Indonesia to ban sex outside of marriage

Page 8 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 10:43 pm

Bali is in Indonesia—but the people aren’t Muslim there, and the government isn’t influential. It’s a whole different place than Jakarta, Java. And you can get luxurious accommodations for really cheap.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 11:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Bali is in Indonesia—but the people aren’t Muslim there, and the government isn’t influential. It’s a whole different place than Jakarta, Java. And you can get luxurious accommodations for really cheap.

I know -- I know people who went to Bali and the pictures were beautiful.
I'm not blaming Islam, either.
I've just never had an interest in going to that part of the world.
Australia was going to be my tipping point.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 11:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Bali used to be hindu majority with only 1% muslim population but as it's the most popular tourist destination in the world the sneaky Indonesian government has been flying in unemployed muslim settlers over the past few decades so now the demographics is now 11% muslim. That should be enough to enforce any national edicts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 11:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've just never had an interest in going to that part of the world.
Australia was going to be my tipping point.

If you do visit for the first time then Singapore is probably place to get a taste of South East Asia as it's high tech, clean and developed on par with the Asian tigers (South Korea, Taiwan and Japan). Then it's a hop, step and a jump to the shores of Australia which is merely a few hours away.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 11:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
If you do visit for the first time then Singapore is probably place to get a taste of South East Asia as it's high tech, clean and developed on par with the Asian tigers (South Korea, Taiwan and Japan). Then it's a hop, step and a jump to the shores of Australia which is merely a few hours away.

My son lived in Japan before moving to AUS, and he's been to Taiwan and Singapore.
I think I'd stay in Changi if I were to go. :P

I was supposed to go to AUS with my brother in September, but I couldn't go because I got Covid, and my mother was really ill at that time.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 11:55 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

My son lived in Japan before moving to AUS, and he's been to Taiwan and Singapore.
I think I'd stay in Changi if I were to go. :P

I was supposed to go to AUS with my brother in September, but I couldn't go because I got Covid, and my mother was really ill at that time.

Oh what a shame, did your brother come over?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 11:57 pm

Yes he did, and he loved it. He's hoping to retire there now, rather than Philippines.
Unfortunately he lost his eyesight two or three days after returning home.
Now the entire future has been turned on its head.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 12:05 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yes he did, and he loved it. He's hoping to retire there now, rather than Philippines.
Unfortunately he lost his eyesight two or three days after returning home.
Now the entire future has been turned on its head.

eek! lost his eyesight?? your family sounds like somebody threw a curse! so sorry about all his bad luck

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 12:31 am

We're beyond cursed. It's unfathomable how much shite befalls my little family.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 12:48 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
We're beyond cursed. It's unfathomable how much shite befalls my little family.

I'm so sorry. Well here's a song dedicated to your family Isabella

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 12:54 am

lmao, thanks cyber. ^

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 5:12 am

Singapore is just too…..urban.

Going to a city is not a vacation for me.

Indonesia needs Bali for the “tourist dollar.”

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 5:52 am

If you are travelling from the US then Singapore is a nice way to acclimatise to south east Asia before trekking into the jungles

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:24 am

Fnord wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I will stop being a feminist when women and men are treated equally.
When a man can walk into Divorce Court wearing a mini-skirt and a see-through blouse, sit down, cross his legs, wink at the judge, and walk out with the house, the kids, and half of his wife’s salary for the next 30 years, THEN we will have equality of the sexes.

That's been happening for many centuries though- a couple get divorced, the husband gets everything and the wife has no legal or financial rights so she is left with nothing. It's only recently that women have even been able to own property and keep their own money, instead of everything automatically going to the husband when they get married.

Probably not with the man wearing that outfit though :lol:

Women literally belonged to men for centuries- firstly their fathers who would marry them off to someone 'suitable'. Then they belonged to their husbands. And if the husband died, the eldest son would be head of the household and deal with his mother any way he saw fit.

I would not want a situation where men belonged to women- their mothers, then wives, then eldest daughter. Can you imagine how awful that would be? But that is how life used to be, but the other way round.

Last edited by KitLily on 10 Dec 2022, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the US, there are "colleges" which are components of universities, like Cambridge and Oxford have colleges (e.g., "the College of Dentistry at New York University."

We have both "2-year" and "4-year" colleges which confer university degrees, but they are their own entity, and are not part of a university (e.g., Marymount Manhattan College, where I got my bachelors).

The 2-year colleges never confer bachelors degrees, though---only associates degrees, and you can transfer to a 4-year college with an associates degree. Some people start in 2-year colleges (usually known as "community colleges"). Some people actually start in 4-year colleges.

In both 2-year and 4-year colleges, there are certificate programs where you could obtain vocational-type qualifications, though in practice most of these programs are within 2-year colleges.

It is so confusing.

In England, we have different systems.

Either: Infant school (4-8), Junior school (8-11) and Senior school (11-16)
Or: First school (4-8), Middle school (8-12) and Secondary school (12-16)
Or: Primary school (4-11), and Secondary school (11-16)

Some schools have an attached Sixth Form (16-18) and some schools don't. So their students have to go to a Further Education College (16-18).

Then they all end up going to university (18+) or some other type of education or getting a job.

So confusing! I couldn't tell you what they do in Wales, Scotland and Ireland, they all have different systems again!

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 12:51 pm

KitLily wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
In the US, there are "colleges" which are components of universities, like Cambridge and Oxford have colleges (e.g., "the College of Dentistry at New York University."

We have both "2-year" and "4-year" colleges which confer university degrees, but they are their own entity, and are not part of a university (e.g., Marymount Manhattan College, where I got my bachelors).

The 2-year colleges never confer bachelors degrees, though---only associates degrees, and you can transfer to a 4-year college with an associates degree. Some people start in 2-year colleges (usually known as "community colleges"). Some people actually start in 4-year colleges.

In both 2-year and 4-year colleges, there are certificate programs where you could obtain vocational-type qualifications, though in practice most of these programs are within 2-year colleges.

It is so confusing.

In England, we have different systems.

Either: Infant school (4-8), Junior school (8-11) and Senior school (11-16)
Or: First school (4-8), Middle school (8-12) and Secondary school (12-16)
Or: Primary school (4-11), and Secondary school (11-16)

Some schools have an attached Sixth Form (16-18) and some schools don't. So their students have to go to a Further Education College (16-18).

Then they all end up going to university (18+) or some other type of education or getting a job.

So confusing! I couldn't tell you what they do in Wales, Scotland and Ireland, they all have different systems again!

Here in South Africa, the 16-18 group would be called High School, while college normally refers to some kind of tertiary education, ( e.g. university or a technikon (technical college)), but you usually only do it when you're over 18. That's why I was confused when you said that your daughter was going to college at 16.