Teacher jailed for violating court order over a pronoun row

Page 1 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:01 am

Teacher jailed for contempt of court after refusing to use student's gender-neutral pronouns

A teacher in Ireland was jailed this week for violating a court order forbidding him from going to the school where he works, after he was put on administrative leave during disciplinary proceedings over his refusal to use a student's new name and gender-neutral pronouns, Ireland's state broadcaster reported.

In May, when a student at a secondary school in County Westmeath said they wanted to transition, Enoch Burke, who teaches German, history, politics and debate, reportedly refused to use their name and pronouns, RTE said.

When Burke, along with other school staff, was asked by the school's principal to use the pronoun "they" to refer to the student, Burke said that it went against his Christian beliefs.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/teache ... eland/#app

Last edited by magz on 08 Sep 2022, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.: title changed

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:15 am

From the title of your post, I initially had believed this was supposed to have happened in America. As it didn't, I doubt there's any reason for anyone to lose sleep over this.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2022, 2:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
From the title of your post, I initially had believed this was supposed to have happened in America. As it didn't, I doubt there's any reason for anyone to lose sleep over this.

They've got people over in Ireland who might care!

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:30 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

I thought it was an interesting contrast to another teacher vs gender pronouns story I posted.

Also I think events like these show how the preferred gender thing is becoming a major issue involving children and also effecting the education system.

Good or bad, right or wrong, I think more and more kids are getting on the preferred gender bandwagon.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:33 am

Pteranomom wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

They've got people over in Ireland who might care!

It's become an international issue within the western world.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 12:29 pm

Misleading flame baiting thread title. It may as well have said "Teacher jailed after being born," or "Teacher jailed after eating breakfast," or any other irrelevant thing they had done in their life prior to being jailed.

They weren't jailed for refusing to use gender neutral pronouns. They were jailed for violating a court order. Simple as that.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 3:50 pm

CBS News created the title. I just pasted the article as written.

I think the main issue is if it will be commonplace in the western world that teachers must call students by whatever name and preferred pronoun children decide on, or else get suspended or fired. I know when I was a kid, we would have had a field day with that kind of power. Apparently there are 78 gender pronouns, such as: He/She — Zie, Sie, Ey, Ve, Tey, E. Him/Her — Zim, Sie, Em, Ver, Ter, Em. His/Her — Zir, Hir, Eir, Vis, Tem, Eir. His/Hers — Zis, Hirs, Eirs, Vers, Ters, Eirs etc.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 07 Sep 2022, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 3:59 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
CBS News created the title. I just pasted the article as written.

False.

This is the title of the article:

"Teacher jailed for contempt of court after refusing to use student's gender-neutral pronouns"

This is the title you composed for this thread:

"Teacher jailed after refusing to use gender neutral pron"

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:04 pm

"Teacher jailed for contempt of court after refusing to use student's gender-neutral pronouns" didn't fit.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 07 Sep 2022, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:05 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I used the title of the article as supplied by CBS News as the title if the thread. If you don't like it then report it and get the mods to change it as I can't.

Did you select it from a different cbs news article on the same topic? Because clicking the link you supplied brings you to an article with the title I copied and pasted in my post above.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:08 pm

My mistake. The issue was that "Teacher jailed for contempt of court after refusing to use student's gender-neutral pronouns" did not fit. I don't like talking to you, so this is the last I'm going to say about it. Take your complaint to the mods from this point as I can't edit the title any longer.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:12 pm

I'm just not a fan of people misrepresenting things like this making it seem like the teacher was jailed for his bigotry when he was in fact jailed for breaking a court order not to be on the premises. Suggesting he was jailed for his bigotry reeks to high heaven of attempting to garner support for bigotry against trans people by suggesting that the punishment for bigotry was too harsh.

Details & accuracy matter.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:26 pm

The reason why this situation took place to begin with is kids are being given power over their teachers. "From now on you must call me "Zork-El" and refer to me as "ver".

There are 78 gender pronouns, such as: He/She — Zie, Sie, Ey, Ve, Tey, E. Him/Her — Zim, Sie, Em, Ver, Ter, Em. His/Her — Zir, Hir, Eir, Vis, Tem, Eir. His/Hers — Zis, Hirs, Eirs, Vers, Ters, Eirs etc.
https://dictionary.tn/what-are-the-78-g ... ronouns-2/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:33 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The reason why this situation took place to begin with is kids are being given power over their teachers. "From now on you must call me "Zork-El" and refer to me as "ver".

There are 78 gender pronouns, such as: He/She — Zie, Sie, Ey, Ve, Tey, E. Him/Her — Zim, Sie, Em, Ver, Ter, Em. His/Her — Zir, Hir, Eir, Vis, Tem, Eir. His/Hers — Zis, Hirs, Eirs, Vers, Ters, Eirs etc.

No, it's because a teacher refused to follow the instructions from his boss as they pertained to being respectful to students and their families' very simple requests about preferred pronouns. Insubordination will get people into trouble in the workplace.

Being rude & disrespectful to others will get people into trouble in the workplace and society at large in general, too. It's a real shame people feel entitled to be bigoted towards trans people, especially for trans people. It must be exhausting for them to have to put up with that crap all the time. Thankfully society, schools - even religious ones like this one, employers and others are all seeing this and making an effort to curb bigots' nonsense resistance to treating trans people with common decency. 8)

Edit: When has it ever been okay for teachers to abuse students? :? (I know it's happened in the past, but it's never been okay.)

Last edited by goldfish21 on 07 Sep 2022, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:38 pm

Many people would rather get fired or put in jail than bow down to the domination of a particular group/movement. Especially when that kind of power is being placed in the hands of children.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 07 Sep 2022, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:39 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Many people would rather get fired or put in jail than bow down to the domination of a particular group/movement.

If people choose to hold onto their bigotry over their jobs or freedom then that's their choice and they deserve to lose their jobs or freedom.