Fraternity closed - Allegations of misogynistic actions

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 10:57 pm

Drugging allegations, misogynistic chanting: SigEp chapter closes immediately - University of Miami Student Newspaper

Quote:
Sigma Phi Epsilon Florida Gamma chapter (SigEp), a social fraternity established in 1949 at the University of Miami, will close its chapter effective immediately, following the fraternity’s National Headquarters’ review of an anonymous report of drugged drinks at a pool party. The anonymous report also describes a video of many members of the chapter chanting about murdering and raping women before hosting their “Adult Swim” party on Saturday, Oct. 1, at an off-campus house in Coral Gables.

The Miami Hurricane has obtained the video and other reports that corroborate these allegations.

“Me and my other friend had like white powder in our drinks,” said Abby, a SigEp party-goer who asked that she be referred to by her first name. “I hadn’t seen that before.”

Initially, Abby thought the white powder could have been foam from carbon dioxide cans that were sprayed at the party, but she wasn’t certain. Later, after the party, Abby heard from other female partygoers that they suspected they were roofied or knew someone who thought they were.

“They had never felt that sick or they didn’t think they drank that much to get to the point where they were throwing up a lot,” Abby said.

Mary, a member of Greek life who preferred to go by only her first name to avoid retribution from her sorority, described hearing similar accounts through her sorority’s group chat.

She described one text which recounted a female attendee discovering white powder in her drink after turning away from her cup. According to Mary, several other sorority members shared through their group chat that they experienced something similar and warned their sorority sisters to be careful.

Mary says she later heard about a female partygoer vomiting uncontrollably and having difficulty staying awake after consuming only a few drinks.

These accounts, along with the video taken of SigEp’s pre-party chant led the national fraternity to revoke the chapter’s charter.

The video, with the “Adult Swim” banner visible in the background, shows a crowd unanimously chanting a song about digging up a woman then having sex with her repeatedly. The anonymous report, sent to the SigEp’s National Headquarters, also includes a line about keeping the victim in a wooden box.

Fraternities have always been privileged to get away with things that are crimes under normal contexts. Hazing initiation rights such as making pledges drink massive amounts of alcohol and blindfolding and dropping them off nude in the snow in the middle of nowhere are examples. Pledges do not know what awaits them but they understand it will be brutal. If they are "man enough" to take it in the short run they get friendships but in the long run, they get lifelong networking contacts at high levels of government and business. It is these high-level people and their contributions to their alma maters that keep the system going.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman