Georgia grand jury report on Trump election interference

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 2:08 pm

Judge orders partial release of Georgia grand jury report on possible 2020 election crimes

Quote:
A judge in Georgia has ordered public release on Thursday of a special grand jury’s report that focuses on whether former President Donald Trump broke state law by pressuring local officials to change the 2020 presidential election results.

However, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney said he doesn’t plan–for now–to release the bulk of the grand jury’s work, including the parts that address potential criminal liability for Trump or other individuals.

In an order released Monday morning responding to requests from media organizations for access to the special grand jury’s report, McBurney said he intends to put the introduction and conclusion to the summation on the public record this week, along with a portion of the report discussion about potential false statements made to the grand jury under oath.

McBurney ruled that aspects of the report that recommend whether to indict — or not indict — specific individuals should remain private for now in part because those individuals are not afforded the same due process rights during the grand jury process they would have in court if they’re charged.

While witnesses were permitted to have their lawyers nearby during the grand-jury proceedings, those lawyers were not permitted to sit in on the interviews to help mount a defense or rebut questions from prosecutors and grand jurors.

Under Georgia law, special grand juries cannot return indictments, but their results can be used by prosecutors to take a case before a regular grand jury to seek criminal charges.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 12:51 pm

What are they gonna do, release a recording of trump literally committing the crime on the phone ?? Oh, wait, that's already been publicly available for a year or two.

Would be nice if there were some sort of criminal justice system in the USA that charged criminals with crimes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:09 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
What are they gonna do, release a recording of trump literally committing the crime on the phone ?? Oh, wait, that's already been publicly available for a year or two.

Would be nice if there were some sort of criminal justice system in the USA that charged criminals with crimes.

If you asked me a year ago I would and did say no way he gets indicted, he has always skated away and always will. Now I would be surprised if he is not indicted on something by the time the primaries start next year. Being indicted for the stolen documents seems out but escaping indictments between Georgia, New York, and trying to undo the election seems impossible.

But indictment is not a conviction and conviction is not jail time. Prosecuting him seems more problematic the closer to the election we come. I am far from sure indictment(s) will doom his chances, it could well have the opposite effect by making him seem more like a martyr. That is what the House lets trash the FBI hearings are all about. Conventional wisdom is that Trump has a shot at the nomination but will lose in the general election. I don’t assume that. At the moment Biden is doing well but it is only modestly lessoning his unpopularity. If it is a 2020 rerun one health scare would be catastrophic. In 2020 he got away with staying home and not campaigning much. Now with the pandemic supposedly over he won’t be able to get away with that. If it is not Biden who?

The people prosecuting him have time problems, the election and his health. If there are multiple indictments figuring out who goes first would mean more delays. If time runs out without him bring jailed he skated. The prosecutors know that. The standards of proof for indicting him is a lot higher then in a normal case, the country can’t afford an acquittal. A rushed indictment makes it easier for mistakes to be made.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 4:57 pm

See what I mean?

Justice at a glacial pace…..

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 2:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
See what I mean?

Justice at a glacial pace…..

As long as those wheels just keep on turning and the bones of trumplestiltskin are inevitably crushed between them I don't care how much time it takes. If that's the American system that has to play out for him to finally face consequences for his crime spree & lose his empire built upon fraud and theft from American taxpayers, then so be it, take your sweet time and chip away at trump and his corporate holdings for as long as it takes. Might be a fate worse than jail for him to lose, lose again, keep losing, and watch what he's stolen from others be slowly taken away from him.. while realizing that his legacy is as a failure in all aspects of his life - business, politics, marriage, family etc - watching him coming to terms with the fact that he's a loser would be more satisfying than seeing him in handcuffs and an orange jumpsuit.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 3:24 pm

Georgia grand jury recommends perjury indictments in Trump election meddling probe

Quote:
A Georgia grand jury looking into possible election meddling by former President Donald Trump said “one or more witnesses” may have lied under oath and urged prosecutors to pursue criminal indictments in those cases.

