Mitch McConnell hospitalized after fall

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 11:10 am

The Hill

Quote:
Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell was hospitalized after tripping at a local hotel, a spokesman for the senator said.

The Kentucky senator, who’s 81, was attending a private dinner in Washington on Wednesday when he tripped. He was admitted to a hospital for treatment, spokesman Doug Andres said. The dinner was at the Waldorf Astoria Washington DC, formerly the Trump International Hotel, Washington D.C.

McConnell’s office did not provide additional detail on his condition or how long he may be absent from the Senate.

In 2019, the GOP leader tripped and fell at his home in Kentucky, suffering a shoulder fracture. At the time, he underwent surgery to repair the fracture in his shoulder. The Senate had just started a summer recess, and he worked from home for some weeks as he recovered.

First elected in 1984, McConnell in January became the longest-serving Senate leader when the new Congress convened, breaking the previous record of 16 years.

The taciturn McConnell is often reluctant to discuss his private life. But at the start of the COVID-19 crisis he opened up about his early childhood experience fighting polio. He described how his mother insisted that he stay off his feet as a toddler and worked with him through a determined physical therapy regime. He has acknowledged some difficulty in adulthood climbing stairs.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said on the Senate floor Thursday morning that he had called McConnell and spoken with his staff “to extend my prayers and well wishes.”
“I joined every single one of my colleagues in wishing Leader McConnell a speedy and full recovery,” Schumer said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 11:22 am

I would pray for him too, though I don't think he'd like what I'd pray for given how much I despise this man.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 12:29 pm

Mitch McConnell remains hospitalized after fall at DC hotel

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 3b48&ei=12

Quote:
The hotel where the fall occurred, sources said, was the Waldorf Astoria, formerly the Trump International Hotel.

A former Trump hotel. No wonder Mitch fell, the place was already jinxed.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 12:33 pm

RoadRatt wrote:

A former Trump hotel. No wonder Mitch fell, the place was already jinxed.

The irony. :twisted:

Quote:
The Tower is commonly interpreted as meaning danger, crisis, destruction, and liberation. It is associated with sudden unforseen change.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 6:28 pm

McConnell suffered concussion in fall, will remain hospitalized for several days

Quote:
enate Republican leader Mitch McConnell suffered a concussion after tripping at a Washington hotel on Wednesday and is expected to remain hospitalized for several days, a spokesman for the senator said.

The senator from Kentucky, 81, was attending a private dinner when he tripped. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.

"Leader McConnell tripped at a dinner event Wednesday evening and has been admitted to the hospital and is being treated for a concussion. He is expected to remain in the hospital for a few days of observation and treatment," spokesman David Popp said Thursday. "The Leader is grateful to the medical professionals for their care and to his colleagues for their warm wishes."

On Wednesday evening, McConnell appeared at a reception and separate private dinner hosted by the Senate Leadership Fund, a super PAC he launched to help elect Republicans to the Senate. He first appeared in the Franklin Room ballroom at the Waldorf Astoria and hosted a separate dinner afterward in the hotel for the PAC's largest donors.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell walks to the Senate floor at the U.S. Capitol on March 6, 2023.aSenate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell walks to the Senate floor at the U.S. Capitol on March 6, 2023.Congressional Lawmakers Return To Capitol Hill After The Weekend

The Senate Leadership Fund was the largest TV and digital ad spender last fall in the most-critical U.S. Senate contests, spending more than $170 million on advertising in the closing months in Georgia, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

One person who attended the reception told CBS News that McConnell "was good, walking around" and greeting donors before addressing the crowd.

President Biden told reporters he's spoken to McConnell's family, and thinks the senator is going to be alright.

GOP senators on Capitol Hill expressed their optimism that McConnell would make a full recovery and return to the Senate soon.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 4:51 pm

McConnell discharged from the hospital after receiving treatment for a concussion

Quote:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., was "discharged from the hospital today," his communications director, David Popp, said in a statement Monday.

"At the advice of his physician, the next step will be a period of physical therapy at an inpatient rehabilitation facility before he returns home," Popp said. "Over the course of treatment this weekend, the Leader’s medical team discovered that he also suffered a minor rib fracture on Wednesday, for which he is also being treated."

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 5:00 pm

They might as well pickle the guy so he'll never expire because once he's gone he's going to be replaced by an even worst Republican who panders to Trumpism I'm sure.