Man arrested for shooting at homeless family

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 11:03 pm

Florida man shot at homeless family of 5 in car, struck pregnant mom: police

Quote:
A Florida man has been arrested after investigators said he opened fire on a homeless family of five who were sleeping in their car at a park in Tampa last week.

Christopher Stamat Jr., 21, is facing six felony charges following the shooting that unfolded around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday on the 2200 block of N Oregon Avenue in a parking lot across from the Martin Luther King Jr. Recreation Complex, the Tampa Police Department said Saturday.

“Our community as a whole can sleep easier tonight knowing the suspect linked to this monstrous, random act of violence is no longer free to prey on innocent people,” Tampa Police Chief Mary O’Connor said in a written statement, thanking detectives for the swift identification of the suspect.

Stamat allegedly fired at a vehicle as a father in his 30s and a pregnant mother in her 20s were sleeping inside with their three children, ages nine, four and three. The mother was struck in the head but suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was recovering at a hospital. The father and children were unharmed.

Detectives identified Stamat after investigating a black 2-door 300 series 2012 BMW that was seen on multiple surveillance videos near the area at the time of the shooting. Police found the vehicle in the garage of a home in Tampa on Thursday and learned Stamat was the owner.

Investigators have yet to learn of a motive for the shooting.

Police said Stamat has not said why he opened fire but claimed that he felt people were “stalking and following him” in cars, on bikes and walking.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 10:57 am

Good.

At least the motive wasn't that they were homeless.. I guess that's a good thing. Sounds like the guy is a paranoid schizophrenic or something.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 11:00 am

Why do so many men in Florida act this way? Is there something in the water? Has finding alligators in their toilet caused them to suffer mental imbalance? :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 11:18 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Why do so many men in Florida act this way? Is there something in the water? Has finding alligators in their toilet caused them to suffer mental imbalance? :lol:

There are so many 'Florida man,' stories because Florida has a law that says crimes have to be published.. something like that. There are equally stupid crimes elsewhere, but Florida publishes everything.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 8:52 pm

I really hate all the "Florida Man" jokes because I lived in Florida for 10 years and I can honestly say I found Floridians to be friendlier people than those living in Georgia.