China declares no touching foreigners

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 6:01 pm

In the latest fiasco that is China's health/quarantine, the government has communicated through it's China health chief that the public are not to touch foreigners to apparently stop the spread of monkeypox.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/scie ... 1b784f16d6

By foreigner they include foreign people who have not left China, The edict resurrects the spectre of the 2020 outbreak of COVID19 where Africans were targeted despite none of them actually being in Wuhan where the outbreak originated.

Got hand it to the Chinese, They can barely hide their xenophobia when things go south.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 8:08 pm

Thanks to covid I've seen that the human race in general can't hide its xenophobia when things go south. It can barely hide its xenophobia at all.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 8:19 pm

It's funny to me how when Americans act this way we call it racism but for a country like China we use the term "xenophobia" as if we are trying not to admit that the Chinese can be just as racist as we are.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 11:40 pm

This just comes to show that Chinese people can be just as racist as whites.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 3:42 am

Unfortunately nobody wants to apply sanctions against China for there treatment of minorities

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
By foreigner they include foreign people who have not left China, The edict resurrects the spectre of the 2020 outbreak of COVID19 where Africans were targeted despite none of them actually being in Wuhan where the outbreak originated.

Got hand it to the Chinese, They can barely hide their xenophobia when things go south.

Is that what happened in 2020? People targeted Africans? I don't remember that, remind me?

In Europe it was Italians who were banned from everywhere e.g. sports events, Italian sailors weren't allowed to go ashore. For some reason, Italy got hit by covid first, we were all watching the terrible scenes of Italians dropping dead and we could do nothing to help them. For me that was the most terrifying part of the pandemic: helplessly watching a country dying. No one knew what to do about covid, it was new. And it was coming for us.

Then our stupid UK government dismissed the threat. Then 240,000 Brits died of covid.

:x Just my own personal rant.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:06 am

KitLily wrote:

Is that what happened in 2020? People targeted Africans? I don't remember that, remind me?

Oh yes. It was quite outrageous how they treated Africans (who had nothing to do with COVID19 but were blamed for spreading the virus which was impossible since Guanzhao is nowhere near Wuhan) given their huge investment in Africa and their pretence they are friends of Africa

Of course many of the African trading partners punished their arrogance
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN21Y0PL
but unfortunately any arrangement China makes is always to their advantage so not sure they cared about the diplomatic backlash

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
This just comes to show that Chinese people can be just as racist as whites.

Asia has always had, shall we say...a bit if a history with xenophobia.

Japan for example has the occasional no foreigners bars and that but nothing extreme.

Xenophobia is OK to a limited extent as long as there's substantial evidence to support a particular type of treatment of an entire group of people but there needs to be a damn good reason.

If 20% of Caucasians had Ebola or something then that'll be fair enough but mokeypox is a joke.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Oh yes. It was quite outrageous how they treated Africans (who had nothing to do with COVID19 but were blamed for spreading the virus which was impossible since Guanzhao is nowhere near Wuhan) given their huge investment in Africa and their pretence they are friends of Africa

Of course many of the African trading partners punished their arrogance
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN21Y0PL
but unfortunately any arrangement China makes is always to their advantage so not sure they cared about the diplomatic backlash

Wow I don't remember that at all but I think everyone's memory has failed since the start of the pandemic. I can't really remember what life was like pre Covid! :lol: And I suppose the UK was focusing on Europe, not China.

I do however remember how black people in general were treated terribly in Ukraine when the war broke out. They were segregated and not allowed to escape like the white Ukrainians were.

Racism is alive and well :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:55 am

KitLily wrote:
I do however remember how black people in general were treated terribly in Ukraine when the war broke out. They were segregated and not allowed to escape like the white Ukrainians were.

Racism is alive and well :roll:

Oh yes. I'm afraid when the Ukrainians were attacked by the Russians and the Chinese attacked by their own virus (COVID19) they both attacked vulnerable minorities.

The Ukrainian treatment of Indian and African students trying to escape Ukraine was probably fueled by resentment and jealousy as a lot of them were studying for engineering and medical degrees. What made matters worse is that wives/children were also among those deliberately left stranded.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:07 am

I suppose it's the centuries old superstition- 'there is a problem, it must be the fault of the 'foreigner' or the 'weirdo'.

e.g. why the Jewish people have been persecuted so often, why old women were called witches, etc.

It's a deep-rooted prejudice, but we need to move on from it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:19 am

KitLily wrote:
I suppose it's the centuries old superstition- 'there is a problem, it must be the fault of the 'foreigner' or the 'weirdo'.

e.g. why the Jewish people have been persecuted so often, why old women were called witches, etc.

The old hatred of the "other".

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

The old hatred of the "other".

Exactly. Human beings love to form tribes and exclude anyone who doesn't fit in. I'm not sure how we're going to stamp that out...

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:36 am

Just wanted to add how Trump not only turned hispanics crossing the border of Mexico into the US seeking a better life into a convient scapegoat for all the racist Republicans in America to blame all of their problems on (calling them 'murderers and rapists' as if we don't have plenty of white murderers and rapists here in Ammmmuuurrrica!! ! :lol: ), but he was also the one who decided to ban people from Islamic nations from traveling to the US.

Yup, a country that's supposed to pride itself on religious freedom managed to scapegoat an entire religious group and tried to ban them all from being able to travel to the US.

I think you're correct when you say racism in the world runs deep indeed...

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:05 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Just wanted to add how Trump not only turned hispanics crossing the border of Mexico into the US seeking a better life into a convient scapegoat for all the racist Republicans in America to blame all of their problems on (calling them 'murderers and rapists' as if we don't have plenty of white murderers and rapists here in Ammmmuuurrrica!! ! :lol: ), but he was also the one who decided to ban people from Islamic nations from traveling to the US.

Yup, a country that's supposed to pride itself on religious freedom managed to scapegoat an entire religious group and tried to ban them all from being able to travel to the US.

I think you're correct when you say racism in the world runs deep indeed...

I agree with you there. I really like your username too!

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:12 am

KitLily wrote:

I agree with you there. I really like your username too!

Thank you! :flower: