Dilbert being dropped after authors racist remarks

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 10:24 pm

Media publishers drop Dilbert comic strip after creator’s Black ‘hate group’ remark

Quote:
The creator of the Dilbert comic strip faced cancellations Saturday as he defended remarks describing people who are Black as members of “a hate group” from which white people should “get away.”

Various media publishers across the U.S. denounced the comments by Dilbert creator Scott Adams as racist, hateful and discriminatory while saying they would no longer provide a platform for his work.

Andrews McMeel Syndication, which distributes Dilbert, did not immediately respond Saturday to requests for comment. But Adams defended himself on social media against those whom he said “hate me and are canceling me.”

Dilbert is a long-running comic that pokes fun at office-place culture.

The backlash began following an episode this past week of the YouTube show, “Real Coffee with Scott Adams.” Among other topics, Adams referenced a Rasmussen Reports survey that had asked whether people agreed with the statement “It’s OK to be white.”

Most agreed, but Adams noted that 26% of Black respondents disagreed and others weren’t sure.

The Anti-Defamation League says the phrase was popularized in 2017 as a trolling campaign by members of the discussion forum 4chan but then began being used by some white supremacists.

Adams, who is white, repeatedly referred to people who are Black as members of a “hate group” or a “racist hate group” and said he would no longer “help Black Americans.”

“Based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people,” Adams said on his Wednesday show.

In another episode of his online show Saturday, Adams said he had been making a point that “everyone should be treated as an individual” without discrimination.

“But you should also avoid any group that doesn’t respect you, even if there are people within the group who are fine,” Adams said.

The Los Angeles Times cited Adams’ “racist comments” while announcing Saturday that Dilbert will be discontinued Monday in most editions and that its final run in the Sunday comics — which are printed in advance — will be March 12.

The San Antonio Express-News, which is part of Hearst Newspapers, said Saturday that it will drop the Dilbert comic strip, effective Monday, “because of hateful and discriminatory public comments by its creator.”

The USA Today Network tweeted Friday that it also will stop publishing Dilbert “due to recent discriminatory comments by its creator.”

The Plain Dealer in Cleveland and other publications that are part of Advance Local media also announced that they are dropping Dilbert.

Christopher Kelly, vice president of content for NJ Advance Media, wrote that the news organization believes in “the free and fair exchange of ideas.”

“But when those ideas cross into hate speech, a line must be drawn,” Kelly wrote.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 10:26 pm

I guess it's "cancel culture" to not want to associate with racist as*holes. :roll:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 4:51 am

Ah, Clot Adams. I suppose even he deserves context:

Well, Rasmussen Poll had a provocative little poll today. They said, er: “Do you agree or disagree with the statement, er, ‘It’s OK to be white’?”

That was an actual question. Rasmussen asked, you know, white and black voters—and probably others—er, “Do you disagree or agree with the statement: ‘It’s OK to be white’?” Twenty-six percent of blacks said, er , “No. It’s not OK to be white.” Twenty-one percent weren’t sure. Add ’em together, that is forty-seven percent of black respondents were not willing to say: “It’s OK to be white.”

That … that, actually … that’s, like, a real poll. This just happened. Did you have any idea [laughs], would you have imagined that that could have happened?

So I realized, um … As you know, I’ve been identifying as black for a while—years now, ‘cos I like, y’know, I like to be on the winning team. And I like to help. I always thought: If you help the black community, that’s sort of the biggest lever, you know, you could … you can find the biggest benefit.

So I thought, well, that’s the hardest thing and the biggest benefit; so I’d like to focus a lot of my life resources in helping black Americans. So much so that I started identifying as black, to just be on the team I was helping.

But it turns out that nearly half of that team, er, doesn’t think, ah, I’m OK to be white. Which of course is why I identified as black—so I could be on the winning team for a while.

But I have to say, er, this is the first political poll that ever changed my activities. I don’t know that that’s ever happened before. Normally you see a poll, you just look at it and you go, “Aaah, whatever. [Laughs.] Y’know: this is interesting, what other people think …” But as of today I’m going to re-identify as white ‘cos I don’t want to be a member of a hate group.

I have accidentally joined a Hate group. So if … if nearly half of all blacks, er, are not OK with white people—according to this poll, not according to me—according to this poll, er, that’s a hate group. That’s a hate group and I don’t want to have anything to do with them.

And I would say, y’know, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from black people. Just get the f*** away. Where … wherever you have to go, just get away, ‘cos there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed. Right? You just have to escape.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 8:24 am

thank you, context is important. I was wondering what was "actually said"

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2023, 9:33 am

So, with the context, my first response is “wow, that guy’s an as*hole.”

Now the question becomes - do you want to give your money to an as*hole? How talented does the as*hole have to be for you to be willing to support him in order to enjoy his art? And “cancel culture” is basically a bunch of people deciding “in light of your recent behavior, we don’t think that your work has enough value to us for us to continue supporting you financially.”

Cancel culture is literally capitalism in action.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2023, 9:45 am

Although given that his net worth is variously reported at 50 or 75 million dollars, one assumes that the “currency” that he is being denied that matters to him is attention, or perhaps approval, since I’m sure he’s about to get a big boost of attention.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 10:38 am

If anyone here is interested in learning more about this "outrage" than you've read in the MSM headlines, you might find the full context worth knowing:

Darron

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 12:03 pm

Seems relevant, but it seems like Scott Adams would prefer a bigger shovel.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2023, 12:38 pm

That is a very long video. After about twenty seconds, what I had learned was that I cannot listen to his voice and speaking style for more than about twenty seconds.

