Johnny Depp Vs Amber Heard verdict discussion

Page 1 of 15 [ 225 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 7:03 am

Thread created to discuss the verdict returned, as discussion regarding the actual trial is no longer welcome on the site.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:06 am

One extra thing I took note of is while Depp was awarded $10.35 million, I heard his legal fees come out to $5 million. And then the $2 million to Heard. Leaving him with a paltry $3.35 million.

Also I find it ironic that the $2 million he has to fork over to Heard will essentially come from her.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:15 am

so is heard being financially harmed at all?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:19 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
One extra thing I took note of is while Depp was awarded $10.35 million, I heard his legal fees come out to $5 million. And then the $2 million to Heard. Leaving him with a paltry $3.35 million.

Also I find it ironic that the $2 million he has to fork over to Heard will essentially come from her.

From what I have been able to find, it appears that Virginia doesn't allow the recovery of costs by the prevailing party, but it is likely that on Mr Depp's part, this was more about getting his "good name" back, rather than the money.

This may be fortunate, given one of her attorneys (Elaine) stated publicly that Ms Heard couldn't afford to pay a $10.4 million dollar judgement during an interview on NBC.

As mentioned in the video I posted, she may not have to pay the full amount, depending on what is agreed between the parties - There could simply be an agreement that she is not permitted to discuss\mention\etc. certain subjects related to the case and what she had previously alleged.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:21 am

auntblabby wrote:

She was awarded $2 million, had $10.35 million awarded against her, so is down $8.35 million.

Her lawyer on "Today" on NBC stated she couldn't afford to pay, either.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:21 am

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:22 am

well, although i am not a fan of hers, i hope for her sake she has well-hidden trust accounts and other legal financial chicanery on her side.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:24 am

Brictoria wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

She was awarded $2 million, had $10.35 million awarded against her, so is down $8.35 million.

She also amassed $3 million in legal fees. So it seems she's in way over her head.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:27 am

Maybe Elon Musk will bail her out.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 9:05 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

She also amassed $3 million in legal fees. So it seems she's in way over her head.

Maybe she'll simply "donate" the money to them :P

I hope her lawers had a signed contract and weren't doing the case on a contingency basis.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Jun 2022, 9:45 am

As said in the previous thread, an utterly awful decision that seems likely to be overturned on appeal.

Firstly it is completely bizarre that a trial related to domestic abuse was televised. That just shouldn’t be done for such sensitive trials. We need to protect victims, not expose them to mass scrutiny.

We’ve seen the internet discussion of the topic utterly dominated by misogynists. The jury was not sequestered. Lots of completely false representations of Heard have gone viral. Given that judges have already determined that Depp beat Heard, it seems the most likely explanation is that the jury were influenced by that online misogyny, as well as some people who just have a blind spot when it comes to Depp (who after all is extremely charismatic).

It’s very important that we allow victims of domestic abuse to speak out about the abuse they have suffered. Depp of course will still be shunned by polite society, anyone who gets involved with him will know about his history of violence, but what about the next powerful person who abuses their partner? Unfortunately even if justice does eventually prevail, which hopefully it will, this will have a chilling effect upon free speech generally.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 9:52 am

Brictoria wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Maybe she'll simply "donate" the money to them :P

I hope her lawers had a signed contract and weren't doing the case on a contingency basis.

There's always go-fund-me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 10:00 am

The_Walrus wrote:
It’s very important that we allow victims of domestic abuse to speak out about the abuse they have suffered.
This is important only if and when such violence and suffering has not been staged and has actually occurred.

The civil suit was brought on not because Ms. Heard spoke out, but because she slandered Mr. Depp while doing so.

(For some people, it is not enough to win a divorce case; they seem to have the deep-seated need to slander and ruin the reputations, careers, and lives of the people they have divorced.)

She still has her Free Speech rights, as they are inviolable.  Most of what has been brought home to her is that she should be truthful when speaking about others, that she should at least have irrefutable evidence that what she says about someone else is true, or both.

The rest is mere accounting.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 10:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmmZcKef2I

WTF is this all about? That pout and snarky smile when she hands the pen back...........

Before filing a defamation claim which is false, it helps to know whether you're convincing to other people and not only oneself. Is every facet of her life completely encompassed and swallowed by the need to put on a public spectacle with the intent to shamelessly look posh?

Everything is just posing to her..............everything

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 11:38 am

Nades wrote:

WTF is this all about? That pout and snarky smile when she hands the pen back...........

Before filing a defamation claim which is false, it helps to know whether you're convincing to other people and not only oneself. Is every facet of her life completely encompassed and swallowed by the need to put on a public spectacle with the intent to shamelessly look posh?

These viewers' comments are priceless!

• "She's writing down every truthful thing she's said during this whole case."

• "If she's this manipulative in the courtroom, just imagine at home."

• "Imagine being her lawyer and seeing her do that. They HAVE to know how crazy she is."

• "Her fake writing is the best acting she's ever done."

• "The fact that she does that so brazenly in front of her lawyer is staggering. Absolutely no shame."

• "The lawyer next to her looked utterly confused. Now imagine the person on the receiving end of these 'notes'."

• "Everything about this trial with her, is theater. She's even pretending to be taking notes, so she can be perceived as such. She's something else, man."

• "I kept telling my partner there was no way she needs to take this many notes. It always looks like she's scribbling random things just to look like she's actually finding errors in the case. This is so humiliating for her."

• "That's her defense mechanism. I caught that a long time ago. That's her actually feeling uncomfortable and trying to escape anyway she knows how by acting like she's actually doing some thing right but really she's already exposed so she can't hide anymore."

• "She's writing down all the times she got abused."

:lol:

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 11:52 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:

The viewers' comments are priceless!

• "She's writing down every truthful thing she's said during this whole case."

• "If she's this manipulative in the courtroom, just imagine at home."

• "Imagine being her lawyer and seeing her do that. They HAVE to know how crazy she is."

• "Her fake writing is the best acting she's ever done."

• "The fact that she does that so brazenly in front of her lawyer is staggering. Absolutely no shame."

• "The lawyer next to her looked utterly confused. Now imagine the person on the receiving end of these 'notes'."

• "Everything about this trial with her, is theater. She's even pretending to be taking notes, so she can be perceived as such. She's something else, man."

• "I kept telling my partner there was no way she needs to take this many notes. It always looks like she's scribbling random things just to look like she's actually finding errors in the case. This is so humiliating for her."

• "That's her defense mechanism. I caught that a long time ago. That's her actually feeling uncomfortable and trying to escape anyway she knows how by acting like she's actually doing some thing right but really she's already exposed so she can't hide anymore."

• "She's writing down all the times she got abused."

:lol:

All those comments are absolutely true.

She's a woman not to be trusted both past, present and future.

It was an utterly brazen and shameless display of what she thought the court process was even thought she knew the cameras were all on her. It was all a chance to pose Infront of the cameras in her mind.

Just how stupid can she possibly be to take fake notes knowing the entire western world is watching her.