How the Media Fell for A Racism Sham

Page 7 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Sep 2022, 3:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
As wokeism keeps adding to the list of what's supposed to be fascist. What's not called fascist today, will be called fascist tomorrow.
How is it fascist to prevent racism?

I believe MG means "wokeists" accuse of fascism broader and broader groups of their critics and anyone can fall there at some point.

Personally, I think overusing the accusation of fascism is a real problem - it helps actual fascists remain unnoticed until they start actually killing people - or even longer.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 3:56 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
As wokeism keeps adding to the list of what's supposed to be fascist. What's not called fascist today, will be called fascist tomorrow.

I believe MG means "wokeists" accuse of fascism broader and broader groups of their critics and anyone can fall there at some point.

Personally, I think overusing the accusation of fascism is a real problem - it helps actual fascists remain unnoticed until they start actually killing people - or even longer.

Yes exactly. A good thing initially that's become too politized / weaponized.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 4:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

In this case I'm talking about what wokeism calls fascist.

And like I said, wokeism isn't preventing racism, it's keeping it going.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 4:28 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Ok I'll bite...what's the solution?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 4:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Ok I'll bite...what's the solution?

Seeing a problem is easy. Figuring out a solution is difficult.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 9:44 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I can't figure out NT's sometimes, just implying racism something intent or not unacceptable, calling a player's mother a whore, well the fan paid for his seat he can say what he wants, Chris Rock making fun of a person's disease, Will Smith is a psycho for being triggered, it was just a joke(SMH).

When someone calls a player's mother a whore, they aren't basing it on anything. They obviously don't know a thing about the player's mother. So it's entirely made up, a fabrication with the hope it could strike a chord.

But when someone uses a racist insult, it IS based on something real and tangible. People can't hide from their skin color. So it just became personal.

They know she is female. ”Whore” is a misogynistic term. There is no male equivalent, things are not usually said about players fathers.

I'm trying to figure out how to explain it. The difference is obvious to me; I can feel the difference in the insults if they were to come at me.

One is impersonal, a stab in the dark. Just because most people have a mother who is female, does not mean the heckler has any basis for referring to a player's mother as a whore. The player knows the heckler doesn't actually know his mother, and that the slur isn't based on an actual opinion of the woman. It's remote, it isn't personal. It could be directed at almost anyone on the field of play for they likely all have equal footing when it comes to having a mother. So even if it is yelled in your face specifically, it is something they could have and would have shouted at any player they wanted to rattle. Just a line they keep in their back pocket for purposes of heckling.

But if you are the only black player, or your team is the only one with black players, an insult related to race will hit home. You know they meant you because it is based on a visible difference between you and other players. It's personal.

Of course how you would take an slur directed at you is based on your particular makeup. If the accusation is true it was not personal, the heckler probably does not know the person she heckled, all that mattered was skin color and she was on the opposing team.

All this speculation about the heckler’s motives distracts from the point I was trying to make. In general and with sports heckling in particular misogyny is much less frowned upon then racism. “A Rashid” would never become a popular description of a negative personality type the way “A Karen” did. They tried to make a male equivalents for “A Karen” because there are men with that personality type but they never took off.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 10:14 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:

Exactly, so nice to see someone else who gets it. I hate racism and bigotry as much as anyone, a good chunk of why I hate wokism with such a fury is that it makes them worse, in many cases creating new divisions where there were none before. Some of the more paranoid old school leftists of my acquaintance actually think the whole thing is a psyop to keep people divided, as a movement designed for that specific purpose couldn't be any more effective at it than wokism.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 10:30 am

It seems to me in the 80s things were starting to really balance out and tensions were smoothing over, and then political correctness came along sometime in the early 90s as I recall. And sometime after that it seemed like things reverted back to the 70s, and have been stuck there ever since.

It's like it was decided that people were starting to get along too well, and a social movement needed to be started to stir up trouble. And it was mainly white people somewhere making up a bunch of rules. You had to call black people "people of color" (or whatever it was the first time) even though they call themselves black. You had to call Indians "Native Americans" even though they call themselves Indians. etc etc ad infinitum. I'm sure they started the whole "reparations" deal and so on. Tension tension tension.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Sep 2022, 11:06 am

I think we should recognize two different things, both labeled "being woke":
1. Recognizing the horrors of Atlantic slavery, "Jim Crow laws", etc., and understanding its still lingering impact in American society;
2. Calling potentially everyone and everything racist and propelling the "euphemism threadmill".