The special grand jury also found no significant fraud in Georgia’s 2020 presidential election won by President Joe Biden, according to portions of the final report on its monthslong investigation unsealed Thursday.

The grand jury was impaneled in May to investigate whether Trump, his lawyers and political allies committed any crimes in pressuring state officials to overturn the election in his favor, but Fulton County Judge Robert McBurney withheld those conclusions until prosecutors are ready to release the full report at a later time.

The panel was looking at, among other things, a Jan. 2, 2021, call in which Trump asked Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to “find 11,780 votes,” which is what the former president would have needed to win the state and its 16 Electoral College votes.

Raffensperger refused to comply with Trump’s request.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 6:32 pm

Could grand juror’s words tank charges?

Quote:
Almost as soon as the foreperson of the special grand jury in the Georgia election meddling investigation went public this week, speculation began about whether her unusually candid revelations could jeopardize any possible prosecution of former President Donald Trump or others.

Emily Kohrs first spoke out in an interview published Tuesday by The Associated Press, a story that was followed by interviews in other print and television news outlets. In detailed commentary, she described some of what happened behind the closed doors of the jury room — how witnesses behaved, how prosecutors interacted with them, how some invoked their constitutional right not to answer certain questions.

Lawyers for Trump say the revelations offered by Kohrs shattered the credibility of the entire special grand jury investigation. People hoping to see the former president indicted worried on social media that Kohrs may have tanked a case against the former president. But experts said that while Kohrs’ chattiness in news interviews probably aggravated Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, who’s leading the investigation, they were not legally damaging.

Willis likely “wishes that this woman hadn’t gone on the worldwide tour that she did,” said Amy Lee Copeland, a former federal prosecutor and criminal defense attorney in Georgia who’s not involved in the case. “But is this a headache that is grinding the machine to a halt? It’s not. It’s just one of the many frustrations that attends the practice of law.”

Trump’s attorneys in Georgia, however, are jumping on the interviews.

Drew Findling and Jennifer Little, who represent Trump in the Fulton County case, said they’ve had concerns about the panel’s proceedings from the start but have kept quiet out of respect for the grand jury process. After Kohrs’ interviews, they felt compelled to speak out.

“The end product is, the reliability of anything that has taken place in there is completely tainted and called into question,” Findling said. But he also said he wasn’t attacking “a 30-year-old foreperson.”

“She’s a product of a circus that cloaked itself as a special purpose grand jury,” he said.

Findling and Little hadn’t filed any challenges in the case by Thursday but said they’re “resolute” as to Trump’s innocence and keeping their options open.

“We’re considering everything and anything to look after the interests of our client,” he said.

Willis’ office has declined to comment on Kohrs’ media appearances, other than to say they weren’t aware ahead of time that she planned to give interviews. Spokesperson Jeff DiSantis also declined Thursday to comment on the statements from Trump’s attorneys.

The former president’s lawyers expressed concern that the special grand jury had been allowed to watch and read news coverage of the case and was aware of some witnesses’ efforts not to testify. Kohrs said prosecutors told the jurors they could read and watch the news but urged them to keep open minds.

Kohrs also shared numerous anecdotes from the proceedings that she found amusing and was very expressive in television interviews, sometimes laughing or making faces.

“It’s not a joking matter,” Findling said. “It’s not a matter for giggles. It’s not a matter for smiles.”

Findling and Little said the district attorney’s office, which advised the special grand jury, should have better educated the grand jurors about the solemnity of the process and the rules and limitations.

“That tone and that rhetoric begins from the top down, and that was set by the district attorney’s office,” Little said.

Though Kohrs did not publicly name anyone the special grand jury recommended for possible indictment, Trump’s lawyers said she seemed to implicate him in response to questions.

