Page 14 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 6:17 am

Biscuitman wrote:
The reason northern Europe were more advanced than other parts of the world, and was able to expand into empires, is because of the fertile soil, varying seasons, flat ground with an abundance of waterways that ran for many miles (making transport easy). Britain was a much sought after prize for that reason, and as such has had many invaders over its lifetime

This advancement of northern Europe was relatively recent as the European renaissance started in southern Europe and northern Europe only began advancing in the latter half of the renaissance. It was not until the 18th/19th century that Northern European kingdoms began to be imitated by the Russian Czars and Japanese emperors and when expansion into the Americas, Asia and Africa began in earnest. The earlier period between 15th-16th century was dominated by the Spanish and Portuguese.

Last edited by cyberdad on 14 Sep 2022, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 6:20 am

KitLily wrote:
Yes we are a real mixing pot of different nationalities because, as I said, we have been invaded soooooo many times, and the invaders tended to like Britain so much, they stayed.

This is why it's SO STUPID of these English nationalists to go on about 'pure British white people' and 'keep foreigners out'. We're all foreigners FFS. There's no such thing as 'pure English'!

If you research the etymology of English words, a large percentage of them are actually French. For example, the majority of words beginning with 're' and/or ending in 'age'.

Such as the words I underlined above are all French.

Agree with all of this. But I am still interested in how things transpired chronologically. I'm a big fan of the archaeologists on the Time Team as they dig up new and exciting finds often under the foundations of existing buildings and farms.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 6:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Red hair is very native and very Celtic. Not a norse trait. Scandnavians are lower precent red heads than British Isles folks. Im mostly German American, and I was born blonde and got dark haired. So thats probably a mainland Germanic trait. Being blonde your whole life is probably a Norse trait.

Many northern Spanish people also start out blond and get darker haired. I believe there are some Celtic regions of northern Spain, can't remember exactly what. Maybe Galicia and Asturias? I was surprised to see that when I visited Spain. The darker Spaniards are in the south where the Moors invaded.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 6:33 am

I believe at least part of northern Spain is inhabited by Basques, who speak a non-Indo-European language.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 6:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
Agree with all of this. But I am still interested in how things transpired chronologically. I'm a big fan of the archaeologists on the Time Team as they dig up new and exciting finds often under the foundations of existing buildings and farms.

Yes, I often think we should dig up all of Britain to find it all out! haha. Most of it is Roman though, it's unusual when we find anything Saxon or otherwise.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 6:49 am

It's really interesting that Russia was named after the Kievan Rus, who seemed to be Norse in origin but settled in that area for some reason. Maybe Scandinavia was too inhospitable and distant?

If you've read the 10th century account of the Arabic traveller Ibn Fadlan, he actually met a tribe of Rus people and describes them and their activities in great detail. It is fascinating, shocking and in some places, a little funny with his attitude towards their habits. It's one of the very few eye witness accounts of meeting Norsemen, it is thought to be true because he had no reason to lie about it.

They used his account in the film The Thirteenth Warrior, which I absolutely love, even though they merged it with Beowulf. A cult classic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 7:12 am

The Norse were extremely inclined towards “spreading themselves out”—and they certainly did! From Greenland to deep, European Russia. They even established a slight foothold in very eastern North America, though a government there wasn’t really organized.

I believe it’s a matter of relatively little arable land, mostly.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 10:45 am

KitLily wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
England is still more Celtic than Anglo though, genetically speaking. The most Germanic parts of England were what fell under Danelaw. The extent to which Germanics replaced Celts was greatly overemphasized because Victorian era English wanted to feel racially superior to Scots, Welsh and Irish.

The thing is though, more and more British people are getting their DNA tested now, and I've read that it's been shocking geneticists to find out exactly how much of Britain is Anglo Saxon/Norse. They'd assumed there would be more Briton/Celtic DNA but it's been pushed back to the fringes of Cornwall, Wales, Scotland. I presume Ireland is mostly Celtic/Briton. And of course Norsemen invaded Scotland and Ireland, so that added their DNA to those places e.g. Scotland has the highest percentage of red haired people- where did that come from? Apparently Scandinavia. It's not a native British trait.

But Norse DNA has been found in every corner of the UK, there is evidence to show that the inhabitants of Britain grew to like the Norse invaders and there was a lot of intermarrying, so their descendants are everywhere.

