Nancy Pelosi’s husband hospitalized after assault at home

Page 6 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 5:12 am

Dox47 wrote:
Well, the guy's confession seems to put a neat bow on it, never hurts to ask questions though.

Unless the questions coming from political opponents are clearly meant to spread slander and innuendo, as was the case with talking heads on the right, as had happened in this case. Now, there are MAGA types who still fervently believe the press is covering for the Pelosis.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 11:41 pm

Paul Pelosi released from hospital a week after brutal attack

Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul Pelosi, was released from the hospital Thursday, a week after he suffered a brutal attack by an assailant who broke into the couple’s home in San Francisco.

Pelosi, 82, underwent surgery at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital to repair a skull fracture and injuries to his right arm and hands after the attack last Friday.

In a statement after his release, Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said her husband "remains under doctors’ care as he continues to progress on a long recovery process and convalescence," adding, "He is now home surrounded by his family who request privacy.”

Immigration officials say Pelosi attacker was in US illegally
Quote:
David DePape, the man accused of violently attacking Paul Pelosi last week, was in the United States illegally and may face deportation, the Department of Homeland Security said late Wednesday.

“U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) lodged an immigration detainer on Canadian national David DePape with San Francisco County Jail, Nov. 1, following his Oct. 28 arrest,” the department said.

ICE issues so-called immigration “detainers” to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies to inform them that the agency intends to take custody of an individual and requests that ICE be notified before that individual is released.

The detainer is unlikely to affect DePape’s case since deportations often happen after criminal cases are resolved. But after conviction and prison sentence, the US normally would seek deportation.

According to federal records, DePape, a Canadian citizen, entered the country on March 8, 2008, at the San Ysidro port of entry, which is along the California-Mexico border, as a temporary visitor. Generally, Canadians who are visiting for business or pleasure don’t require a visa and are allowed to stay in the US for six months.

DePape entered a not guilty plea Tuesday to all state charges during his initial appearance in court. He has not yet entered a plea in federal court.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Nov 2022, 4:24 pm

The Montanans, Idahoans, and Dakotans might build a wall, but the Washingtonians will not.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 9:38 pm

Stay tuned... many people are scratching their heads because it does not make sense. Release the body cam from when the cops came to the door.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 4:26 am

It's almost surprising that something like this hasn't happened sooner," Lilliana Mason, a political scientist at Johns Hopkins University, said of the attack on Mr Pelosi.

"Because of the ways that the right tends to dehumanise and vilify elected officials on the left, particularly Nancy Pelosi or [Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez]."

One of the most powerful women in US politics, Ms Pelosi has frequently featured in Republican attack ads, including one where she appeared as "Darth Nancy" and another that showed her face framed by the barrel of a gun.

According to Politico, in 2010 alone, she starred in $US75 million worth of Republican-funded ads that helped sway the midterm elections that year and deliver them control of the house.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-05/ ... /101605510

No wonder...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 5:04 am

TwisterUprocker wrote:
The Montanans, Idahoans, and Dakotans might build a wall, but the Washingtonians will not.

As a son of Washington state, I thank you. :wink:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 2:16 pm

Remember that time a Bernie volunteer tried to gun down the entire Republican Congressional baseball team and critically wounded Steve Scalise? Or that dude tried to assassinate Justice Kavanaugh and had a hit list of other conservative justices? Or that guy who shot up the the security guard at Focus on the Family and planned on massacring the staff and stuffing Chik-fil-A sandwiches in their dead mouths? Somehow, none of those incidents resulted in any hand wringing about the rhetoric coming from the left, nor did they receive a fraction of the coverage that a deranged man with incomprehensible politics getting into a hammer fight with a congressional spouse has; if liberals didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any at all.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 4:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Remember that time a Bernie volunteer tried to gun down the entire Republican Congressional baseball team and critically wounded Steve Scalise? Or that dude tried to assassinate Justice Kavanaugh and had a hit list of other conservative justices? Or that guy who shot up the the security guard at Focus on the Family and planned on massacring the staff and stuffing Chik-fil-A sandwiches in their dead mouths? Somehow, none of those incidents resulted in any hand wringing about the rhetoric coming from the left, nor did they receive a fraction of the coverage that a deranged man with incomprehensible politics getting into a hammer fight with a congressional spouse has; if liberals didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any at all.

