Musk Buying Twitter.... For Real This Time

Page 3 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 2:11 pm

Mikah wrote:
Are we back in the good timeline?

For the moment anyway, the two guys trolling the media pretending to be laid off Twitter employees was pretty good too.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 2:51 pm

This is exactly why the right wanted Elon Musk to take over Twitter. This is the free speech they wanted:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/far-right-figures-appear-to-be-testing-twitter-s-boundaries-for-anti-lgbtq-speech/ar-AA13AVVt?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=10e31448a29e425e93326d65e84160a2

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 2:59 pm

Democratic U.S. senator wants probe into Saudi firm's stake in Twitter By David Shepardson

Quote:
Democratic U.S. Senator Chris Murphy said on Monday he wants a U.S. national security review of a Saudi Arabian conglomerate's stake in Twitter Inc after Elon Musk's takeover of the social media company.

Murphy said he was asking the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) — which reviews acquisitions of U.S. businesses by foreign buyers — "to conduct an investigation into the national security implications of Saudi Arabia's purchase of Twitter."

Most foreigners seeking to take even noncontrolling stakes in U.S. companies must seek approval from CFIUS, a powerful Treasury-led committee that reviews transactions for national security concerns and has the power to block them.

On Friday, Saudi Arabia's Kingdom Holding Company and the private office of Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said they will continue their ownership of Twitter shares valued at $1.89 billion, according to a statement tweeted by Prince Alwaleed.

"The deal is in line with the long-term investment strategy which Kingdom Holding Company is known for," the statement said.

Alwaleed's Kingdom Holding is 16.9% owned by Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund, which is chaired by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 3:03 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

You're 100% right Tim Tex. I'll be leaving Twitter if it gets too bad, I like kindness and polite conversations, not extremists shouting obscenities.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 8:52 pm

KitLily wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

You're 100% right Tim Tex. I'll be leaving Twitter if it gets too bad, I like kindness and polite conversations, not extremists shouting obscenities.

I left 3 years ago (unrelated to this).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 10:50 am

Interesting take on why Musk wants Twitter

No, Elon and Jack are not "competitors". They are collaborating.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 10:52 am

I heard he apparently bought it so Amber Heard disabled her Twitter account. Just as long as he doesn't get rid of the block option, I will continue using the site and I can always block these bad actors when I come across their page or Tweet.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 11:37 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I left 3 years ago (unrelated to this).

I found a lovely group of people on Twitter so I'll be disappointed if Musk fvcks it up there. We're all going to leave together though if he does.

I left Facebook 6 years ago, what a bunch of horrible bullies on there.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 11:55 am

I have been following the news reports regarding Musk taking over Twitter and I have to say that I am disappointed with some of his decisions. It looks like he wants to charge his subscribers a monthly fee and the reasons is to keep "Liars" out of social media. Why can't have a better moderation team in place who have be the "Fact checkers?" However, I think I know the answer but no comment.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 12:00 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I have been following the news reports regarding Musk taking over Twitter and I have to say that I am disappointed with some of his decisions. It looks like he wants to charge his subscribers a monthly fee and the reasons is to keep "Liars" out of social media. Why can't have a better moderation team in place who have be the "Fact checkers?" However, I think I know the answer but no comment.

There is already a Twitter fee but it's premium Twitter. I still use the freebie kind. But once he starts to do a subscription for all, I'm leaving. I am sure others will follow too and there will be another social media platform. I can use Reddit to advertise my adult content but will create a new account for it if I can't find another platform.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 12:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Democratic U.S. senator wants probe into Saudi firm's stake in Twitter By David Shepardson
Quote:
Democratic U.S. Senator Chris Murphy said on Monday he wants a U.S. national security review of a Saudi Arabian conglomerate's stake in Twitter Inc after Elon Musk's takeover of the social media company.

Musk has a history of not paying dividends, even on his publicly traded companies. That, and the twitter deal was over-priced by a large margin, and their prospects for profit are grim. One might reasonably ask why the Saudis would want in on the deal. One might reasonably ask what they want of Elon Musk. Hence, the security review.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 9:22 am

More info on Saudi involvement in Twitter

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 6:53 am

I don't know why Musk, the richest man in the world, needs people to subscribe to his social media site. He's not exactly strapped for cash is he!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 5:44 am

Confusion and Frustration Reign as Elon Musk Cuts Half of Twitter’s Staff

Quote:
When the ax came down at Twitter on Friday, it did not fall smoothly.