There is also a theory that Anglo Saxons deliberately wiped out the native population by not allowing the natives to marry. Every marriage had to involve an Anglo Saxon. People are wondering if in fact the AS were more aggressive than the Norse and the Normans. But it is difficult to prove this theory for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, have you noticed how most British children start out blond, but their hair darkens as they get older? Apparently that is a Celtic trait, so there's that as well.

This is pretty interesting isn't it! I love talking about genetics.

I wouldn't call the idea that "every marriage had to involve an Anglo Saxon" a theory since there's literally nothing to base it on. It's baseless speculation at best. While the study points to a few differences in legal codes they don't prove how broadly those laws would actually be applied, or if they go deeper than what's actually documented.

It's unlikely those sorts of laws would have any validity in Hen Ogledd or other British polities so it's unreasonable to insist that all of what's now England would have been impacted.

This video covers a more viable explanation and links to supporting sources.

Since genetics doesn't indicate replacement of the people, replacement of their culture due to social prestige seems more likely as an explanation. It's the same pressure that forces Quebec to fight so hard to maintain their language today, it's the same pressure that causes immigrant families to not teach their first language to their kids born in their new homeland.

Since one Brythonic state continued until the 1000s it's hard to make the case that the British were wiped out, deliberately or otherwise. Cumbria was ultimately split between England and Scotland and it's inhabitants were still considered distinct from Scots and from English in the 1200s.

The ones further south ceased to exist earlier, but it's unlikely that micromanaging or replacing the local population was the goal because the fighting was between peoples who both would have considered the island their home at that point, whatever migrations from the continent had occurred had also ceased.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 12:42 pm

She now rules the world from above with her crowning glory.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Red hair is very native and very Celtic. Not a norse trait. Scandnavians are lower precent red heads than British Isles folks. Im mostly German American, and I was born blonde and got dark haired. So thats probably a mainland Germanic trait. Being blonde your whole life is probably a Norse trait..

This is half correct. Britain does have a disproportionate number of red heads but it's not a celtic trait.

Red hair came into Britain with the Beaker people who arrived from Scandinavia around 2000BC and wiped out the paleolithic population who built stonehenge. it's their genes for red hair that gaelic Britains carry (not from the Celts themselves).
About 20% of gaelic scotts and irish are scandanavian (higher than the English) which resulted in yet another infusion of red hair.

A simple of map of the distribution of
red hair shows that apart from Britain

The highest concentration of red hair is in the homeland of the Beaker/Corded ware/Kurgan people in central Russia. It is these people who drove into Northern Europe, It's not a celtic trait.

Your map proves you wrong. And proves me right (in fact Ive seen that map before and it was in mind's eye when I wrote my post).

Where is the highest concentration of red heads on that map? Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. Exactly where Celtic languages are common. Its a Celtic trait for crissakes. SOME stereotypes are correct to some degree. Lol!

Red heads are NOT concentrated in Scandanavia. So Vikings "bringing the trait to the British Isles" would be "coals to new castle" , or " cocaine to Columbia".

But there is that OTHER hot spot for red heads and thats that big splotch on the map way to the east ...astride the Ural mountains on the boundary between Europe and Asia...in the middle of Russia (right where European Russia ends and Siberia begins).

But that area has nothing to do with "the Kurgan Culture" of the Proto Indo Europeans. That culture was farther to the south in Black sea area (Ukraine and southern Russia). That splotch of red heads are in a region now inhabited by Uralian language tribes (non Indo European language group). The Hungarians sprang from that region two thousand years ago.

The "Paleolithic" ended in Europe long before Stonehenge which was built by folks who were at least Neolithic, if not Bronze Age. The "Beaker People" were Indoeuropean invaders from the East who might have been the Celts.

Whether the Beakers, or someone after, "brought in the gene for red hair" doesnt change the fact that red hair became concentrated at the west/northwest edge of Europe by early historic times, and has long coincided with people who speak Celtic languages.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:21 pm

KitLily wrote:
It's really interesting that Russia was named after the Kievan Rus, who seemed to be Norse in origin but settled in that area for some reason. Maybe Scandinavia was too inhospitable and distant?