I believe the two should not be confused with each other.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm

magz wrote:
I think we should recognize two different things, both labeled "being woke":
1. Recognizing the horrors of Atlantic slavery, "Jim Crow laws", etc., and understanding its still lingering impact in American society;
2. Calling potentially everyone and everything racist and propelling the "euphemism threadmill".

I believe the two should not be confused with each other.

The only people who call the first thing "woke" are progressives trying to dissemble on the term, most people who are speaking in good faith know the difference.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Sep 2022, 1:14 pm

The people I encountered who called the first thing "woke" were some who self-identified as such.

It's the same as with "feminism": it spans from being interested in gender issues to outright men-hating. All adopt the same label but it can mean different things to each.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 8:14 pm

magz wrote:
The people I encountered who called the first thing "woke" were some who self-identified as such.

It's the same as with "feminism": it spans from being interested in gender issues to outright men-hating. All adopt the same label but it can mean different things to each.

That's a game they like to play, it's called motte and bailey arguing, where you pretend that a word means one thing when it's convenient to and another thing when you need to defend it; the arch example is feminism, which means treating women with dignity and respect when it's being defended and all sorts of other things when it's convenient.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2022, 1:56 am

Yes, that's generally common in partizan conflict.
Another phenomenon I've observed is that many people engaged in partizan thinking have a tendency to notice the reasonable part of their own wing and the fringe part of the other wing. Works for both left- and right-wingers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 6:41 pm

magz wrote:
Another phenomenon I've observed is that many people engaged in partizan thinking have a tendency to notice the reasonable part of their own wing and the fringe part of the other wing. Works for both left- and right-wingers.

That, or pretending the other guys' fringe is the majority. I get that the fringe is more visible, that you can't really "spot" a normie liberal or conservative in the wild, while the guy flying 15 Trump flags from his pickup or covering their Tesla in woker than thou bumper stickers is much more noticeable, but it's still an annoying tendency, especially when it persists after having been pointed out.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 6:45 pm

Similar story from the same outlet, Diet America flavored for our friends to the north:

The Great Canadian Mass Graves Hoax

Quote:
Last year, The New York Times dropped a bombshell headline: ‘Horrible History’: Mass Grave of Indigenous Children Reported in Canada. As other outlets picked up the shocking story, marches, protests and riots erupted across Canada. One former Canadian minister called it “Canada’s George Floyd moment.”

But according to veteran journalist Terry Glavin, the shocking story about a mass graves wasn’t true.

And saying that—reporting that—came at a very high cost.

Terry Glavin has been a reporter for over 20 years. In that time, he’s had a particular focus on persecuted minorities. Both in faraway places like China, Afghanistan, Russia and Iraq, but also in his own backyard, where he has reported extensively on the First Nations of Canada and the abuses they have suffered at the hands of the state. So how is it that someone who has spent his career giving voice to the most vulnerable, found himself accused of genocide denial?

That’s what today’s fascinating and provocative conversation on Honestly is about. In the end, it’s about what happens when the truth no longer matters.

This one's an interview that doesn't have a written transcript, but it's worth the listen, kind of incredible that this story has basically not been followed up on when it appears to be completely false.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:57 pm

magz wrote:

Not exactly rocket science that the right wing/conservative elements apply the label "woke" to those who stand for social justice.

I posted an essay by a Stanford psychology professor in another thread who observes that this phenomena is a direct consequence of changing demographics and the fear it illicits
eg. backlash against multicultural casting in TV and cinema
backlash against multicultural sports
backlash against multicultural leftwing politicians
backlash against multicultural workforce
backlash against multicultural neighborhoods
backlash against multicultural schools
backlash against multicultural immigration
There's plenty more

"Woke" is just a code for those who secretly subscribe to the great replacement theory and who want to steadfast hold onto the status quo.