President of LA City Council resigns in disgrace

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 5:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
Thank you Walrus!

Looks like I owe you an apology. While I agree you used irony in your first post, I was under the impression that it is unacceptable language to say it's OK as they do look like monkeys. I stand corrected by the moderator.

This has been a teaching moment for me.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 7:36 am

Doberdoofus wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Thank you Walrus!

Looks like I owe you an apology. While I agree you used irony in your first post, I was under the impression that it is unacceptable language to say it's OK as they do look like monkeys. I stand corrected by the moderator.

This has been a teaching moment for me.

Ah don't sweat it. Take it easy.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Oct 2022, 10:37 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Just to add that four pages of arguing and personal attacks could have been avoided, simply by not making a somewhat less-than-obvious ironic statement.

I thought we'd learned on other threads that this and sarcasm often fail here, with the predictable heated fallout - which shouldn't be too surprising considering the intended audience of WP.
Best avoided, n'est-ce pas?

I'm also left wondering why an event occurring in 2021, resulting in a recent resignation, apparently requires promotion to "News and Current Events" and support from an Indian journal "Pehal News" (who they?) of an unrelated event; it looks like a fishing expedition to find something, anything to bolster the story further than it appears to warrant, and reads to me like an attempt at "See - they're all at it!!".

Yes, a woman on a local council said a bad thing and she's now resigned.
Next...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 4:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
No, if I didn't know the color of the child in question, I wouldn't. But the child who was called a monkey is black, and so the racial connotation can't be ignored.

Does that not strike you as weird though, that in a vacuum calling a child a little monkey is perfectly acceptable and an obvious comparison, but when it's a black child it suddenly becomes a racial slur? Does that not suggest that perhaps it's the observer inserting the racial connotations, absent some other context?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 8:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
No, if I didn't know the color of the child in question, I wouldn't. But the child who was called a monkey is black, and so the racial connotation can't be ignored.

Does that not strike you as weird though, that in a vacuum calling a child a little monkey is perfectly acceptable and an obvious comparison, but when it's a black child it suddenly becomes a racial slur? Does that not suggest that perhaps it's the observer inserting the racial connotations, absent some other context?

Again, it's a matter of context, as black Americans have been called monkeys and apes as racial slurs. It's hard for me to believe there wasn't any sort of racial slur in this case, considering that fact.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 10:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Again, it's a matter of context, as black Americans have been called monkeys and apes as racial slurs.

By the Hispanic and Latino community?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 12:40 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Again, it's a matter of context, as black Americans have been called monkeys and apes as racial slurs.

Racists come in all colors, so I don't see why not.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 1:12 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Again, it's a matter of context, as black Americans have been called monkeys and apes as racial slurs. It's hard for me to believe there wasn't any sort of racial slur in this case, considering that fact.

It's not just trashy whites and Latinos

Ronald Reagan
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/us/p ... acist.html

Ron DeSantis (Satan)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/po ... whistling/

They set the examples for new republicans
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1LE1YH

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 1:22 am

The DeSantis story is the perfect example of the type of projected idiocy I'm referring to, "monkey things up" is a long-standing and race neutral expression meaning to screw things up, trying to inject race into it only outs the racist associations of the moronic accusers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 1:29 am

Dox47 wrote:
The DeSantis story is the perfect example of the type of projected idiocy I'm referring to, "monkey things up" is a long-standing and race neutral expression meaning to screw things up, trying to inject race into it only outs the racist associations of the moronic accusers.

Sounds more like strategic dog whistling
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... r-election

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 1:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Different nationalities and cultures have different slang and slurs.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 1:46 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But American racists tend to share the same slurs, regardless of color.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 2:41 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But American racists tend to share the same slurs, regardless of color.

No they don't. Have you ever heard of Latin American people calling a white person a honky? Ever heard of African American people calling a white person a gringo?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 3:51 am

^^^
True, but that doesn't mean Latino racists wouldn't use the same slurs against blacks that white racists would.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 3:55 am

cyberdad wrote:

You think everything is dog whistling. Your opinions are also all trash, so there is that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 4:16 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You think everything is dog whistling. Your opinions are also all trash, so there is that.

Calling my opinions names doesn't cover up the links I provide (and I'm certainly not alone).
De Santis knew what he was doing. I know that....and of course...you know as well, but we can keep playing these games