Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 7:12 pm

School gunman had AR-15-style weapon, 600 rounds of ammo

Quote:
he 19-year-old gunman who killed a teacher and a 15-year-old girl at a St. Louis high school was armed with an AR-15-style rifle and what appeared to be more than 600 rounds of ammunition, Police Commissioner Michael Sack said Tuesday.

Orlando Harris also left behind a hand-written note offering his explanation for the shooting Monday at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School. Tenth-grader Alexzandria Bell and 61-year-old physical education teacher Jean Kuczka died and seven students were wounded before police killed Harris in an exchange of gunfire.

Sack read Harris’ note in which the young man lamented that he had no friends, no family, no girlfriend and a life of isolation. In the note, Harris called it the “perfect storm for a mass shooter.”

ack said Harris had some ammo strapped to his chest, some in a bag, and other magazines were found dumped in stairwells.

“This could have been much worse,” Sack said.

The attack forced students to barricade doors and huddle in classroom corners, jump from windows and run out of the building to seek safety. One terrorized girl said she was eye-to-eye with the shooter before his gun apparently jammed and she was able to run out. Several people inside the school said they heard Harris warn, “You are all going to die!”

Harris, 19, graduated from the school last year. The FBI was assisting police in the investigation.

The seven injured students are all 15 or 16 years old. All were listed in stable condition. Sack said four suffered gunshot or graze wounds, two had bruises and one had a broken ankle — apparently from jumping out of the three-story building.

The school in south St. Louis was locked, with seven security guards at the doors, St. Louis Schools Superintendent Kelvin Adams said. A security guard initially became alarmed when he saw Harris trying to get in one of the doors. He was armed with a gun and “there was no mystery about what was going to happen. He had it out and entered in an aggressive, violent manner,” Sack said.

That guard alerted school officials and made sure police were contacted.

Harris managed to get inside anyway — Sack declined to say how, saying he didn’t want to “make it easy” for anyone else who wants to break into a school.

Police offered this timeline of events: A 911 call came in at 9:11 a.m. alerting police of an active shooter. Officers — some off-duty wearing street clothes — arrived at 9:15 a.m.

Police located Harris at 9:23 a.m. on the third floor of the school, where he had barricaded himself inside a classroom. Police said in a news release that when Harris shot at officers, they shot back and broke through the door.

At 9:25 a.m., when Harris pointed his rifle at police, they fired several shots. He was secured by police at 9:32 a.m.

Police said Alexzandria was found in a hallway and died at the scene. Kuczka was found in a classroom and died at a hospital.

Central Visual and Performing Arts shares a building with another magnet school, Collegiate School of Medicine and Bioscience. Central has 383 students, Collegiate 336.

It was the 40th school shooting this year resulting in injuries or death, according to a tally by Education Week — the most in any year since it began tracking shootings in 2018.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 5:08 am

ERROR, DOES NOT SUPPORT NARRATIVE

ABORT

ABORT

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 5:20 am

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... bec5c.html

Going through problems of adjustment after high school.

Doesn’t mean he should have done this!

Remembering the victims.

https://www.kmov.com/2022/10/26/remembe ... -shooting/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 8:32 am

This is on Mike Parsons, Josh Hawley, and Roy Blunt's hands.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2022, 9:37 pm

While I do think people should be able to own some firearms, remember this about the 2nd:

It was never meant to guarantee personal ownership!

Read through the constitution. Circle every instance where they write "People" and "citizen."

At the time, they wrote "people" when referring to a government elected by the people. Individual rights are always referenced with "citizen."

The 2nd guarantees the rights of STATES to form militias. Thats why it says "well regulated militia" and then "the people's right shall not be infringed." It meant the state governments right to form militias shall not be infringed.

It got radically re interpreted to mean something it was never intended.

We still see the old interpretation used when we say things like "People's Republic of ____." It doesn't mean "one citizens republic of ___" we all recognize it means a government.

At the very least, we need to stop letting losers who can't get their own place to live buy firearms on credit cards. It should be like getting an apartment and a car - get liability insurance, prove you can pay it, and prove you are mentally competent yearly.

My father in law is blind and senile and still legally has his guns! He is in a gun nut state. He lives in a gated community but keeps it close by because he's convinced he's going to be robbed. Did I mention he's blind and senile?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 1:53 am

Right wing Incel websites like 4chan and 8chan

"I wanna shoot up a school"

Response from users "do it do it do it"

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 3:36 am

stratozyck wrote:
The 2nd guarantees the rights of STATES to form militias. Thats why it says "well regulated militia" and then "the people's right shall not be infringed." It meant the state governments right to form militias shall not be infringed.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed is about as unambiguous as it gets, regardless of what was said in the preface, it's the militia argument that is the strained interpretation requiring Olympic level mental gymnastics to arrive at.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 8:17 am

St. Louis school shooter bought gun from private seller after dealer sale was blocked, police say

Quote:
The shooter who killed two people at a St. Louis high school this week bought the rifle used in the attack from a private seller after he was blocked from buying a gun at a licensed dealer, police said Thursday.

