1 Dead as car drives through Apple Store

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 3:25 pm

At least 1 dead, 16 injured after car drives through Massachusetts Apple store

Quote:
At least one person is dead and 16 people are injured after a car drove through an Apple store in Hingham, Massachusetts, Plymouth County District Attorney Tim Cruz said in a news conference Monday.

Around 10:45 a.m. numerous 911 calls came in for help at Derby Street Shops, Cruz said. Hingham police and fire personnel responded shortly thereafter to find several people injured at the Apple store, Cruz added.

“A dark-colored SUV appears, went through at a rate of speed undetermined, through a … glass window and struck multiple people,” Cruz said.

Responding units found “multiple patients injured out in front of the store and in the store, including a few patients that were pinned against the wall by the vehicle,” Hingham Fire Chief Steve Murhpy said during a news conference Monday.

Cruz said the investigation into the car crash is “active” and ongoing.

“Regarding the operator of the motor vehicle, we’re looking into that. Regarding the status of the motor vehicle, we’re looking into that,” Cruz said. The driver of the vehicle has not been taken to the hospital, according to Cruz.

“My understanding is he’s not been taken to the hospital as of yet,” Cruz said. “He is, right now, with police officers.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 6:45 pm

If Apple had released their electric car that would be a daily occurrence.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 12:38 pm

Man arrested after SUV drove through Massachusetts Apple store, leaving 1 dead and at least 20 injured

Quote:
The man accused of driving an SUV into a Hingham, Massachusetts, Apple store, killing one person and injuring 20 others, has been identified as Bradley Rein, a prosecutor’s office tweeted Tuesday.

The 53-year-old has been charged with “reckless homicide by motor vehicle,” the Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office said in the tweet. Rein was arrested Monday night and is scheduled to be arraigned in Hingham District Court, the tweet said without providing a date and time.

People were injured in front of the store and inside it, including victims who were pinned against the wall by the vehicle, Hingham Fire Chief Steve Murphy said. Seven fire engines and 14 ambulances responded, he said.

Police identified Kevin Bradley, 65, of New Jersey, as the victim killed at the scene, Cruz said, noting the investigation into the crash is active and ongoing.

First responder Dr. William Tollefsen, from South Shore Hospital in Weymouth, described using a restaurant near the Apple store to triage people and keep them out of the cold. The injured included people with head trauma and mangled limbs, he said.

South Shore was treating patients for life- and limb-threatening injuries, some of whom were still awaiting surgery Monday afternoon, said Dr. Christopher Burns, the hospital’s chief of trauma. The medical center was treating 17 patients from the crash as of Monday evening, Cruz’s office told CNN. Two other injured people initially taken to South Shore were transferred to hospitals in Boston.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 12:50 pm

Driver says:
"I was just trying to create a new contact on my iPhone for that guy on the radio who told me to call him. I just didn't see that big glass wall!"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 2:52 pm

Driver in deadly Massachusetts Apple Store crash says his foot got 'stuck on the accelerator,' attorney says

Quote:
An attorney representing a Massachusetts man who is facing charges after allegedly driving an SUV into an Apple Store in Hingham, killing one person and injuring 19 others, told a court Tuesday that he tried to brake but could not, as his foot "got stuck on the accelerator."

Bradley Rein, 53, pleaded not guilty to charges of motor vehicle homicide by reckless operation and reckless operation of a motor vehicle during an arraignment hearing at district court in Hingham.

“Although the outcome of this accident was horrific – and I don’t want to downplay that – it was just that. It was an accident," said Rein’s court-appointed attorney, identified by The Patriot Ledger newspaper as Alison King.

As you heard from his summary and the state police reports, Mr. Rein was very cooperative with the police, agreed to searches, to breathalyzers, to speaking with them. He was not under the influence of alcohol – he blew a 0.0 on a preliminary breathalyzer, and the blood draw should come back with nothing in his system as well," she continued.

As he explained, his foot got stuck on the accelerator – as he explained to me -- between the accelerator pedals and the side," the lawyer added. "He tried to move his foot and get it unstuck. He also tried to brake with his other foot while he was doing that, but he was unable to."

In a police report, Rein told State Trooper Andrew Chiachio following the crash that he drove to the strip mall where the Apple Store was located to repair a lens in his eyeglasses, which he was not wearing at the time of the incident, according to The Patriot Ledger.

"While driving in the area of Barnes and Noble, Mr. Rein stated his right foot became stuck on the accelerator and his vehicle accelerated," the newspaper quoted the trooper as writing. "Mr. Rein stated he used his left foot to try to brake, but was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed through the front of the Apple Store."

The father of two has no criminal record in Massachusetts, and a drunk driving charge he was hit with years ago in Vermont has been expunged, The Patriot Ledger added.

Rein’s bail has been set at $100,000.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 3:58 pm

These things happen periodically. I remember years ago seeing a storefront boarded up evidence of a vehicle having crashed through the area. Thankfully I doubt anyone was badly hurt or killed in that since I didn't hear anything about it.

It also happened to a cafe my brother was eating at, but thankfully that time also noone was injured or killed.

I do think vehicle barriers should be a more standard part of designing stores. It also makes since for an electronics store like that in particular from a loss prevention standpoint as people do use vehicles to ram stores after hours for burglaries.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 11:51 pm

I've heard of door crasher sales this time of year, but this is getting ridiculous..

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 11:16 am

The Target near us has huge cement spheres painted red and steel pipes filled with cement sticking up out of the sidewalk to help prevent this kind of thing. The faster the car might be going the bigger the mass you need to slow it down. There was a private home at the end of a long winding road which was also on a hill. In the front yard they had a big rock, it was on my old schoolbus route when I was a kid. The rock looked twice as tall and twice as wide as the schoolbus. I used to imagine the crash that must have happened before they decided to buy that huge rock.

My condolences to the families of those who were killed in the Apple store crash. Didn’t intend to be insensitive in my last post.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 5:23 pm

I didn't know Apple had opened a drive through store?

(Too soon?)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2022, 1:10 am

$100K bail for a middle aged guy with no criminal history being accused of an accident?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2022, 7:51 pm

He was frustrated with Apple support.