President of LA City Council resigns in disgrace

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 4:49 am

Nury Martinez, the former president of the Los Angeles City Council, who stepped down this week from that role after the publication of a 2021 recording that captured her making racist remarks, resigned from the council Wednesday.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/nury-martinez ... 22938.html

On a leaked recording published Sunday by the Los Angeles Times, Martinez, a Latina, is heard referring to the Black son of white councilman Mike Bonin as a “changuito,” a Spanish term meaning little monkey, and telling council members Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León, and Ron Herrera, president of the L.A. County Federation of Labor, all of whom are Latino, that he “needs a beatdown.”

Just hours after the recording was published by the Times, Martinez swiftly issued an apology and resigned as president, but she resisted calls to step down from the council altogether, even as pressure swiftly mounted from all corners of the political world to force her out.

Not just her....what about the other three "Changuitos". I can't believe they can show their faces in the LA council without getting their teeth knocked out??

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 4:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
Not just her....what about the other three "Changuitos". I can't believe they can show their faces in the LA council without getting their teeth knocked out??

You have strange ideas about interpersonal relations.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 5:07 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Just saying...I wouldn't show my face after getting caught saying that stuff

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 8:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

But you just did say it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 10:49 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

But you just did say it.

Huh?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 11:51 pm

Goes to show you, the idiocy of racism isn't restricted to any particular ethnicity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 1:10 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Goes to show you, the idiocy of racism isn't restricted to any particular ethnicity.

No but there are some groups who consider themselves white adjacent

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 9:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

There's even racism within races. There are white people who hate redheads aka gingers (ginger being a pejorative). There are Chinese people who despise Japanese people and vice versa. Black people dislike black people who are darker and vice versa. There are Cubans who dislike Mexicans. People from the north dislike rednecks. People from the south dislike yankees. Democrats hate orange people. The list goes on and on. Maybe someday we'll figure out how to live with the fact that everyone doesn't love everyone.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 9:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

But you just did say it.

Huh?

I can find no reference in that article to anyone saying what you posted ^ ,
thus these are your own words
thus Matrix Glitch pointed it out
thus by your own metric you shouldn't show your face on this forum again /s :P

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 3:13 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

There's even racism within races. There are white people who hate redheads aka gingers (ginger being a pejorative). There are Chinese people who despise Japanese people and vice versa. Black people dislike black people who are darker and vice versa. There are Cubans who dislike Mexicans. People from the north dislike rednecks. People from the south dislike yankees. Democrats hate orange people. The list goes on and on. Maybe someday we'll figure out how to live with the fact that everyone doesn't love everyone.

White people who worship orange people can hate those who do not.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 3:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Is that just plain old right v left hate or a different flavour?

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 3:47 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Take your pick.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 5:37 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I wasn't talking about that. I just tossed in orange as a joke. I should have known better.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 5:41 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:

I can find no reference in that article to anyone saying what you posted ^ ,
thus these are your own words
thus Matrix Glitch pointed it out
thus by your own metric you shouldn't show your face on this forum again /s :P

Can't throw accusations without evidence

Matrix Glitch
Veteran