Page 11 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Sep 2022, 10:36 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
(...) honestly I focus more on the fact that she seemed like a very strong matriarch to her family. And England seems like it's always been known for having strong women lead their country like past Queens such as Victoria and Elizabeth I to Prime Ministers like Margaret Thatcher.

And now they have a new female prime minister Liz Truss which I think is pretty neat. :D
QE II was respected and revered the world over for her wisdom, unimpeachable integrity and statesmanship.
For the UK she was, at least in her later years, the "national granny" and her loss is almost as familial as losing an actual granny. Most people have never known any other monarch.

As for Liz Truss; well, it's great that a woman is able to take on such a position - just not this one.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 10:41 am

Cornflake wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
(...) honestly I focus more on the fact that she seemed like a very strong matriarch to her family. And England seems like it's always been known for having strong women lead their country like past Queens such as Victoria and Elizabeth I to Prime Ministers like Margaret Thatcher.

And now they have a new female prime minister Liz Truss which I think is pretty neat. :D
QE II was respected and revered the world over for her wisdom, unimpeachable integrity and statesmanship.
For the UK she was, at least in her later years, the "national granny" and her loss is almost as familial as losing an actual granny. Most people have never known any other monarch.

As for Liz Truss; well, it's great that a woman is able to take on such a position - just not this one.

I'm still hoping that my country will one day have its first female president in my lifetime, just as long as it's not Kamala Harris. I just have a bad feeling about her, and I would have much preferred somebody like Stacey Abrams as Biden's VP but I think she feels that she can do the most good helping Georgia.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 11:52 am

God couldn't save the queen.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:13 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
I think that's an incorrect diagnosis because when I looked up images for peripheral cyanosis they showed discoloration of the fingertips. More likely it was a condition called senile purpura.
This seems more likely - my father was prone to the same alarming discoloration shortly before he died at 94; his skin looked paper-thin and was very easily bruised. Many elderly people are prone to the same thing, especially at 90+
Plus, the Daily Express tends to be sensationalist

That’s what I was thinking, elderly people do bruise easily and it takes a long time to heal.
Also if she had blood work done and they couldn’t find a vein in the arm they use the hand.Happens to me.Once a nurse kept trying to get blood out of my arm and left a nasty looking bruised discoloration from all the jabbing.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 2:23 pm

Was in London this afternoon, quite close to Buckingham Palace but did not go to visit. streets were packed with people holding flowers walking towards the palace

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

11 Sep 2022, 2:37 pm

The Queen is saved at last.

Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 3:02 pm

It's amazing how people forget that Britain was a major force in defeating the Nazis in WW2. It would be good if they remembered that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 5:11 pm

KitLily wrote:
It's amazing how people forget that Britain was a major force in defeating the Nazis in WW2. It would be good if they remembered that.

I think what deathflowerking is referring to is the legacy of the institution that QEII was the head of which for many who live in countries once part of the British empire don't have great memories.

The Royal family presided over the British imperial empire which exploited millions and ovcersaw the wholesale plundering of the wealth of kingdoms that had existed for thousands of years. Churchill is venerated in the UK for his leadership in WWII but in India he was partly responsible for millions starving to death in the famine of Bengal.

Having said that many of the people who live in English speaking former British colonies collectively do respect the crown, In Australia we have a day of mourning for the Queen next week. This is unprecedented in my memory and never happened before for any Australian leader.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 5:48 pm

Truly a Sad day in history . The known world will miss her . Greatest Sympathies to the Royal Family and all affected
And those acknowledging , Her life time.

where ever you go ,there you are

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 6:46 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
I think that's an incorrect diagnosis because when I looked up images for peripheral cyanosis they showed discoloration of the fingertips. More likely it was a condition called senile purpura.
This seems more likely - my father was prone to the same alarming discoloration shortly before he died at 94; his skin looked paper-thin and was very easily bruised. Many elderly people are prone to the same thing, especially at 90+
Plus, the Daily Express tends to be sensationalist

That’s what I was thinking, elderly people do bruise easily and it takes a long time to heal.
Also if she had blood work done and they couldn’t find a vein in the arm they use the hand.Happens to me.Once a nurse kept trying to get blood out of my arm and left a nasty looking bruised discoloration from all the jabbing.

