Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 10:14 am

cyberdad wrote:

4 years of Trump
2016 - 63 million
2020 - 75 million

That looks a mind virus

Or, a candidate improving on his prior performance because people liked the job he did

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 12:19 pm

And he's walking it back, lol. Major optics fail, if nothing else.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:49 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

4 years of Trump
2016 - 63 million
2020 - 75 million

That looks a mind virus

Or, a candidate improving on his prior performance because people liked the job he did

Oh, I think you'll find that mental health experts (including his own niece who is a clinical psychologist) classify his following as a cult
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... loyalists/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 6:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Raptor wrote:
/\ He has no experience as a politician anymore than I do. He’s not wired as one so his methods may come off as uncouth.

He is not a politician idea is dated, he has 7 years experience.

His political skills are a mixed bag, but not any old mixed bag it is either extreme incompetence or genius. He identified a loyal base that all the experts missed. Seven years into this he still has opponents wondering how he does it. He has a tremendous skill of manipulating opponents emotions so they make the same mistake over and over and again. Any other politician under such continuous multifaceted attempts to take him down would have been taken down a loooong time ago.

While getting out from seemingly endless “this is it” crises is genius, these “this is it” situations largely of his own doing. He keeps on handing opponents powerful weapons that he finds ways of getting out of.

And the truth is, Trump is an uncouth, vulgar individual, despite having been born into money. He had always yearned to be part of the Manhattan business and cultural elite, but they never regarded him as anything but a crass, criminally inclined carnival barker, and he's always been envious and resentful of them for it. The only people Trump's ever appealed to have been the MAGA crowd, who proudly flaunt their Deplorable credentials with their bigotry, their envy, and their cruelty, because he mirrors their every flaw, even though he personally holds them in contempt and disgust.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 6:27 pm

I grew up with people like Trump. I know that sort of character pretty well.

They never outgrow their schoolyard bully proclivities.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 6:59 pm

Joe Biden: My opponent and his supporters are dangerous authoritarian fascists!"

Him saying it:

It's almost too on the nose. My personal theory is that they told the stage designer that the theme was "American fascism", and by the time they discovered the miscommunication it was too late.

Remember that time Trump gave a speech from the White House balcony and people compared him to Mussolini? Where did they all go?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 7:28 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Joe Biden: My opponent and his supporters are dangerous authoritarian fascists!"

Him saying it:

It's almost too on the nose. My personal theory is that they told the stage designer that the theme was "American fascism", and by the time they discovered the miscommunication it was too late.

Remember that time Trump gave a speech from the White House balcony and people compared him to Mussolini? Where did they all go?

The only thing missing was Biden wearing an armband.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 7:30 pm

If Biden had incited a crowd into storming the Capitol building, called up a Georgia election official searching for 12,000 or so votes, and labeled all the media "the enemy of the people," I would feel the same way about Biden as I do about Trump.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 7:42 pm

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 8:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Actually he was probably being diplomatic :lol:

I would have added a lot more

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 9:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I would have added a lot more

Lies? Embellishments? Claims you can't back up and then pretend you didn't actually make? Links that don't prove what you say they do or even have any relevance? Words put in other peoples' mouths? I could also add a lot more.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 9:28 pm

I've been sitting back on this one, but have to say the content of the speech makes me uncomfortable. And if it makes me uncomfortable, it is likely backfiring. So. That is a concern.

I feel there is true authoritarian threat in far right politics right now, and that Trump has the ability to ride that to the negative destruction of our government and constitution. I can understand wanting that warning to get out there. But was this speech the way to talk about it? It's not feeling like it was.

Biden can be tone deaf, and this is an extremely sensitive topic to risk making a mistake with. All the research in the world won't tell a politician how to present an issue like this; either the instinct is there, or it isn't.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 10:37 pm

The threat is more than existential. The overturn of Roe saw to that.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 11:21 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I've been sitting back on this one, but have to say the content of the speech makes me uncomfortable. And if it makes me uncomfortable, it is likely backfiring. So. That is a concern.

What, you don't think the president declaring his closest political rival (whose home his justice department recently raided) and his supporters to be dangerous fascists from a weirdly nationalist/militarist stage with armed Marines used as props is a good look?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 11:23 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
All the research in the world won't tell a politician how to present an issue like this; either the instinct is there, or it isn't.

How hard is "don't look like an alternate history movie villain" as a political principle?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 11:31 pm

It's now a cliche observation, but it really does seem like someone tried to make the Dark Brandon thing happen IRL.