The 19-year-old shooter was pronounced dead after a gunfight with police.

“On 10/8/22, the suspect attempted to buy a firearm from a licensed dealer in St. Charles, Missouri. An FBI background check successfully blocked this sale,” St. Louis Police Sgt. Charles Wall said in a statement.

“As a result, the suspect sought out and bought the rifle used in the school shooting from a private seller, who legally purchased the weapon from a federally licensed dealer in December 2020,” the police statement said.

Police did not say why the gunman, Orlando Harris, was blocked from buying a weapon by an FBI background check.

Police said no law would have prevented the sale from the private seller to the suspect in this case.

Police have described the gun as an AR-style .223-caliber rifle.

The gunman, who graduated from the school last year, had over 600 rounds of ammunition and left a note referring to mass shootings, police have said.

He entered the school around 9 a.m. Monday with the gun in what interim St. Louis Police Chief Mike Sack has said was an “aggressive, violent manner.” The suspect had seven magazines of ammunition on a chest rig and eight more in a field bag he carried, Sack said

He had mental health issues, and his family got him professional help, Sack has said.

The family called police on Oct. 15 after they found he had a gun and wanted it removed, police have said.

The family “worked with our department to transfer that to an adult who could legally possess one,” Sack said at a news conference Wednesday.

The gunman's mother has been fully cooperative with police, and “she is heartbroken for the families of this incident, for the school and the alumni," Sack said.

Police said Thursday that Missouri does not have a "red flag" law and that "officers did not have clear authority to temporarily seize the rifle when they responded to the suspect’s home when called by the suspect’s mother" on Oct. 15.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

beady
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 11:40 am

I think I recall from a long ago history lesson that back in the day - when the constitution was written - states would not have had the resources to provide weapons to citizens and depended on those citizens to show up for a militia with whatever weapon each person already owned.

A militia isn’t the same as a government organized military right? It’s more if a rapidly formed extra force made up of more volunteer or rapidly called up members.

Though this is from Wikipedia I think it sums it up pretty well -

“A militia (/mɪˈlɪʃə/) is generally an army or some other fighting organization of non-professional soldiers, citizens of a country, or subjects of a state, who may perform military service during a time of need, as opposed to a professional force of regular, full-time military personnel...”

So at that time states depended on their people to be as armed as possible.

Wasn’t there a lot more vigilante justice meted out as well?

So after centuries of defending ourselves I can see how individuals are reluctant to be unarmed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 8:40 pm

beady wrote:
Wasn’t there a lot more vigilante justice meted out as well?

Oh plenty. And the recipients of that vigilante justice number in the thousands since US independence with the perpetrators being enabled by dubious legal tools that permitted them to blend back in the population.

One of the worst miscarriages of justice happened very recently in 1979. It's called the Greensboro massacre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_massacre

5 protestors at a white supremacist rally were shot dead by heavily armed members of the KKK and American Nazi Party. Following multiple state and federal trials all the armed white militia were freed and worst of all their weapons were returned to them. Good o'l American gun laws.

The incident is thought to have enabled the rapid resurrection of armed far right groups in the 1980s and 90s who among other things pioneered the first use of internet social media to covertly keep in touch with one another, Another reason I don't use twitter or facebook as they literally arose from the social media networking sites started by race warriors.

The lax gun laws and miscarriage of justice enabled armed white groups who famously fought the FBI at WACO and Ruby Ridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge

Both of these battles spurred Timothy McVeight to commit an act of terrorism in Oklahoma killing 168 civilians including 19 toddlers at a day care centre,.

Throughout American history the ratio of murders committed by far right groups and white vigilante mobs starting with the KKK in the 1800s and to the modern era numbers in the thousands.

The number of people killed by anti-fascists = 1

It's a no-brainer who is the most dangerous

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2022, 1:00 pm

Dox47 wrote:
stratozyck wrote:

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed is about as unambiguous as it gets, regardless of what was said in the preface, it's the militia argument that is the strained interpretation requiring Olympic level mental gymnastics to arrive at.

And, I explained it. People = government, citizen - individual.

I don't know why I bother, you didn't even argue my point you must doubled down on the misinterpretation. People = plural = not an individual right but a collective one as in militia.

If we are going to be super strict what they meant as weapons was single shot muskets and not clip loading semi automatics.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 2:18 pm

stratozyck wrote:

And, I explained it. People = government, citizen - individual.

I don't know why I bother, you didn't even argue my point you must doubled down on the misinterpretation. People = plural = not an individual right but a collective one as in militia.

If we are going to be super strict what they meant as weapons was single shot muskets and not clip loading semi automatics.

You should have just said you have no idea what you're talking about, it would have saved time.

Also, because you're making that asinine argument that the founders didn't anticipate technological advances:

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion.He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up, Just as the founding fathers intended.