I might read a transcript, but honestly, while I sometimes find Dilbert funny when I run across it, I don’t seek it out, I don’t subscribe to a paper that carries it, and I have never bought any dilbert merchandise, so I guess I cancelled him years ago and this is not really relevant to me, aside from the fact that I wish people in general would think about things before they talk.

Maybe he’s like, well that came out all wrong. Ok, learning experience. Some learning experiences suck.

Where I work there is an employee who used bad judgement last week and a kid got hurt. Said employee has always been popular enough with costumers to be an asset to the bottom line. This employee will either be fired or not fired based solely on the decisions made by the child’s parents and the potential effect of those decisions on the businesses financial well being. How the employee feels about the incident and wether any learning occurred will only matter if it matters to those parents. Capitalism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 5:34 pm

Dilbert creator, who called Black Americans a 'hate group,' faces more fallout

Quote:
Dilbert comic strip creator Scott Adams on Monday faced continued fallout from remarks that likened Black Americans to a "hate group," with a publisher withdrawing plans for a forthcoming book.

Portfolio, a Penguin Random House imprint, said in a statement that it would “not be publishing 'Reframe Your Brain' by Scott Adams."

The book, which was scheduled to be in bookstores and online Sept. 12, was marketed as a self-help title to help reframe one's outlook with focus and repetition.

Adams, 65, who has said that he's a victim of so-called cancel on Monday tweeted that his book agent is no longer representing him.

Late Sunday, the distributor of Adams' Dilbert said it was severing ties with the cartoonist.

Elon Musk defends racist tirade by Dilbert creator Scott Adams
Quote:
Elon Musk accused US media of racism on Sunday, defending racist comments made by Dilbert cartoon creator Scott Adams on YouTube last week.

Twitter's CEO tweeted media that used to be racist against non-whites is now "racist against whites & Asians".

In the same tweet, Mr Musk continued to allege that "elite colleges & high schools in America" are also racist.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

littletreesroyalpine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2023, 7:48 pm

I don't understand how what he said is racist.
I don't agree with what he said I don't hold the same opinion but I still don't see how what he said is a racist statement.
Can someone explain cuz it just does not compute

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 9:58 pm

Even with the context, he didn't have to call the black Americans answering the poll that way a hate group, and he didn't have to leap to "don't associate with them anymore." Both those statements are pretty bad. My response to that poll result is a simple, "Sad but I guess we all still have a lot to learn about each other." The lesson he needs to learn is to hold his tongue, especially when in doubt about what he's just heard, or feeling hurt by it. Neither are good times to speak.

Newspapers get to act in what they see as their own best financial interest, period. There is no indication they are reacting to pressure. They're reading the room with a very cautious eye and choosing not to take chances for a while.

Some of these cases eventually resolve; some just dig deeper graves. It's the price of being in the public eye.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 10:52 pm

I just burned all of my 'Dilbert' material.  It just took up space on my bookshelves, anyway.

:(

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 11:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I guess it's "cancel culture" to not want to associate with racist as*holes. :roll:

I doubt any reasonable person couldn't see how inappropriate the comment was.
I think you are conflating genuine concerns about political abuse with outright signs of racism.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 11:57 pm

Mikah wrote:
Ah, Clot Adams. I suppose even he deserves context:

Well, Rasmussen Poll had a provocative little poll today. They said, er: “Do you agree or disagree with the statement, er, ‘It’s OK to be white’?”

That was an actual question. Rasmussen asked, you know, white and black voters—and probably others—er, “Do you disagree or agree with the statement: ‘It’s OK to be white’?” Twenty-six percent of blacks said, er , “No. It’s not OK to be white.” Twenty-one percent weren’t sure. Add ’em together, that is forty-seven percent of black respondents were not willing to say: “It’s OK to be white.”

That … that, actually … that’s, like, a real poll. This just happened. Did you have any idea [laughs], would you have imagined that that could have happened?

So I realized, um … As you know, I’ve been identifying as black for a while—years now, ‘cos I like, y’know, I like to be on the winning team. And I like to help. I always thought: If you help the black community, that’s sort of the biggest lever, you know, you could … you can find the biggest benefit.

So I thought, well, that’s the hardest thing and the biggest benefit; so I’d like to focus a lot of my life resources in helping black Americans. So much so that I started identifying as black, to just be on the team I was helping.

But it turns out that nearly half of that team, er, doesn’t think, ah, I’m OK to be white. Which of course is why I identified as black—so I could be on the winning team for a while.

But I have to say, er, this is the first political poll that ever changed my activities. I don’t know that that’s ever happened before. Normally you see a poll, you just look at it and you go, “Aaah, whatever. [Laughs.] Y’know: this is interesting, what other people think …” But as of today I’m going to re-identify as white ‘cos I don’t want to be a member of a hate group.

I have accidentally joined a Hate group. So if … if nearly half of all blacks, er, are not OK with white people—according to this poll, not according to me—according to this poll, er, that’s a hate group. That’s a hate group and I don’t want to have anything to do with them.

And I would say, y’know, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from black people. Just get the f*** away. Where … wherever you have to go, just get away, ‘cos there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed. Right? You just have to escape.

My honest impression? :chin:
He dug himself a deeper hole the more he spoke. 8O :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 11:58 pm

autisticelders wrote:
thank you, context is important. I was wondering what was "actually said"

And exactly what did you get out of that?