Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 11:27 am

Nicola Sturgeon has issued a statement shortly after being arrested during a police investigation into the SNP's finances.

Scotland's longest-serving First Minister, who stepped down in March, is in custody and is being questioned by detectives.

Police Scotland said: "A 52-year-old woman has today, Sunday, June 11, been arrested as a suspect in connection with the ongoing investigation into the funding and finances of the Scottish National Party."

Officers are probing the spending of around £600,000 earmarked for independence campaigning, as part of Operation Branchform.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... dium=email

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 11:40 am

Is this a political act brought on by capital/royalty, or is she truly culpable?

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 12:00 pm

Nicola Sturgeon released without charge pending further investigations after being arrested by police earlier on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-65873423

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 12:02 pm

I always thought it was a bit odd how she resigned just before all this first kicked off with her husband. I mean it was a bit of a coincidence.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 12:07 pm

Devolution is a disaster, full stop. The United Kingdom was doing perfectly well in the mid-1990s before all this rubbish started, thanks to the Blair government of the time.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jun 2023, 1:21 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
Is this a political act brought on by capital/royalty, or is she truly culpable?

:lol:

There seems to have been reasonable grounds for her arrest. It remains to be seen whether anyone will be convicted of an offence.

Capital or royalty :lol: That grossly misunderstands how the British police functions. It's a mixture of petty malice, organisation incompetence, and short-sighted laws made to appeal to base voters.

DeepHour wrote:
Devolution is a disaster, full stop. The United Kingdom was doing perfectly well in the mid-1990s before all this rubbish started, thanks to the Blair government of the time.

In the mid-90s, dissident groups were running bombing campaigns in order to secure their independence from the UK.

I, for one, am glad that the Troubles are over, which was only possible through the power-sharing agreement.

If Northern Ireland gets its own government then it's only fair that Scotland and Wales do too. Don't want to say "the only way you get self-governance is if you bomb Downing Street a few times".

That leaves over 50 million elephants in the room, but the question of what devolution deal would be right for England is a whole other topic.

Other than that, I find it hard to say devolution has been a disaster (especially in Scotland and Wales). Those governments have hardly done worse than Westminster.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 4:01 am

So...is ms Sturgeon, what Trump pretends to be...a victim of a "weaponized judicial system"?

Or is she what Trump really is...corrupt as hell- and getting her just deserts?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 4:21 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So...is ms Sturgeon, what Trump pretends to be...a victim of a "weaponized judicial system"?

Or is she what Trump really is...corrupt as hell- and getting her just deserts?

Unclear as yet, but probably neither. It's not the same as the legal issues that plague Trump and Johnson.

Nicola Sturgeon, although I disagree with her politics, was a serious politician. She demonstrated a lifelong interest in politics from a very young age and became highly skilled as a politician. She held together the SNP for a long time - anyone who can do that has considerable ability.

She is not a chancer and a narcissist like Trump and Johnson who are only interested in advancing their own interests and don't really care about how they do that. Sturgeon really cared about Scottish independence and worked hard to bring it about, thankfully unsuccessfully so far. It's hard to imagine her deliberately trashing that legacy for a few hundred thousand pounds.

But it does look like there were some serious irregularities in how campaign donations were spent. It's unclear as yet how much Sturgeon herself had to do with, or how much knowledge she had of it, but given her husband's involvement it doesn't look great.

So I don't think this is "Just another corrupt politician..." story, or a judicial witch-hunt story.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 4:42 pm

I've always thought Nicola Sturgeon was a demagogue & I have never liked her.

It wouldn't surprise me if she is crooked with finances.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 4:55 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

Somehow I read this as "... if she is cooked with bacon ..."

I must be hungry.

Who is she?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 4:56 pm

Rossall wrote:
Nicola Sturgeon has issued a statement shortly after being arrested during a police investigation into the SNP's finances.

Scotland's longest-serving First Minister, who stepped down in March, is in custody and is being questioned by detectives.

Reading is so helpful.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 5:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Somehow I read this as "... if she is cooked with bacon ..."

I must be hungry.

Who is she?

First minister of Scotland and was the leader of the Scottish National Party from 2014 to 2023.

Most of the time I saw her on television, she was going on about how good Scotland are and how much better they would be off outside of the UK, to the point of endless optimism. But the tone of her speeches weren't optimistic, rather, they just sounded like ranting.

She often seemed to be espousing falsehoods/myths of future Scotland's sovereignty, in her mind.