for a little sideline thing.

Interest is growing in all psychedelics, too. Especially with Dana Larsen's shroom/lsd/DMT etc dispensary pushing for legalization.. and just the general public vibe and interest in psychedelics for mental health and well being + medical research being conducted. Even if there isn't "cocaine money," to be made, there's still ever growing interest in psychs for medicinal and recreational use and there will be plenty of successful businesses built on it. I mean, women only use tampons/pads for a handful of days a month but metric tonnes of those things get made & sold. Plus on the zoomies end of things.. chocolate companies like our local Purdy's, that makes REALLY GOOD chocolates, that barely hung on by a thread through covid, can turn to producing significantly more profitable chocolates to keep their business going. IMO, someone in the fungi biz here ought to partner with them when legalization drops.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 11:58 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Before legalising shrooms first release the thousands of victims of the war on drugs who were arrested and imprisoned for using marijuana

It's utter madness when judges incarcerate marijuana users

I agree but its even worse because in one of the places I live selling beer is a crime.

Do you need a liquor licence?

Its not that but in many areas i have been there are no alcohol sales because its a crime.Like in the county next to me it was a crime to have a Coors Light even if you were adult.You generally do need a liquor license to sell it but there are many areas where alcohol is banned.Like I remember watching a newstory and you could go to jail if you were traveling through MS and you were pulled over with a 30 pack even you were over 21.

This is true.

My headlights broke when I was driving through Utah on my way to Las Vegas and I was chatting with some guy at a gas station and he asked what I had in the car.. told him 12 dozen different Canadian beers, wheels/tires, camping gear etc. He said not to tell anyone about the beer - as I was in a dry county and it's illegal to even transport beer through there!

So crazy that counties can have prohibition era laws like that. Wtf? So weird that you can buy alcohol in one part of the state or country and then just driving through another part with it is a crime.

Texas has 6 dry counties (Roberts, Martin, Borden, Throckmorton, Hemphill and Kent)

About half of Arkansas is dry, and large parts of Alabama are dry.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!