I actually do remember the Scalliece (spelling) shooting having been condemned by Democrats. In fact, when the Dems won the ball game, they had given the trophy to the Republicans as a show of their empathy and sympathy.
What makes the Pelosi attack different from all the ones you had mentioned is that Democrats never tried spreading lies and innuendos about the victim like the Republicans have done with Pelosi's husband, who was clearly the innocent victim of a violent crime. Sure, the Democrats probably should have expressed more empathy in those other cases, but at least they hadn't made light of any of those attacks.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 6:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
What makes the Pelosi attack different from all the ones you had mentioned is that Democrats never tried spreading lies and innuendos about the victim like the Republicans have done with Pelosi's husband, who was clearly the innocent victim of a violent crime.

No, they've just tried to pin the crime of an obviously mentally disturbed person on the entire GOP, just like they did with the Gabby Giffords shooting and countless other incidents, while ignoring and or downplaying the violence that could be said to be a consequence of their own rhetoric. And people like you fall for it every time.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 7:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What makes the Pelosi attack different from all the ones you had mentioned is that Democrats never tried spreading lies and innuendos about the victim like the Republicans have done with Pelosi's husband, who was clearly the innocent victim of a violent crime.

No, they've just tried to pin the crime of an obviously mentally disturbed person on the entire GOP, just like they did with the Gabby Giffords shooting and countless other incidents, while ignoring and or downplaying the violence that could be said to be a consequence of their own rhetoric. And people like you fall for it every time.

Not you or anyone can tell me that the attack on Pelosi had absolutely nothing to do with the heightened violence from January 6 onward. Yes, the attacker was mentally ill, but he also spouted the same insane political talk coming from the MAGA crowd. I don't believe anyone said the whole Republican party bears responsibility for the assault on Mr. Pelosi, but its radical right MAGA wing certainly must accept the blame.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 8:54 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Yes, the attacker was mentally ill, but he also spouted the same insane political talk coming from the MAGA crowd.

According to many political scientists in the US, the GOP have been using this tactic of vilifying democrat politicians as unpatriotic and a danger to the american way of life. There is a cause and effect. The GOP were at great pains to claim they had nothing to do with inspiring the attacker who shot Kathy Giffords but when you look at the gun imagery used by Sarah Palin it's not that hard to make the connection.

Since Trump the rhetoric has turned particularly vile and Pelosi isn't the only democrat politician who needs protection from MAGA fanatics. AOC and others on the left of the democrat party regularly receive death threats.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:05 pm

This kind of thing terrifies me. I'm really scared of the lunatics here in this country wanting to use violence to start a civil war.

Biden's biggest blunder was thinking he would ever be able to unite this country again and work with his political enemies. I can't help but feel a sense of doom. :|

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:36 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
This kind of thing terrifies me. I'm really scared of the lunatics here in this country wanting to use violence to start a civil war

And (here's the important part). Most of these "fanatics" don't have a mental illness. David Duke stood for political office in Lousiana had a PhD but was also the grand wizard of the KKK. Daivd Pearce (the author of the Turner diaries) the most influential publication by an extreme right winger calls for the overthrow of democratically elected governments by starting a race war. Pearce was a highly intelligent (if obsessed) man who also held a PhD.

Most of the rabble who stormed the Capitol building crying "Lynch Pelosi" and "lynch AOC" were perfectly normal people who worked in professional jobs or were business owners.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 10:14 pm

If they have nothing to hide they'll release the body cam. If the entire Conservative political party is going to be blamed for the actions of a man from Canada who overstayed his VISA, lives in a rundown camper with LGBTQ and BLM flags flying, reported by his neighbors to be a practicing nudist, we should be privy to the footage.

But, because it's Paul Pelosi in his skivvies, they'll claim the footage is a homeland security issue. They'll claim a Canadian gay man, who is mentally ill and supports every known special interest group important to Liberals, is somehow a right wing conservative and blame conservatives.

Smells like poop...

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 10:29 pm

the people joking about this assault should reconsider their actions.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 10:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the people joking about this assault should reconsider their actions.

Your comment was under my comment, but I know you can't be referring to me. Just as it's not funny to be hit in the head with a hammer, it's also not funny to spend an entire life devoted to non-violence, only to be heaped together with a violent individual who in no way is a conservative.