Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 7:33 pm

The US Navy said 'traces' of jet fuel were found in the water on the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. A sailor says the problem was way worse.

I wonder if someone poured fuel in the wrong tank. Happens a lot in cars when changing fluids.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 7:51 pm

I suppose that could happen. The plumbing system of an aircraft carrier is probably quite complex.

They stopped using aircraft carriers powered by burning fossil fuels some decades ago. I am rather sure that all of the USN carriers in use today are nuclear powered. ships themselves dont need fuel oil storage the way that most ships do. But they have lubricating oil for the ship, fuel oil for the jet planes, potable water, for the crew to drink and bath in, water for the ship's nuclear reactor boilers, they may use sea water for fire fighting (so the water doesnt need to be stored but it stills has some kind of uptake system), and they have sprayable chemicals for fire suppression as well. So I suppose it could be a matter of getting 'fluids mixed up' somewhere in the bowls of the ship.

We Americans are all getting bombarded on TV ads, and some of us are also getting our email bombarded, by invitations to join the Camp Lejune Lawsuit - thousands drank drinking water contaimentated by Benzene for...a whole thirty years- at camp Lejune North Carolina. And that was a base on dry land. If they screw up the water on a base on dry land....and not do anything to fix the problem for thirty years...then I suppose temporary poisoning of water on ship is possible.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 7:57 pm

Nuclear powered or not, Carriers still have to carry jet fuel, and gasoline. So its fairly easy to see how cross contamination could occur.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 8:24 pm

DanielW wrote:
Nuclear powered or not, Carriers still have to carry jet fuel, and gasoline. So its fairly easy to see how cross contamination could occur.

Thats what I said.