U.S. House needs economic growth coalition ? ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 2:13 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/live-update ... 022-01-05/

For the 7th time in a couple of days, the Republican majority in the U.S. House of Representatives has failed to elect a Speaker.

Although the above news item says it’s not just 5 so-called “Freedom Caucus” members, it’s 19 members who voted for Byron Donalds, plus two other Republicans casting non-Kevin McCarthy votes.

Confusing!

I say maybe pick either a conservative Democrat or a liberal Republican as a centrist candidate.

Maybe make the unifying focus on economic growth and infrastructure.

It’s not middle-of-the-road immigration reform [and please remember, in 1986 even Ronald Reagan signed an immigration bill which included an amnesty component]. It’s not sensible gun laws which the majority of citizens want.

But economics are important, too. And a rising tide does lift all boats, or at least the vast majority of votes. And then, we can have social infrastructure, etc.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:18 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64170729

Quote:
3. The two parties agree on compromise candidate

Democrats and Republicans in the Ohio state House of Representatives joined together on Tuesday to reject a more conservative speaker and elect a moderate compromise candidate. Could such a thing happen in the US House of Representatives, as well?

There's been plenty of such speculation, as Mr McCarthy's predicament became clearer in recent days. Some of that has been fanned by his supporters as a warning for conservative hard-liners to fall in line, but some of it is real.

Don Bacon, a centrist Republican from Nebraska, has previously expressed an openness to working with Democrats to elect a compromise speaker if Mr McCarthy fails. Fred Upton, a former Republican congressman from Michigan with moderate credentials, has expressed an openness to presenting himself as a coalition pick (there is no requirement that a speaker has to be a current member of Congress). And there's been some talk of sweeteners for Democrats, like rule changes that would allow them to introduce legislation or more committee power.

All of this would require a sizeable number of Democrats to go along with the plan, which in today's sharply divided partisan environment seems unlikely in the extreme. And any Republican who works with Democrats will instantly be persona non grata among most conservatives.

Given that the House is already in uncharted territory by modern standards, however, no options are too far-fetched at this point.

Like they’re saying . . unlikely.

But I personally favor it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:57 pm

I mean it sounds like they still need to even decide on a speaker of the house before they can even attempt to do anything like that.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 11:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean it sounds like they still need to even decide on a speaker of the house . . .

Well, this might be how they get out of the pickle and decide upon a speaker.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 3:03 am

I dunno if it needs anything.. it seems to be functioning exactly as intended - as WWE style soap opera drama polititainment for the people.

Isn't that what this is all supposed to be about? Seems that way.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 3:09 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean it sounds like they still need to even decide on a speaker of the house . . .

Well, this might be how they get out of the pickle and decide upon a speaker.

Well I hope they don't decide on one.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 3:15 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 7:35 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I dunno if it needs anything.. it seems to be functioning exactly as intended - as WWE style soap opera drama polititainment for the people.

Isn't that what this is all supposed to be about? Seems that way.

Do things work better in Canada? And I’m serious, and I hope that they do.

In the U.S., the House of Representatives is supposed to be the people’s branch. Not just a bunch of extremists yelling, I guess trying to build their brand and get on Fox News or a radio slot.

So, Kevin McCarthy gets the speakership.

After making promises to extremists that he should not have had to make.

==========

And we lose another opportunity to build a political party of the middle.