Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 6:04 am

The local paper did a write-up about me for autism week and in the article it said autism was a form of mental retardation. :x Seems as if there is still a lot of ignorance around the place.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

zee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:27 am

Ignorance is one thing, misinformation is something else. I hope you wrote in to correct them. The irony is that most Aspies have above-average IQs.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 9:01 am

zee wrote:
Ignorance is one thing, misinformation is something else. I hope you wrote in to correct them. The irony is that most Aspies have above-average IQs.
I wish now that I had but unfortunately at the time I was feeling very low and overwhelmed and didn't feel up to it.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 5:04 pm

zee wrote:
skahthic wrote:
Yahoo News

Thought this was interesting.

I agree that it's a poorly-written article, written by someone who doesn't really know or care what he's talking about, but is rather relaying information to the masses.
The cause of autism is unknown, and the author clearly does equate it with being ret*d. I have also read articles in the mainstream media that refer to autism as a mental illness. Furthermore, it implies that autism is only diagnosed in children. And finally, I would be interested to know how a mouse is diagnosed as autistic!

it is quite common for ignorants to confuse 'autism' with 'retardation'.
staff at the institution am used to live in used to say am was not autistic as am could use a computer,they said am had to be profoundly ret*d.

they probably said the mice were autistic from having the traits required for autism,it might not have the same cause as human autism but copies it.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 10:22 am

Yes, but what traits are those... the mice don't make eye contact? The mice stim? The mice have intense interests? What a load of crap. :?