Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:23 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One need only scratch the surface of the MAGA-Republican movement to perceive its ancestry in Naziism.

Scratch the surface of nazism and you end up back in America. White supremacy and eugenics has its origins in the new world

Sadly so, and still a little known fact.

The Ken Burns film the The U.S. and the Holocaust now airing on PBS went into that. They went into the American origins of Nazi Eugenics, also that the Nuremberg Laws were inspired by the U.S. segregation laws, and that Hitler modeled the concentration camps after the Indian Reservations.

While I knew about the eugenics inspiration I did not know about the last two.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One need only scratch the surface of the MAGA-Republican movement to perceive its ancestry in Naziism.

Scratch the surface of nazism and you end up back in America. White supremacy and eugenics has its origins in the new world

The Ken Burns film the The U.S. and the Holocaust now airing on PBS went into that. They went into the American origins of Nazi Eugenics, also that the Nuremberg Laws were inspired by the U.S. segregation laws, and that Hitler modeled the concentration camps after the Indian Reservations.

All of these things are what the anti-CRT crowd don't want their kids to learn

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:16 am

cyberdad wrote:

I am wracking my brains to think what CRT stands for! :lol:

https://www.woxikon.com/abbreviations/en/crt

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:44 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Critical Race Theory

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I am most defiantly anti CRT and I most definitely want the kids to learn that part of our history.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 11:56 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Critical Race Theory

Aha! thanks.

I was looking at that list, thinking:
Cathode ray tube
Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
Clamp Replacement tool
Computer Readout Time
Criterion Referenced Tests
??
:lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 12:14 pm

KitLily wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Critical Race Theory

Aha! thanks.

Cathode ray tube
Clamp Replacement tool
Computer Readout Time
??

Critical Race Theory aka Actual American History acknowledging white supremacy & slavery etc. There's a reason some racist people are against Actual American History being taught to school children.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 12:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Critical Race Theory aka Actual American History acknowledging white supremacy & slavery etc. There's a reason some racist people are against Actual American History being taught to school children.

Racists being racist, what a surprise.

I think the human race is going insane tbh. All 'isms' seem to be rising at once.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 1:27 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Critical Race Theory

Aha! thanks.

Cathode ray tube
Clamp Replacement tool
Computer Readout Time
??

The history being replaced is partial actual American History that whitewashed white supremacy. The history replacing it also is a partial actual American history because it downplays the good parts of American History. It judges people solely by current standards and solely on their racism. This ignores that humans are complicated creatures.

Critical Race Theory is not a theory centered on history. Oversimplifying it, it posits that most interactions are defined by systematic racism. People have used that theory to as a guideline to replace the history that whitewashed the racist parts of American in ways that I believe is an overcorrection and in some cases racist itself.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 1:49 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The history being replaced is partial actual American History that whitewashed white supremacy. The history replacing it also is a partial actual American history because it downplays the good parts of American History. It judges people solely by current standards and solely on their racism. This ignores that humans are complicated creatures.

Critical Race Theory is not a theory centered on history. Oversimplifying it, it posits that most interactions are defined by systematic racism. People have used that theory to as a guideline to replace the history that whitewashed the racist parts of American in ways that I believe is an overcorrection and in some cases racist itself.

Mmhmm. I know it's difficult to accept facts sometimes, but, fact is that white people across the Western hemisphere murdered approximately 100 Million Indigenous people in a near complete genocide as well as enslaved 10.7 Million of the 12.5 Million Africans captured and shipped to the New World - 1.8 Million died en route.

Systems of racial hierarchy have been in place for thousands of years, and the USA (and Canada's) short history are Also examples of where systemic racism has structured society.

If you yourself are not a racist person, it shouldn't be so difficult to have a critical look at our past and acknowledge these things - how they were, how they came to be, and what modern remnants remain to this day.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 2:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Mmhmm. I know it's difficult to accept facts sometimes, but, fact is that white people across the Western hemisphere murdered approximately 100 Million Indigenous people in a near complete genocide as well as enslaved 10.7 Million of the 12.5 Million Africans captured and shipped to the New World - 1.8 Million died en route.