I'm also thinking when elderly bruise from under caregivers care, my assumption is this is unintentional because they bruise easily, not because their caretakers are beating them and squeezing them. Plus they're untrained in dealing with them. They bruise easily because they have very thin skin and because they don't have body fat there for cushioning.

I'm in my 30s and I bruise easily too but this could he due to medical issue or I am low in iron or potassium and because I am skin and bone in areas of my body. I just have to be more careful and not stumble and bump into things and pay more attention to my body and where I am going and not press my body on hard surfaces. But I dont get dark blotches like the elderly do.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 7:23 pm

I was covered in bright red petechiae and purpura for several months.
It was from vasculitis.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 8:10 pm

KitLily wrote:

Since today is the anniversary of 9/11 it is worth noting that how British handled the Blitz was an inspiration during that time.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 2:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I think what deathflowerking is referring to is the legacy of the institution that QEII was the head of which for many who live in countries once part of the British empire don't have great memories.

The Royal family presided over the British imperial empire which exploited millions and ovcersaw the wholesale plundering of the wealth of kingdoms that had existed for thousands of years. Churchill is venerated in the UK for his leadership in WWII but in India he was partly responsible for millions starving to death in the famine of Bengal.

Having said that many of the people who live in English speaking former British colonies collectively do respect the crown, In Australia we have a day of mourning for the Queen next week. This is unprecedented in my memory and never happened before for any Australian leader.

Also if you travelled in Europe after WW2 and for decades afterwards, Europeans are extremely grateful to Brits for defending them in that war. I suppose now time has passed, the older ones have died out, but I have many surprising memories of Europeans making a fuss of me and my family while on holiday there, simply because we are English and our ancestors helped theirs. I've heard of other people experiencing this too.

Such experiences have been very humbling. I'm happy to tell you about them if you like.

I'm not denying what the British Empire did, and I think reparations should be made, countries should remove the British monarch as head of state and become republics if they want to.

But what if we hadn't stepped up in WW2? It doesn't bear thinking about. And people forget: Britain has been invaded lots of times since 75BC or so. We've also been ruled by foreign invaders who slaughtered the native people e.g. Romans, Anglo Saxons (who systematically wiped out most of the native Britons), Norse, Normans etc. The monarchs of England didn't even speak English and weren't born in England from 1066 to the 15th century.

Do those not count because it was so long ago? I'm genuinely curious.

Recently Italy apologised to Britain for the Roman invasion. Rather late, but they did :lol:

I'm also interested in what people think of the Spanish, who gutted South America. Are they hated and reviled? I don't know.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 3:08 am

KitLily wrote:
Recently Italy apologised to Britain for the Roman invasion. Rather late, but they did :lol:

seriously?! :lol:

Never heard that. its crackers.

I demand the Normans apologise for shooting my king in the eye with a pointy stick!!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 3:28 am

Biscuitman wrote:
KitLily wrote:

seriously?! :lol:

Never heard that. its crackers.

I demand the Normans apologise for shooting my king in the eye with a pointy stick!!

I think the paleolithic builders of stonehenge were completely wiped out by the bronze age Beaker people who were themselves sacked by the iron wielding celts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 3:32 am

KitLily wrote:
Also if you travelled in Europe after WW2 and for decades afterwards, Europeans are extremely grateful to Brits for defending them in that war. I suppose now time has passed, the older ones have died out, but I have many surprising memories of Europeans making a fuss of me and my family while on holiday there, simply because we are English and our ancestors helped theirs. I've heard of other people experiencing this too.

Yes I tend to take the big picture view that I would be "sprechen die deutch" had Churchill not overcome Hitler. I've posted before that the modern English don't appreciate their own struggles in their past and the antiquity of their culture and that's not just restricted the Britain. it includes the lands of Northern France all the way to north sea peoples of Scandinavia.