They also said the judge overseeing the special grand jury could have instructed or strongly suggested that the grand jurors not speak publicly until the panel’s full final report was made public. Several parts of the report were released last week, but Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney said any section that recommended specific charges for specific people would remain secret for now.

During a hearing last month, a lawyer for a coalition of news outlets, including the AP, urged the immediate release of the full report.

In the federal system, grand jurors are prohibited from talking about what witnesses say or anything that happens in the room. But the Georgia special grand jury oath says only that they cannot talk about their deliberations.

Trump lawyer Little said she believes some of what Kohrs discussed in interviews was in fact part of deliberations, including when she talked about the credibility of some witnesses, decisions to recommend multiple indictments and the reasons why the grand jurors did not seek to bring Trump in to testify.

Copeland, the former federal prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, noted that Kohrs was cautious — consulting a notebook where she’d written the judge’s instructions before answering some questions — and didn’t describe the discussion and debate that led to the special grand jury’s outcomes.

“I wish she really hadn’t talked about anything,” Copeland added. “But she doesn’t talk about the deliberations. She doesn’t talk about the votes. She simply talks about other things that were happening in the grand jury session.”

University of Georgia law professor emeritus Ron Carlson said that if Kohrs had revealed the names of anyone for whom the special grand jury recommended charges, it’s possible those people could try to use that as grounds to dismiss an indictment. But he wasn’t optimistic about the chances for success.

“I think that any kind of motion to dismiss an indictment based on her comments would have an uphill battle,” Carlson said.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 9:42 pm

Grand jury heard phone call of Trump pressuring Georgia speaker to overturn Biden's victory

Quote:
The Fulton County special grand jury heard a phone call between former President Donald Trump and Georgia House Speaker David Ralston as part of its investigation into efforts to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia, the jury's foreperson, Emily Kohrs, told NBC News on Wednesday.

During the December call, Trump attempted to pressure the then-speaker into calling a special legislative session to overturn President Joe Biden’s victory in the battleground state, Kohrs said.

The call recording, which was first reported by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, lasted about 10 minutes, Kohrs said. She recalled that Trump asked Ralston who would stop him from holding a special session. According to Kohrs, Ralston responded, “A federal judge, that’s who.”

Ralston, a Republican who spent more than a decade as Georgia's House speaker, died in November.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 5:10 pm

Trump Might Face Criminal Charges—But He’s Unlikely to Face Justice Elie Mystel for The Nation

Quote:
Department of Justice investigations into disgraced water salesman Donald Trump meander toward their politically inert conclusions, the state-level investigations into Trump’s various suspected crimes appear headed toward inflection points. In New York, Attorney General Letitia James’s investigation into the Trump Organization continues apace, while the Manhattan district attorney has extended an invitation to Trump to testify about his hush-money payments to Stormy Daniels. Trump’s lawyer in that case, Joseph Tacopina, has popped up all over cable news this week making clownish claims, as if to prove that Trump continues to hire legal counsel based on their subway ads.

Still, it’s the investigation into Trump’s attempted election fraud in Georgia that is poised to put Trump in the most immediate legal jeopardy. A special grand jury convened in Fulton County to look into the assorted efforts Republicans made to overturn the 2020 presidential election results in that state has concluded its work. According to leaks, the grand jury recommended numerous charges, not just against Trump but also potentially against his associates and the individuals who participated in the “fake electors” scheme.

These leaks further revealed that the grand jury heard another Trump phone call, this one to David Ralston, the recently deceased former speaker of Georgia’s House. In this call, Trump tried to pressure Ralston into calling a special session of the legislature so it could overturn the results of the Georgia election. The previously unreported call adds to the evidence that Trump and his allies waged a pressure campaign to change the election results, despite there being no credible evidence of fraud to support those efforts.