While Danish Vikings were conquering the Danelaw, and Normandy, and while the Norwejian Vikings were pillaging westward and settling Iceland, Greenland, and even North America,...the Swedish Vikings ventured eastward into the rivers of what is now Russia. The Slavs were even more backward than the Scandanavians so the Vikings were able to organize trading posts which became major cities. So yes the Slavic ancestors of Ukraine and Russia were helped in joining the civilized world by the slightly less barbaric Vikings who opened them up to trade- especially southward with Byzantine Empire. And the new Slavic stats emering around the trading centers were called "Rus". Some Vikings ventured even further. In fact the Byzantine Emperor had a whole army of Swedish Vikings called "the Varangian Guard". One of its main purpose was to guard Byzantium from...the OTHER Vikings coming from to Aegean from the West causing the Viking world to come "full circle". Vikings going east from Sweden through Russia being hired to fight off Vikings going the other way around Europe -around France, Spain, and into the Mediterranean from the west.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I wouldn't call the idea that "every marriage had to involve an Anglo Saxon" a theory since there's literally nothing to base it on. It's baseless speculation at best.

As I said, it's a theory:

Germans set up an apartheid-like society in Britain
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2006/jul/ger ... ty-britain

Saxon hordes ousted celts
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... ted-celts/

The Anglo-Saxons were worse than the Vikings
https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-forsk ... gs/1460824

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Norse were extremely inclined towards “spreading themselves out”—and they certainly did! From Greenland to deep, European Russia. They even established a slight foothold in very eastern North America, though a government there wasn’t really organized.

I believe it’s a matter of relatively little arable land, mostly.

Yes and apparently they had something called the Fimbul Winter, which was such a harsh, long winter that they struggled to grow crops and many died of starvation. So it sounds like anywhere would be better than Scandinavia in that situation.

I've got this book with accounts from historical people since 1000AD and there's an account by Norse people of when they sailed to America and met the Native Americans, I think it's by Leif Erikson and friends. It's pretty interesting! The two groups seem to have been pretty scared of each other! 8O

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
KitLily wrote:

While Danish Vikings were conquering the Danelaw, and Normandy, and while the Norwejian Vikings were pillaging westward and settling Iceland, Greenland, and even North America,...the Swedish Vikings ventured eastward into the rivers of what is now Russia. The Slavs were even more backward than the Scandanavians so the Vikings were able to organize trading posts which became major cities. So yes the Slavic ancestors of Ukraine and Russia were helped in joining the civilized world by the slightly less barbaric Vikings who opened them up to trade- especially southward with Byzantine Empire. And the new Slavic stats emering around the trading centers were called "Rus". Some Vikings ventured even further. In fact the Byzantine Emperor had a whole army of Swedish Vikings called "the Varangian Guard". One of its main purpose was to guard Byzantium from...the OTHER Vikings coming from to Aegean from the West causing the Viking world to come "full circle". Vikings going east from Sweden through Russia being hired to fight off Vikings going the other way around Europe -around France, Spain, and into the Mediterranean from the west.

The slightly less barbaric Vikings...yes, historians reckon they got a bad press by a lot of people. Everyone was barbaric in those days but for some reason Vikings got painted as the worst! :lol:

Did you read the account of the Rus by Ibn Fadlan? If not, have a read! So interesting.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 4:47 pm

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, I often think we should dig up all of Britain to find it all out! haha. Most of it is Roman though, it's unusual when we find anything Saxon or otherwise.

Yes it's surprising how little anglo-Saxon, celtic or beaker ware they find. Suggests the cultural influence of the indo-European groups was limited. The exception are the Romans of course were prodigious builders so not surprisingly a lot of their original structures were never demolished (e.g, walls, bridges, canals and roads).

What's interesting is the amount of paleolithic finds. Despite the original paleolithic population being largely wiped from the gene pool, their archaeological legacy is much more impressive than any other group in Britain.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 5:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Your map proves you wrong. And proves me right (in fact Ive seen that map before and it was in mind's eye when I wrote my post).

Where is the highest concentration of red heads on that map? Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. Exactly where Celtic languages are common. Its a Celtic trait for crissakes. SOME stereotypes are correct to some degree. Lol!.

Again this is association by language not genetics. The Celts only arrived in Britain a century before the Romans and while they spread their culture they did not displace the Beaker folk who retained their red hair.