Indonesia to ban sex outside of marriage

Page 9 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 5:58 pm

KitLily wrote:
Women literally belonged to men for centuries- firstly their fathers who would marry them off to someone 'suitable'. Then they belonged to their husbands. And if the husband died, the eldest son would be head of the household and deal with his mother any way he saw fit..

That's basically how human society evolved all over the world. In Europe and America it was like that till virtually the 1960s.
My grandmother caused a local stir back in the 1930s when she eloped with my grandfather. The outcome is that my grandmother's side of the family still do not talk to us or even acknowledge us in 2022!!

If anyone needs a reminder how women were thought of....these images were created within my lifetime. Every image tells a story of how women's treatment by men was normalised in our own societies and this type of advertising lasted till at least the early 1970s. It wasn;t that long ago we weren't much better than the Indonesians.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:20 am

Jono wrote:
Here in South Africa, the 16-18 group would be called High School, while college normally refers to some kind of tertiary education, ( e.g. university or a technikon (technical college)), but you usually only do it when you're over 18. That's why I was confused when you said that your daughter was going to college at 16.

No that's okay. I thought you were taking the mickey at first, then I looked at where you live and assumed you had a different system of schooling.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Women literally belonged to men for centuries- firstly their fathers who would marry them off to someone 'suitable'. Then they belonged to their husbands. And if the husband died, the eldest son would be head of the household and deal with his mother any way he saw fit..

That's basically how human society evolved all over the world. In Europe and America it was like that till virtually the 1960s.
My grandmother caused a local stir back in the 1930s when she eloped with my grandfather. The outcome is that my grandmother's side of the family still do not talk to us or even acknowledge us in 2022!!

If anyone needs a reminder how women were thought of....these images were created within my lifetime. Every image tells a story of how women's treatment by men was normalised in our own societies and this type of advertising lasted till at least the early 1970s. It wasn;t that long ago we weren't much better than the Indonesians.

Yes indeed. And still today in some countries, women are still in the same position- they belong to their fathers/husbands/sons.

So as I said, that's why I'm a feminist. I don't know why 'feminist' has become a dirty word but we need feminism to keep going. We don't want to go back to women being mere possessions.

For example, for many, many centuries, if a man raped a woman, he would have to apologise and pay damages TO HER FATHER/HUSBAND/SON. Not the actual woman who was violated. And this is still happening in some countries...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 3:12 pm

KitLily wrote:
For example, for many, many centuries, if a man raped a woman, he would have to apologise and pay damages TO HER FATHER/HUSBAND/SON. Not the actual woman who was violated. And this is still happening in some countries...

In Indonesia and a number of other countries in the developed world, a raped woman can face the same consequences as a rapist.

For example, tourists flock to Dubai but never realise how dangerous it is, particularly if you are female
https://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/20/worl ... index.html

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 12:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

In Indonesia and a number of other countries in the developed world, a raped woman can face the same consequences as a rapist.

For example, tourists flock to Dubai but never realise how dangerous it is, particularly if you are female

Yes. And it is not fair, right or just. Equality is very far from happening.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 10:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

In some red states, if a woman is raped and gets pregnant, and decides to get an abortion, she can face more severe punishment than the person who raped her.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 10:17 am

I'm not exactly sure what I am. I don't espouse any particular attitude towards either sex. But, if someone becomes overbearing, I rebel. It doesn't matter if they're male or female. I will not ask anyone to behave in any way, and I don't want to be asked to behave in any specific way. I will do what I feel is right in any given situation. And there may be some women who disagree with what I feel is right.

Now, if someone hits me, they're gettin' it. I will not put up with being assaulted if I have not hit anyone myself. And I have never assaulted anyone physically.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.