The first sign that some of the company’s 7,500 employees had been laid off came when their email accounts were shut off late Thursday. Yet they received no official word about termination and some of their Slack accounts still worked. In Twitter’s offices in Ireland and Britain, employees stayed up late waiting for the San Francisco headquarters to inform them of their job status. Some learned they were unemployed in the middle of their night.

The cuts were so haphazard that at one late-night meeting about the Twitter Blue subscription product, at least one worker was locked out of the company’s systems during the call, according to three people with knowledge of the meeting and internal messages viewed by The New York Times.

Many employees vented on Twitter. Chris Younie, a member of the partnerships team based in London, discovered he had been laid off when he checked his corporate laptop and email account after midnight and could not access the internal systems.

“So grateful this is happening at 3am,” Mr. Younie posted sarcastically on Twitter. “Really appreciate the thoughtfulness on the timing front guys.”
By early Friday, the scale of the layoffs by Elon Musk, Twitter’s new owner, was becoming clear: Roughly half of the company’s work force, or about 3,700 jobs, had been eliminated, four people with knowledge of the matter said. The cuts hit across many divisions, including the engineering and machine learning teams, the trust and safety teams that manage content moderation, and the sales and advertising departments. Rarely have layoffs this deep been made by a single individual at a tech company.

The layoffs leave Twitter significantly changed just over a week after Mr. Musk closed his blockbuster $44 billion buyout of the company. The actions raise questions about how the world’s richest man can effectively operate the social media service and carry out his ambitious plans for it, including adding new product features, boosting the number of users and finding other revenue streams.

Mr. Musk, 51, faces numerous challenges at Twitter, which he has taken private. He is under financial pressure to make the deal work, having taken on $13 billion in debt for the buyout. Yet the company has lost money for eight of the past 10 years and, like other social media companies, faces a decline in digital advertising amid a slowing economy.

At the same time, some advertisers, which provide 90 percent of Twitter’s revenue, have paused their spending on the platform, citing fears over how the site’s content might change under Mr. Musk. That pullback accelerated on Friday as advertisers like Volkswagen Group joined the growing boycott. Civil rights groups have repeatedly warned that loosening Twitter’s content rules might lead to a rise in toxic speech.

On Friday, Mr. Musk addressed Twitter’s layoffs while speaking at an investment conference in New York. He said the cuts were needed because “Twitter was having pretty serious revenue challenges and cost challenges” before the deal, which have been made worse by “activist groups pressuring major advertisers to stop spending money on Twitter.”
He added that he had tried “every possible thing to appease” these activists and reiterated that he had not changed Twitter’s content rules. He later said in a tweet that the company was losing more than $4 million a day.

Twitter’s communications team, which was almost entirely laid off, did not respond to a request for comment. Mr. Musk did not respond to a request for comment.

Sandra Sucher, a professor of management at Harvard University who has studied layoffs for more than a decade, said Twitter’s cuts were among the most poorly handled that she had seen. While the scale was not unprecedented, it was unusual to see layoffs done so quickly without a detailed explanation provided to workers about who was being laid off and why, she said.

“This is a master class in how not to do it,” Ms. Sucher said. “If you were going to rank order ways to upset people, telling them you’re going to do it in advance, without rationale, that is a particularly inhumane way to treat them.”

Mr. Musk already faces legal challenges from the layoffs. On Friday, five former Twitter workers filed a class-action lawsuit against the company for failing to give advance notice of the cuts. California and federal laws require companies to notify workers in advance of mass layoffs.

While Mr. Musk said in a tweet on Friday that laid-off workers were offered three months’ severance, U.S. employees were told that they would be kept on the payroll for two months before being officially terminated, a maneuver that could help Twitter skirt the advance notice required by law for a mass layoff. The employees could then receive an additional month of severance.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 7:13 am

Yes, cutting the number of staff will help the site be moderated better, won't it, Musk? :roll:

There's all sorts of warnings on Twitter now saying it's going to go to hell in a handbasket from Monday.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:42 am

Elon Musk is the perfect person to own Twitter and here's why:

1. He doesn't need the money of Liberal sponsors, won't be pressured by them to shut down the voices of conservatives in order to keep the money flowing.
2. He can afford to keep Twitter as a hobby. He has so many other salient and brilliant irons in the fire that they can't cancel him.
3. He's a trailblazer. He's reportedly on the spectrum, demanding that he do something just because, isn't going to work.

Very happy!! ! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.