Systems of racial hierarchy have been in place for thousands of years, and the USA (and Canada's) short history are Also examples of where systemic racism has structured society.

If you yourself are not a racist person, it shouldn't be so difficult to have a critical look at our past and acknowledge these things - how they were, how they came to be, and what modern remnants remain to this day.

Impartial critical look is one thing, assuming guilt and working from there is another. Right now America is incapable of taking and impartial look, we are either gods gift to earth, or irredeemable racists that needs to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 2:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Impartial critical look is one thing, assuming guilt and working from there is another. Right now America is incapable of taking and impartial look, we are either gods gift to earth, or irredeemable racists that needs to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

If you insist on being black & white (thinking) about it; well, you're not gods gift.. sooooooo...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 5:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Oversimplifying it, it posits that most interactions are defined by systematic racism. People have used that theory to as a guideline to replace the history that whitewashed the racist parts of American in ways that I believe is an overcorrection and in some cases racist itself.

I would have thought CRT is the opposite of oversimplification? If anything it encourages college aged students to dive into the details which underpin a) what exactly American settlers did and b) why American settlers behaved the way they did and finally c) what are the consequences both in America and in the rest of the western world?

I am sure republicans would not want their kids to know how Jim crow laws influence scientific racism, eugenics, apartheid and nazism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 6:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Oversimplifying it, it posits that most interactions are defined by systematic racism. People have used that theory to as a guideline to replace the history that whitewashed the racist parts of American in ways that I believe is an overcorrection and in some cases racist itself.

I would have thought CRT is the opposite of oversimplification? If anything it encourages college aged students to dive into the details which underpin a) what exactly American settlers did and b) why American settlers behaved the way they did and finally c) what are the consequences both in America and in the rest of the western world?

I am sure republicans would not want their kids to know how Jim crow laws influence scientific racism, eugenics, apartheid and nazism.

CRT is about explaining current systematic racism. It started specifically to look at law enforcement in an alternative manner through the lens of systematic racism. The tenants of CRT were used to create alternative histories that are the subject of attention. The things often thought of as a Critical Race Theory such as all whites are racists because they are privileged are people applying CRT for their own thing. In the real world, Critical Race Theory as a weaponized colloquial term encompasses all of these things.

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Right now America is incapable of taking and impartial look, we are either gods gift to earth, or irredeemable racists that needs to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

If you insist on being black & white (thinking) about it; well, you're not gods gift.. sooooooo...

I am saying America is incapable of taking an impartial look because of blank and white thinking/tribalism, whatever you want to call it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 6:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[The tenants of CRT were used to create alternative histories that are the subject of attention. The things often thought of as a Critical Race Theory such as all whites are racists because they are privileged are people applying CRT for their own thing. In the real world, Critical Race Theory as a weaponized colloquial term encompasses all of these things..

That is not a tenant of CRT?

A key tenant of CRT is to help students understand how history has consequences such as modern systemic racism and white privilege which are both real phenomena. A large number of white people in the US live in predominantly white suburbs/towns or sections of cities. I am sure the average student would like to know why their classroom is all white OR why they have never seen a black person in real life. The irony of republicans threatening teachers with getting sacked over teaching the truth will eventually come to bite them back as students will get curious about what they are seeing around them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 7:50 am

Critical Race Theory is over-simplified, though there are some facets which I believe are true. It bases everything on "race." That's not the way reality is.

Obviously, there was, and still is racism present. I read my history, and have experienced things first-hand.

But to put white (and nonwhite) people in a simplified racially-derived category is just wrong, and I believe, paradoxically, that this will perpetuate racism in the future.

We have to stamp out racism. But we also have to go beyond "race." Into a future where everybody is given a fair shake. Otherwise, as stated above, racism will continue to fester.