Should Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis choose to pursue charges, Trump could be on the hook for a number of crimes, including: election fraud; tampering with an official proceeding; criminal solicitation (ie, asking others to commit election fraud); a number of crimes related to their run-of-the-mill lying; and even violating RICO, the law created to catch mobsters who order crimes but never do the dirty work themselves. The penalties for most of these crimes include prison time. Willis says her decision is “imminent.”

Many of those eager to see Trump face any form of accountability rightly believe the state-level prosecutions are closer to indicting him than anything happening at the federal level. But that doesn’t mean they’re particularly close to bringing Trump to justice. Should Willis charge Trump with any crimes, the fascist-defense legal-media complex will immediately go into overdrive. Legislators in Georgia’s Republican-controlled House of Representatives have already passed a bill that would allow special panels to remove “rogue” prosecutors—or, perhaps, those, like Fani Willis, who fail to show appropriate deference to the MAGA machine.

Meanwhile, Trump lawyers are threatening to try to “quash” indictments brought against Trump because so much information has already leaked from the grand jury, especially the jury forewoman.

But since those leaks don’t show premeditated bias from the grand jury (there’s no evidence that the grand jury wanted to charge Trump before>they heard all the evidence against Trump), and since the actual charging decision in this case is held by the district attorney, and since any actual indictment will involve Willis convening a different grand jury specifically for the purposes of bringing indictments, the leaks are not a credible reason to quash indictments, should they ever get here.

Still, as everyone should know by now, the Trump legal team and his allied forces are not interested in credible legal arguments; they’re interested only in saying whatever they can to prevent or delay accountability. Moving to quash the indictments could force delay, even if Trump’s bad arguments are eventually dismissed. Removing Fani Willis from the case wouldn’t immediately end the investigation (though it could, if Georgia Republicans find some corrupt Trump ally to take over her office), but it would force a massive pause as a new prosecutor would need a lot of time to get ready for trial.

It’s obvious why Trump might want all of this. His only goal is to get to the next election. Even though Willis seems less cowed than Merrick Garland by the political weight of holding a former president accountable, she’s been willing to make reasonable and appropriate accommodations for political realities. She promised that her office would produce no news about indictments in the immediate run up to the midterm elections, and she didn’t. If Trump is able to delay the trial to around a year from now, I seriously doubt that Willis (or any other prosecutor) will set a trial date for that time—not when the Georgia Republican presidential primary is scheduled to be held on March 26, 2024. If a trial doesn’t happen before the end of this year, it likely won’t happen till after that primary, at the earliest.

All of this means Willis could find herself trying to bring the Republican presidential candidate to trial for election fraud after he’s already wrapped up the nomination and is in full campaign mode. Honestly, I don’t even know how that works. How do you do jury selection? Are Trump voters allowed on the jury? Are Biden voters? Wouldn’t every Trump campaign ad in Georgia—which is a “battleground” state now—be a form of juror tampering? How do you find impartial jurors about election fraud in the middle of a presidential election among a pool of jurors who had the opportunity to vote for the criminal defendant just weeks before?

None of that is to say that Willis shouldn’t proceed. If she has sufficient evidence that Trump committed crimes, she must charge him. She has no choice. Not charging him would be an even greater capitulation to politics than bringing him to trial during a political election.

While I’d like to tell you that Trump is close to paying for his crimes, this is no fairy-tale world. Trump’s legal strategy of delay is very likely to work. He is very likely to escape accountability—again—even should this diligent and thorough investigation result in charges.

The Georgia investigation puts him in the most legal peril yet: We have the man on tape committing the crime he should be charged with. And yet, Trump is still the odds-on favorite to get away with it. “The system” has never been able to sufficiently protect us from Trump, and I don’t think it’s about to start now.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 5:56 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

There is, but it doesn't work the same with everybody. Because he is white and wealthy, he may not get much punishment. If he had been black and poor, they would lock him up for all eternity.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 1:18 pm

NBC News Live Updates

Quote:
Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis has been ordered to respond by May 1 to Trump’s motion last week to squash the special grand jury’s report on whether there were any “coordinated attempts to unlawfully alter the outcome of the 2020 elections” in the battleground state by Trump and his allies.

