President Madison’s 1813 crystal flute played by Grammy

Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2022, 10:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s sort of an insult to America—haven’t we ALWAYS been great?

He appeals to Americans with an inferiority complex. :D

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2022, 9:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

You mean Biden with his build back better plan?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 12:06 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
It's an acronym for "make America great again", which is supposed to be a fascist idea, even though Biden has a "Build Back Better Plan" - which of course is the same idea using different words.

There you go again - arguing in bad faith.

You know full that the two slogans are not the same because they dont refer to comparable things.

Peaches to pears.

"Build back better" refers to a specific Biden program. It means "put shovels in the ground to rebuild America's physical infrastructure". The "build" part refers to literally building physical things (construction projects). Bridges, roads internet tech.

Not the same thing as "make America great again" which never referred to any specific Trump program or policy. It was just a vague over arching slogan for his campaign. Like Obama's "Change you can believe in", or Romney's "believe in America", or "Keep cool with Coolidge".

But even on that vague level "make America great again" is uniguely meaningless, and purposely meaningless, so that voter can read into it whatever they want. It implies that America WAS great in some mythical past, is no longer great now, and must be made to be great again. Which is nonsense. Our 'greatness', or lack thereof, has been about the same as it has always been.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 1:23 am

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 3:57 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
It's an acronym for "make America great again", which is supposed to be a fascist idea, even though Biden has a "Build Back Better Plan" - which of course is the same idea using different words.

There you go again - arguing in bad faith.

You know full that the two slogans are not the same because they dont refer to comparable things.

Peaches to pears.

"Build back better" refers to a specific Biden program. It means "put shovels in the ground to rebuild America's physical infrastructure". The "build" part refers to literally building physical things (construction projects). Bridges, roads internet tech.

Not the same thing as "make America great again" which never referred to any specific Trump program or policy. It was just a vague over arching slogan for his campaign. Like Obama's "Change you can believe in", or Romney's "believe in America", or "Keep cool with Coolidge".

But even on that vague level "make America great again" is uniguely meaningless, and purposely meaningless, so that voter can read into it whatever they want. It implies that America WAS great in some mythical past, is no longer great now, and must be made to be great again. Which is nonsense. Our 'greatness', or lack thereof, has been about the same as it has always been.

Both are about bringing America back to top performance as the greatest nation on earth. But the libs decided Trump's version was about nationalism and facsim, when it was basically the same "I'm going to fix, restore, improve America" presidential candidate sales pitch. Wait and see what happens if someone else besides Trump runs against Biden. He'll most likely be called a nazi fascist too, even though he'll likely be using age old slightly tailor-made jargon used by most candidates. Like someone else pointed out, if it comes from a democrat it's good, if it comes from a republican it's evil.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 6:27 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Wait and see what happens if someone else besides Trump runs against Biden. He'll most likely be called a nazi fascist too, even though he'll likely be using age old slightly tailor-made jargon used by most candidates. Like someone else pointed out, if it comes from a democrat it's good, if it comes from a republican it's evil.

Prior to Trump, I can't recall one republican leader being called that term. Go figure, That's that GOPers like nowadays. De Santis is following Trump's recipe.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2022, 7:09 am

I'm not gonna respond to a few choice comments in this thread but anyone who's sincerely mad or defending people who are mad about it is either racist or mad they're a fatass and she's higher energy and is in better shape than them.

It's a flute you didn't know existed until she played it. The Library of Congress let her do it. People enjoyed it. Get over it.

I don't know how we got to talking about Trump; he's not the president and hopefully will be in federal prison in a couple months, but if we wanna take shots at obesity and being in possession of valuables...

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 7:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Wait and see what happens if someone else besides Trump runs against Biden. He'll most likely be called a nazi fascist too, even though he'll likely be using age old slightly tailor-made jargon used by most candidates. Like someone else pointed out, if it comes from a democrat it's good, if it comes from a republican it's evil.

Prior to Trump, I can't recall one republican leader being called that term. Go figure, That's that GOPers like nowadays. De Santis is following Trump's recipe.

Perhaps before Trump you had a more typical interest in foreign politics. Or if you were as absorbed 20 years ago as now, you forgot about W launching a war against Iraq and all the derogatory things said about him and Chaney and others on his staff over it and other things.

However with the current situation, they have gone so far with calling most anything and everything that's not liberal, racist and fascist, there's no stopping them now, no matter what.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 8:44 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

We do have bad infrastructure that needs work.Lots of crappy bridges that need repair.We just had one replaced that was in such bad shape the crew set to demolish it wouldn’t let their equipment on the bridge, yet all of us had been driving over it. 8O

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 8:49 am

Misslizard wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

We do have bad infrastructure that needs work.Lots of crappy bridges that need repair.We just had one replaced that was in such bad shape the crew set to demolish it wouldn’t let their equipment on the bridge, yet all of us had been driving over it. 8O

I don't have any problem with things being restored.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 9:05 am

It’s a shame they couldn’t have saved it for a foot bridge, it was a pretty bridge and historic.
Just too far gone.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_River_Bridge

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 10:12 am

Misslizard wrote:
It’s a shame they couldn’t have saved it for a foot bridge, it was a pretty bridge and historic.
Just too far gone.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_River_Bridge

There's an old bridge and an old railroad trestle in my area they saved as foot bridges.
I wish they'd turn this trestle into a footbridge. People used to cross it all the time in the old days. But the modern day safety party poopers fenced it off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 10:17 am

I feel, frequently, that vigilance when it comes to safety could save a lot of lives.

Yes, they don't want to get sued.....but also yes, they just don't want anybody to come to harm's way because of malfunctioning infrastructure.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 10:45 am

I hope this old bridge can be saved.
We should save our history, not destroy it.
https://savethehistoricalbrumleyswingingbridge.com/