Judge Robert McBurney, the supervising judge overseeing the special purpose grand jury, issued the order this morning to Willis. He also directed Willis’ team to include an opinion on whether Trump’s motion requires a hearing.

The district attorney’s office told NBC News last week it would respond to Trump’s motion, and the order by McBurney puts a deadline on that response.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 5:49 pm

Georgia DA weighing Trump indictment is 'watching' Manhattan

Quote:
Fulton County, Georgia, DA Fani Willis' office said it is "watching" how the arraignment unfolds in Manhattan this week, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Willis’ office, the Atlanta Police Department and the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office are monitoring security measures and protests, a source familiar with the matter said. Willis’ office is not in communication with Bragg’s office, however, the source said, emphasizing that “the two cases are totally separate.”

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 7:57 pm

Watching to make notes on security requirements when they drop bad news on trump and his cult members.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 7:48 pm

Georgia prosecutor to reveal charging decisions in Trump probe this summer

Quote:
Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis said Monday that she'll announce charging decisions stemming from her probe into possible interference in the 2020 election by former President Donald Trump and his allies as early as mid-July.

Willis said the charging decisions will be revealed during the state Superior Court’s fourth term, which begins July 11 and ends Sept. 1.

The timeline is the clearest that Willis has given about potential indictments since she said in January that an announcement was “imminent.”

“In the near future, I will announce charging decisions resulting from the investigation my office has been conducting into possible criminal interference in the administration of Georgia’s 2020 general election,” Willis wrote in a letter Monday to Fulton County Sheriff Patrick Labat.

She said “the need for vigilance will increase” during that time period.

“Open-source intelligence has indicated the announcement of decisions in this case may provoke significant public reaction,” Willis wrote. “We have seen in recent years that some may go outside of public expressions of opinion that are protected by the First Amendment to engage in acts of violence that will endanger the safety of our community. As leaders, it is incumbent on us to prepare.”

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 10:11 pm

It’s a bit long to wait if they’ve already made decisions.. buuut I guess it’ll be Christmas in July. :santa:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 7:30 pm

Trump Elector Immunity Signals 'Significant Evidence': Ex-U.S. Attorney

Quote:
At least eight of the false Georgia Republican electors who declared then-President Donald Trump the winner of the 2020 election despite his certified loss in the state have accepted immunity deals offered by prosecutors as part of Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis' investigation, according to recent court filings.

Another key component of Willis' investigation includes the group of Trump electors who met on December 14, 2020, to declare Trump the winner, despite Georgia Governor Brian Kemp having already certified Biden's victory. According to a court briefing filed on Friday by attorney Kimberly Debrow, who is representing the fake electors, Willis offered eight out of the 16 electors immunity deals last month in exchange for their testimony before a grand jury.

The immunity offers are likely a sign that the electors "have significant evidence to offer" in Willis' investigation, said former U.S. attorney Joyce Alene. Willis recently indicated that she will be ready to issue potential indictments related to her case as soon as July.

"Prosecutors don't hand out immunity deals just for nothing," Alene wrote on Twitter in response to a Washington Post report regarding the immunity offers. "This signals the cooperators have significant evidence to offer, whether about an internal Georgia conspiracy re fake slates of electors or a larger conspiracy involving [Trump's former Chief of Staff Mark] Meadows, [Trump's former lawyer Rudy] Giuliani, Trump, etc., remains to be seen."

Georgia GOP Chairman David Schafer, who served as a Trump elector in his state, was not offered an immunity deal from Willis. Schafer is also facing a subpoena in the Department of Justice investigation into Trump's alleged plan to overturn the 2020 election.

Willis indicated in a letter to local law enforcement last month that her office will be announcing charging decisions resulting from her investigation during the Fulton County Superior Court's fourth term, which takes place from July 11 to September 1.